Edmunds Path trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was kind of the genesis of the original question. I was packing for the trip on Wednesday am, not needing the bag until Friday pm, and thinking about it while I moved it from its closet sack to the compression sack. My backpack (one of the old Dana Terraflex monsters) is such that I really want to crank the bag down to the smallest size. Oddly, it's so that I can then fit my puffy coat in there, too!

Anyway, the anecdote is that there was no problem at all with that limited squishing; the bag was wonderful as usual. And the puffy coat, and the down booties.

By the way, my buddy spent for a down-filled air mattress and (other than the klugy dry-bag inflator) LOVED it. Looked a tad bulky, but he said it beefed up his sleeping bag rating nicely. "Exped," he called it.

Anyway, the anecdote is that there was no problem at all with that limited squishing; the bag was wonderful as usual. And the puffy coat, and the down booties.
And for limited squishing this is what you should expect. But long term, it will shorten the life of the bag or jacket. If you want it to last for 15 years you should treat it more gently. If you plan on replacing it in 5 years it won't really matter.

And for limited squishing this is what you should expect. But long term, it will shorten the life of the bag or jacket. If you want it to last for 15 years you should treat it more gently. If you plan on replacing it in 5 years it won't really matter.

Well, my down jacket is there mostly for emergency situations. I got a end-of-season deal from EMS for like $45 or something. It's a hideous shade of orange which is exactly the color I'd want to be wearing in such a situation.

I have discovered, this winter, the joy of having things in stuff sacks in my pack. Less chance of losing a loose item. It's a mini-pack in the big pack, and they are organized by the relative frequency of use -

Down jacket - least accesible
Warm fleece jacket + additional pants layer (Swix XC warm-up pants)
Rain pants, extra hats, extra gloves and liners.
And the I use the top compartment for one extra glove / hat / balaclava change and my goggles - the stuff I am highly likely to use.

If I needed the down jacket though it can be pulled out without removing or losing the other stuff - makes the 40L pack pack a bit bigger than without the stuff sacks.

Sorry for the thread hijack, BTW!

Tim

Tim

I think that would be my bad!

That's why it's important to always reference the original question, thusly:

"I used my puffy coat as ballast as I crossed Route 302 back to the Highland Center. I noticed that the trail from Crawford path to the Mt. Clinton Road parking area was broken out, but that the lot was still not plowed out when we hit the road."

How's that?

Well, my down jacket is there mostly for emergency situations. I got a end-of-season deal from EMS for like $45 or something. It's a hideous shade of orange which is exactly the color I'd want to be wearing in such a situation.
IIRC, you don't winter camp. If you did, you would likely use it most (all?) nights out.

Doug

IIRC, you don't winter camp. If you did, you would likely use it most (all?) nights out.

I don't camp (winter or any other season) but I carry it to wear if I were to have sit down and wait for help. I have not ever needed it, but carrying it and having it not work is not a good thing. When I have taken it out of the sack, it does puff up pretty quickly - just a minute or two.

Oh, the stuff sacks tend to keep things drier too!

Tim

Oh, the stuff sacks tend to keep things drier too!
Stuff sacks leak (seams or worn material). If you line your stuff sacks for sleeping bags and down jackets with plastic bags, the plastic will guarantee that the contents stay dry and make them easier to stuff. (The nylon sleeping bag/jacket shell slides more easily over the plastic than it does over the nylon of the stuff sack.)

For stuff sacks containing small (non-expanding) objects, do not fill the stuff sack (or use an oversize one). It will pack much better in your pack.

All this from "Edmunds Path trailhead"... :)

Doug

I have discovered, this winter, the joy of having things in stuff sacks in my pack. Less chance of losing a loose item. It's a mini-pack in the big pack, and they are organized by the relative frequency of use -
There is also a safety in carrying your stuffed jacket or sleeping bag at the bottom of your pack: if you fall backwards, straighten your body and land on the jacket/sleeping bag rather than your tail or extending your arms behind you. Reduces the chance of a broken coccyx or wrist.

--M. said:
That's why it's important to always reference the original question, thusly:
The above suggestion is in case you fall backwards while approaching or crossing Rte 302. If you happen to use it in other locations, you are on your own...

Doug

Now that the "Care and Treatment of Down Garments and Equipment" has been duly addressed, I have a question about the Edmands Path Trailhead, quite possibly the same question that Mohammed intended to pose for his "friend."

To avoid a walk on the possibly snow machine-packed Mt. Clinton Road from Crawford Notch to, or from, the Edmands Path, and to facilitate a lengthy hike in the Southern Presies, complete with carspotting at Webster Cliff Trail and at the site in question:

Can you drive a regular front-wheel drive vehicle down Base Road to Mt. Clinton Road?

Is there parking at, or near, this intersection?

Can you drive a regular front-wheel drive vehicle down Mt. Clinton Road from said point (on Base Road) to the Edmands Path Trailhead?

If not, is Mt. Clinton Road packed by the weight of snow machines from said point (on Base Road) to the Edmands Path?

Can you drive a regular front-wheel drive vehicle down Base Road to Mt. Clinton Road?

Yes - the road is plowed as is the Cog Parking areas

Is there parking at, or near, this intersection?

No - parking on the Cog Base road is not allowed.

Can you drive a regular front-wheel drive vehicle down Mt. Clinton Road from said point (on Base Road) to the Edmands Path Trailhead?

No - the road is gated and the snow is deep although packed down by snowmobiles and the grooming equipment.

If not, is Mt. Clinton Road packed by the weight of snow machines from said point (on Base Road) to the Edmands Path?

Yes - althoguh snowshoes or skis would be recommended.