Eisenhower on 1/13.....few ?'s

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onrhodes

Reaction score
We're thinking of doing Eisenhower on Sunday (1/13) and I was wondering about the couple choices.

1) There is the Up Crawford Path option which seems like fun and exposes you for quite awhile to the open and potential conditions.

2) Walking up Mt Clinton Rd to the Edmands Path (or is it Edmunds?) which appears the shortest route to Eisehower in the Summer, but the added road walk makes it of course longer.

3) Is the approach to Edmands Path shorter from the Cog Rail side of Mt Clinton road? Can we park on the road there?

4) I read something briefly about using the Dry River option which I admittedly don't know much about.

5) Any other options?

Thanks in advance.

-Pete

My two cents...I assume you mean 1/13 - not 11/13!

I believe Mount Clinton Road may have you competing with skiers and snowmobiles - not a great option.
Dry River is a seldom used trail and likely to be buried in a ton of snow
Crawford Path is the way to go in my opinion - quick stop at Pierce and on to Ike...Crawford Path is never too difficult, well travelled and real nice above treeline. It is a good day hike on a nice winter day.
Have fun! :)

I went up Crawford Path to Pierce and Eisenhower the other day. Took Edmands Path down and walked Mt. Clinton Road back. There was evidence of plenty of snowmobiles on the road but we didn't see a single one over the 2 miles or so.

-Dr. Wu

Edmunds Path from the Cog side is a longish approach, with lots of ups and downs - personally, I'd avoid it. And as Doug points out - don't do Dry River.

As for approaching Eisenhower from Edmunds (and the necessary roadwalk) versus via Clinton/Pierce - I think it's a tossup. You can make a good case for pros and cons each way, and create a loop hike or simply an out 'n back - it's all about the same effort.

If 'getting' Eisenhower is important, then go up Edmands, and if conditions permit, go down via Crawford and tag Clinton/Pierce on the way by - it adds but 15 minutes to the hike.

If it's a beautiful day with low winds, I'd do it via Crawford in both directions - that keeps you above treeline for the longest period of time.

Suggest clockwise if doing loop

If you want to do the loop, I'd suggest going UP Edmands and down Crawford. If Edmunds is not broken out, then this gets breaking trail out of the way early, when energy is highest, and gives you a quick exit. I prefer doing the roadwalk early too, while people are still chatty. Seems to make it do by quicker. Finally, if snow machines are on Clinton Rd, better to share in the daylight when they can see you.
Ed

As mentioned, Dry River Trail is a much longer route and probably not broken out, at least not all the way.

I would hike Crawford Path both ways. Since the roadwalk is on a snowmobile trail and the other option is a hike along a beautiful, scenic, open ridge, I'd choose the ridge.

Here's a view toward Mt. Eisenhower from Mt. Pierce...

122607089x.jpg

happy trails :)

Totally apart from considerations of the bridge, Dry River in winter is an awful idea.

Almost every winter a hiker looks at his/her maps and says: "Gee, I could make a nice loop over Pierce, going up Crawford and out by Mt Clinton Trail" or something similar. How do I know? I write them up in the accident reports section of Appalachia.

Not only are these trails very lightly used (deep, unbroken snow), but being in a Wilderness Area they are intentionally maintained at a much lower level. Loosing the trail is very easy; getting out is not.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Totally apart from considerations of the bridge, Dry River in winter is an awful idea.
I've been in the Dry River area in winter (back when the bridge was in service). We were attempting Isolation as a 3-dayer. There was no sign of anyone else the whole way. We also had some trail finding difficulty at a few spots.

Trail breaking was easy low down, but we were stopped by deep snow, blowdowns, and time on the Isolation Trail. Never even reached Davis Path. Obviously conditions will vary, but if you have to ask about how to hike Eisenhower, you shouldn't try this route.

My suggestion would be the following: unless you know that Edmands Tr is broken out, go up Crawford Tr. When you reach Eisenhower, you can decide to return or go down Edmands Tr. If Edmands turns out to be broken, fine. If not, it will be much easier to break downhill than uphill. (Just make sure you stay on the trail.)

Doug

Last edited:
sapblatt said:
My two cents...I assume you mean 1/13 - not 11/13!

But it does say 1/13?! :confused:

Either way, Thanks for the info people. I don't mind the road walk, I was just looking for opinions on the options. I take a little offense to the "if you have to ask" comment because you seem to be making a lot of assumptions.........
But that is a whole different thread :rolleyes:

Anyways. I don't "need" to get this peak. I did my 4K's and I don't care about the winter list. My friend Erik is about half done. We did Pierce-Jackson back in December so part of my reasoning is I just don't feel like doing Crawford again so soon, but it does sound like the more interesting loop with the ridge walking. When I did Eisenhower it was up Ammo to Lake of Clouds, over to Eisenhower and down Edmands. That was almost over 2 years ago now, so I'm kind of interested in the edmands part option. We'll see what my buddy thinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
onrhodes said:
But it does say 1/13?! :confused:
Sometimes, the moderators come in and fix up typos when you aren't looking. Don't bother to thank us; we're not listening.

:)

People make assumptions because they don't know you personally; they're trying to give the safest advice they know how. Please don't take any of it personally, it's a side effect of message board life.