Elk Lake trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadpoint

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the road to the Elk Lake trailhead closes for the winter season?

When they do close it, you can still drive to within 2 miles of the trailhead all winter. I don't know what triggers the closure of the last 2 miles.

When they do close it, you can still drive to within 2 miles of the trailhead all winter. I don't know what triggers the closure of the last 2 miles.
I beleive they close it becuase of the deer hunting season, not sure what the date is but it has to be soon.

According to the DEC website:

•The Clear Pond Gate and the trails on the Elk Lake Conservation Easement Lands are closed to public use until the end of the big game hunting season. The trails will reopen to the public on December 7, however, the Clear Pond gate will remain closed until the next spring.

As I recall, the last 2 miles of road into the trailhead generally aren't plowed in the winter, which is why it's closed to vehicle traffic. There is a residence on the road in (the caretakers house I think?) that the plows turn around at.

Any beta when the clear pond gate will be closing this year? Thanks

This question came up recently on another forum.

It is either Oct. 16 or Oct. 23. The latter date is the beginning of northern zone big game hunting season.

Note: The Elk Lake PROPERTY is not open to the public during hunting season, even though you could walk the extra two miles on the closed road.

Worst case, you drive up between the 16th and 22th and the road is closed, you can still walk in, but not after that through Dec. 6.

This question came up recently on another forum.

It is either Oct. 16 or Oct. 23. The latter date is the beginning of northern zone big game hunting season.

Note: The Elk Lake PROPERTY is not open to the public during hunting season, even though you could walk the extra two miles on the closed road.

Worst case, you drive up between the 16th and 22th and the road is closed, you can still walk in, but not after that through Dec. 6.

Thanks for that important clarification, Joe.