Escape the Escarpment '05 report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've now added captions to all the photos. The problem is hikers sometimes look nothing like their hiker persona when they are cleaned up and eating dinner. So please verify that I got the right names. I've use screen names throughout, unless I didn't know them.

Here's the link again: VFTT folks at the Escarpment

Thanks

It was a fun weekend, and enjoyable meeting everyone. The hike while hard was worth the pain in my feet so we can raise money for a great cause. The blueberry pancakes are good at the Krooked Cafe too!

SpongeBob's evil take on the hike.(hey the little bugger dictated it to me.)
3AM, I went into the Pot–of-Gold bar and meet up with WR1 & WR2 from last year’s Devil’s path hike campground lore. We all karaoke sing “Devil went down to Georgia” by Charlie Daniels. (WR2 can really sing.) As I know this will piss everyone off trying to sleep. I then do sound checks for the sound system, since their volume goes up to 11 and not 10. Eleven is like one more louder then ten. 4AM, I put porcupines on the Escarpment trail to give Funky Freddy something to take pictures of, as I anticipate piece of junk New York views. I think a bunch of us started hiking around 5:30 in the morning. And there was an earlier crew too. The Hike up Windham High Peak had lots of wild flowers, and the sun was coming up. Seema and Brian are hiking up as well. The views of the Blackheads were really nice. Over to burnt knob Mtn Goat, JimB, and Hermit cruised ahead. And then we went down to Batavia Kill where Papa Bear and TeeJay were. I thought Papa Bear’s name was spelled Papa “Beer”, and I was anticipating a brewski. No such luck. Funky Freddy told a blonde joke, which was funny. He figured he should tell the joke here instead of Dutcher’s Notch as Miss Margaret would not understand the joke. Then away to Blackhead mountain. Ok, I am sucking wind going up now, Jay takes a picture of this for to my dismay. But I can’t do anything about it as I am too tired to throw a rock at his head. Matt won’t even give me a piggyback ride either. I put some rocks in Jay’s pack near the summit of Blackhead to get even with him. Tmax is on the summit too! Jade explains about her Humpty Dumpty theology. She has signed me up as they make some pretty good potato chips. Matt and Funky Freddy talked about seventies music. There are lots of view points along the way towards the Hudson and the other way towards Hunter and Sugarloaf. I took a great picture of Hunter and a nice pond, and Matt had to take the same picture; what a jerk. Then to Dutcher Notch., and there is Warren and Miss Margaret. Warren talks about how he was delivered pizza on like more than 6000 feet before, but can’t deliver one himself up to 2600 feet for us. Geesh pretty selfish. Miss Margaret threw rocks at little kittens that hiked up too! I wanted to eat more food at this stop, but if that meant Warren and Miss Margaret had to carry more weight down then a hungry stomach was worth it. I met up with Askus3 here too. Matt and I hiked up towards Stoppel point. Askus3(Aaron) was resting at a nice view point, so we hiked with him. The plane wreck was right near the trail. Matt and I devised a plan to get rid of Aaron. We told him there was a nice view point two tenths of a mile in the woods. And when he started hiking in we sprinted away. Matt pointed out a nice baseball field to me. I thought it was strange a cow was playing left field. Maybe that was a farm Matt? The trail got a bit rougher around North mountain/North point. North and South pond were nice to look at, and it was a cool stony ridge. North Point had good crowd on top. Matt & I met Darren, and he provided me with some cookies which were excellent. Over Artist rock and down to the North lake campground for the long awaited Klondike ice cream bar. But Matt ate the last one right in front of me. Then some punk hikers make fun of us as they state they say they finished the Escarpment trail several hours ago. So off to South Mountain and the last four or so miles of the hike. The view points are excellent and the woods are beautiful, but that is not what you are thinking. You are thinking who designed this trail, so it must go over every freaking bump there is? Why is the trail going in the wrong direction? And why is Matt fighting a Japanese tourist with boxing gloves? We pass Inspiration point and no Fonzie or Richie Cunningham from Happy Days. The views to Kaaterskill and Round mountain are pretty cool though. The rain started on us. At this point my feet hurt really bad and I know I have some killer blisters. Matt and I are renaming all the prominent lookouts to not so censor approved names. But Matt does have a rock named after him now. We are almost near the end of the hike, when the low point of the day happened. Up ahead could that be Dawn? Yep. So three mountain bikers and a little elevation gain and we finished the hike, where everybody is having fun.

I had a great time! I spent almost as much time gawking as I did walking, and most the hikers caught up with me as I gazed at the scenery in an endorphin fueled buzz. I crossed paths or hiked for a bit w everyone, which was a lot of fun for me. We really lucked out with the conditions, and it was great that Warren, Margaret, Teejay, Papabear, and Darren strategically placed themselves with WATER and ICE CREAM, the ice cream giving me a nice buzz to finish the final stretch on.

Lots of thanks are due to everyone, especially to Jay for organising things, Dawn for giving me a ride, letting me use her cell phone, and giving us a nice early start on the trail w her, Seema, and Brian, all the support people (especially Darren, who waited longer for us and gave me a ride to the shower before dinner!) Al (ajtiv) who gave me a ride to the Catskills and back with great conversation, Aaron who showed me the old path to the top of Kaaterskill Falls at the end of the trail, and all of the good characters I hiked with all day!

I'm going to try and get some of my pictures up later - I took over a 150 and have a few good ones to share! Thanks again to everyone for a nice adventure!

hahahahaha! If I had known SpongeBob was so funny and entertaining I would have slowed waaaay down to have hiked with him and Matt!! I tiried to tell him heels were no good on that type of terrain, next time maybe he'll listen! Whatdaya expect he's from Maine.......Margaret, what's your address? I'm sending the ASPCA over to your place, poor little kittens....
Think I may join Cantdog on the Midstate Trail this weekend for another 23 miler. What, am I nuts?!

Poor Humpty Dumpty, all the queens horses and all the queen's women couldn't put HD back together again.......xo...Jade

Glad to be a part of it.

I was happy to be a small part of the support for this hike. Congratulations to all those who finished. I'm in awe of your accomplishment knowing that I probably would not have had the stamina or determination to finish as you did.

It was particularly heartening to experience the generosity of some of the other "tourists" we met that day who willingly chipped in to the TBTS cause. Thanks go to an unnamed couple, Lou, Mike and the ladies of the Catskill 3500 Club trail crew who donated on trail.

teejay

Lost and Found

Warren said:
I vote that spongebobs location be changed to nyc.

Enough sarcasm in that one to be an honorary city boy.....

I concur, Warren. I'll have to forgive his dissing of our incredible river.

I think I may have lost my watch this weekend which makes me feel incredibly stupid since I never should have brought it in the first place. :( I don't use it on the trail, I just had it w/ me when I left Friday. Anyhow, it's not likely, but if anyone found it, please PM me. It's a Dakota pocketwatch. I already phoned both our campground and N-S Lake and left messages. Oh well, live and learn... :rolleyes:

Matt

Campsite

After breakfast and after Ed and Carol split, teejay and I went back to Pot O Gold and I helped Teejay take down his tent, I also walked around just to make sure if everybody had everything and I didn't see your watch, although of course, I could have missed it.

Webshot photos

Little did Spongebob know, that I planned this entire hike last year after being annoyed that Spongebob decides to show up late for my Dare to Dayhike the Devil's Path event. He smuggly strolls off Plateau towards Notch Lake thinking he could smooch some food off foodstop, while Laura and Jim B rest. So after some planning, I conjured up the "Let's Push Spongebob off a cliff" event. Perhaps it could be an annual affair. I didn't think that would fly in amongst all of you hikers so I called it "Escape the Escarpment". What better place to try it than on a ridge, a couple thousand feet above the Hudson Valley.

In that end, we left the trailhead at 5:30amish, in chase of Brian and Seema and a few others who snuck off early. An eerie fog was enveloping the town of Windham and the sun was poking up over the campground from whence we came. A nice stroll up towards Windham through the pretty forest after the Elm Ridge trail. Ideas of just tripping Spongebob or lighting spongebob himself on fire, dance through my mind, but I wait. Patience grasshopper.

Anyway, finally getting views on Windham, we point out Albany (which looks like it's on fire by the smoke) and move on. by around 9:30, we've past Brian and Seema chugging their way towards Windham and reach TeeJay and Papa Bear on the trail. After watching TeeJay play with a leaking bladder thing, we partake in some photo taking and eventually move on. At this point, we're slowly splitting again in smaller groups. Catching up at the viewpoints. Too many people here to throw Sponge off the cliff here, wait for later...

Get to Blackhead, catch Adrian trying to put rocks in my pack, unfortunately, the summit of blackhead isn't that exposed so shelf plans on disemboweling spongebob with my hiking pole and tossing it over a cliff. However, at this point, Spongebob meets Terri's Jerry Bear and well, some real strange karma goes on..

A few more miles and a nice descent towards Dutcher's Notch is reached... See Warren and Margaret trying to push water and trail mix on everybody...Met Dawn there alrady eating food. I do my part and carry a ziplock of trailmix and chocolate raisins all the way to the end. Although I did eat those chocolate raisins for mini-breakfast on sunday, the trail mix has been put in my closet for later pickings.... Good job on the fruit though. At this point, there was a slight gap between Ralph and I and Matt, Sponge, and everybody else. Aaron shows up! More pictures are taken. Dawn, Ralph and I leave for Stoppel Point headed towards the airplane crash...

After Stoppel point, all I think about is ice cream and Darren's cache so when Ralph and I run into darren just south of north Point, we fuzzily get directions and push off in search of ice cream. Mistakenly though ice cream was AT artist rock and spent the whole time at artists rock, not looking at views but bushwacking in the pines looking for a damm cooler. Scare a bunch of sneaker hikers while wandering in the woods... Think this is a good spot to push Spongebob off a cliff but he is too far behind us.

Anyway, eventually turn over every leaf and decide that Darren wouldn't drag a cooler up here by himself so we push on... Eventually finding the cache by the parking lot with a note on it and melting Klondike bars inside. Eat one and eat a sundae and save the italian ice for the stragglers thinking they would last the longest. Yum, ice cream.

homestretch! Although this is the painful part because the trail south of north point is a pain as it's on loose slate and loses a bit of elevation as it goes towards layman's monument. Rocks remind me of the Devil's Path but we are rewarded with some nice views of KHP and Roundtop and Kaaterskill Clove. The trail passes the upper part of Kaaterskill Falls and people are heard on the falls themselves. Then we hit the monument and the sludge up. Eventually, getting to the end just before it starts to rain... rain hard. I hope Sponge is getting real wet now.
I plant some land mines on Inspiration Point but Sponge somehow manages to miss them.. oh well, next year. Perhaps I can push him off the slide on Gothics... hmmm..

Jay

Last edited:
Distance/Elevation

sli74 said:
BTW, I know the mileage was something like 23.2 miles for this hike . . . anyone have any idea what the total elevation gain for the entire trail was? Thanks for the info,

sli74

By my GPS, the distance was 23.9 miles, and the total elevation gain was 5150 feet!

Fred

Now that I have recovered and have time to put my thoughts in print. Here is my synopsis.

I decided that to do a 23 miler, it would be better to get a good rest and sleep in my own bed. So I set my alarm for 2 AM Saturday and that is where my day began. It was planned that I would meet TJ at 4:45, so I was out of my house at 3 AM and at Scutt Road parking I met Terry & Ralph as well and we were all excited about this great journey that was going to take place. TJ arrived and we hopped in his car and took off. TJ - Thank you for babysitting my ice chest from the Gathering '04. Terry opted to hike half-way in and then retrace her steps back out. So off we went. When we arrived at East Windham trailhead all were there ready except for a few early risers who were off and running. I started right at 5:30 AM at the scheduled kick-off time. Now I am a schedule nut as everyone knows by now, so I devised a plan where I would rest at all the viewpoints and take my time and try to stretch the hike to take up all the daylight hours. So my plan was to start at 5:30 AM and finish by 7:30 PM. I would have stretched it to 8 PM (scheduled sunset) but Jay H. made dinner reservations for the group in Tannersville. During the course of the hike I was from ten minutes ahead of schedule to 20 minutes behind finishing 5 minutes early. What impressed me was that although I was tired, I had no blisters or ill effects from all that walking. Actually after a good nights sleep, I would have been ready to go the next day for more if my plans would have allowed. But I was very satisfied with my accomplishment and that I can still do what I did twenty years earlier. maybe you just never really do slow down when you get older.

As for the hike itself, i was surprised (should have expected) that nobody would want to hike at my pace until some crazy fellow with a name that is kind of Funky decided to entertain me for the last four miles and joined me for the finale. I started by ascending Windham High Peak slow and steady with a rest stop here and there. Played cat and mouse with Ed & Carol to Burnt Knob. At this point I was glad they were behind, because a map I lost they retrieved. Passed Seema & Brian somewhere near Acra Point. Then I was on my own all the way to Dutcher Notch (refueling stop #2), other than a quick hello to TJ & Papa Bear at batavia Kill and a brief visit with Funky Freddy & Turnaround Terry at the summit of Blackhead. Jade, I did see you at Dutcher Notch but as soon as I arrived - off you went, never to see you again. Then as I trudged up Stoppel Point two comedians, SpongeBob & Matt decided to catch up and hike with me to the plane wreck and then they decided they had enough of me so they sprinted ahead leaving me with "Fields of Dreams (???)" and cows, horses and pastures to browse upon. While I was soaking in the sun at the crowded North Point, Darren came along and i chatted briefly with him and then continued my solo trek southbound to bejoined briefly by Turnaround Terry. But she decided also that my rest stops were too plentiful so at Artists rock she was gone. Lastly, while i just got done sucking up my 2nd ice cream bar Funky freddy came along, so i gave him the Matt & SpongeBob ttreatment, but he wouldn't let me get a way withit and when the rains came we stuck together from the carriageways of old all the way to the bitter end. And that last 1/2 mile was bitter!!! Actually that last half-mile was the only part of the trail which was really pure drudgery. But there was Papa Bear & TJ to welcome us.

Then party & dinnertime in Tannersville where I practically (maybe I did) fell asleep and I still had a two hour drive. But with some Red Bull, windows open, Radio blaring & recent hiking memories with occaisional great company I made it home in one piece. Thank you all - it was a great day! I can't imagine Seema & Brian getting out at 10 PM - that is gutsy - sticking with it all those miles and successfully completing your journey. I really figured both of you would have given in to fatigue. I thought anyone staying behind my pace would shortcut out at North Lake or they would be coming out after dark.But congratulations in perservering.

Last edited:
For statistics lovers - my altimeter said we ascended 5,260 feet, so I guess my altimeter shows more gain than Fred's.

0.0 5:30 AM 1700 NY 23 - Start of Hike - East Windham, NY
1.2 6:00-6:05 2270 Elm Ridge Lean-to
--- 6:30-6:35 2740 Rest stop
--- 6:55 3200 Rest stop
3.3 7:10-7:20 3524 Windham High Peak
4.8 7:50 3000 View Southwest
5.8 8:10-8:20 3050 Burnt Knob
6.0 8:30 2750 Jct. Black Dome Trail on right
6.7 8:40-8:50 3000 Acra Point
--- 9:00 3120 View on left
8.5 9:35-9:45 2870 Jct. Batavia Kill Trail on right (Stop #1) TJ & Papa Bear
--- 10:00-10:05 3200 Rest stop
--- 10:20-10:25 3650 Rest stop
9.5 10:35-10:45 3940 Blackhead Mt.
--- 11:25-11:30 3280 Rest Stop
--- 11:35 3140 View on right
12.0 11:55-12:10 2530 Dutcher Notch (Stop #2) Warren
---- 12:45-12:50 3060 Rest Stop
14.3 1:20-1:35 3420 Stoppel Point
15.5 2:05-2:10 3160 North Mountain
16.0 2:20-2:40 2980 North Point - Darren
16.2 2:50 2750 Jct. Mary's Glen Trail - on right
16.8 3:10-3:15 2630 Badman Cave-Jct. Rock Shelter Trail-on right
17.3 3:30-3:35 2470 Newman's Ledge
17.5 3:45 2440 Jct. Yellow Spur Trail-on left
18.0 3:55-4:00 2280 Artists Rock
18.4 4:15-4:25 2170 North Lake Picnic Area (Stop#3) VFTT Coolers
18.7 4:35-4:40 2240 Catskill Mountain House site
19.2 4:55-5:00 2410 Boulder Rock
20.0 5:15-5:20 2450 First Schutt Road Trail Jct.-on right
20.5 5:30-5:35 2210 Jct. Long Path-on left
21.2 5:55-6:05 2110 Inspiration Point
21.4 6:10-6:15 2190 Sunset Rock
21.5 6:20 2160 Second Schutt Road Jct.-on right
21.9 6:35 1860 Layman Monument
22.4 6:50-7:00 1970 Top of Kaaterskill Falls
22.6 7:10 2070 3rd & last Schutt Road Trail Jct.-on right
23.2 7:25 2230 End of Hike-Schutt Road Parking Area-I made it!!!!!

Last edited:
askus3 said:
But I was very satisfied with my accomplishment and that I can still do what I did twenty years earlier. maybe you just never really do slow down when you get older.

As for the hike itself, i was surprised (should have expected) that nobody would want to hike at my pace until some crazy fellow with a name that is kind of Funky decided to entertain me for the last four miles and joined me for the finale.

Aaron,

I am happy to have done, at 64, what I couldn't have done 20 years earlier! I could never have done a hike this long, with that much gain at better than a 2 mph rate! But I had a carrot. Jay told me that two gorgeous girls in bikinis had started out a half hour before us! So off I went! Actually, Jay didn't tell the whole truth - they weren't wearing bikinis!
After Dutcher Notch, I didn't see any more of the rest of the group (except Darren going the other way) for the whole second half! I was sandwiched in between the lead three and Jay's contingent! But, from North Point to Boulder Rock, there plenty of casual hikers to talk to!

Congratulations to Jade! I told you you could do it - and you even did it in very good time! But Seema and Brian really deserve my admiration. There is a point after which time on the trail becomes more of a barrier than physical stress! After less than 11 1/2 hours, I was becoming trail-weary. I can only imagine how I would have felt after 17 hours, and starting and finishing in the dark! That was quite an accomplishment!

It was great to meet all of you. Special thanks to the support group(s)! When you are not hiking with a group, it's really lifting to meet a group of friendly faces along the way!

When's the next one!!??

Fred

askus3 said:
I can't imagine Seema & Brian getting out at 10 PM - that is gutsy - sticking with it all those miles and successfully completing your journey. I really figured both of you would have given in to fatigue. I thought anyone staying behind my pace would shortcut out at North Lake or they would be coming out after dark.But congratulations in perservering.

frytz said:
Aaron,
I am happy to have done, at 64, what I couldn't have done 20 years earlier! I could never have done a hike this long, with that much gain at better than a 2 mph rate! But I had a carrot. Jay told me that two gorgeous girls in bikinis had started out a half hour before us! So off I went! Actually, Jay didn't tell the whole truth - they weren't wearing bikinis!

. . .

But Seema and Brian really deserve my admiration. There is a point after which time on the trail becomes more of a barrier than physical stress! After less than 11 1/2 hours, I was becoming trail-weary. I can only imagine how I would have felt after 17 hours, and starting and finishing in the dark! That was quite an accomplishment!
Fred

Thank you both for the kind words. I spent quite a bit of time cursing my slow pace and really if it wasn't for Brian's persistent encouragement and humor, I know my spirits would've been low. But, Thanks to him, I was actually smiling and joking about "tagging the car" and turning around to hike back to Rt 23 and run the road miles to the campsite.

Mentally the toughest part was at the Mary Glen cut-off where the 2 mile bail-out was screaming my name and the 7+ miles that lay ahead was taunting me, we were there just about 5:30pm, I think. At that point Brian said to me, "What do you want to do, I will support any decision you make" and I knew "My body and mind wanted to bail and my heart wanted to go on SO we pushed on." Unfortunately for him, the quiet side of me only made a brief appearance between North Lake picnic area and Inspiration Point, I talked his ear off for over 15 hours, the poor guy, he probably deserves the most admiration.

When I got to North Lake Picnic Area I was wishing I hadn't told Darren to leave and not wait, I was CRAVING a treat.

I had the best time, and believe it or not, I was only mildly sore from the trip which surprised me a lot.

Jay, when is the next one?

sli74

Jay, when is the next one?

I dunno, I was thinking the hell with bringing all this camping gear to Rainier... I think I'll just tag the summit on Day one and go back down. :)

Hahahaha... I'm toying with the idea (some of you already know this) with doing the Great Range in the ADKs next year, but it would probably be either in late June/July or perhaps in the fall. I'm leaning towards June/July, perhaps near the solstice rather than the Fall due to the distance and daylight.

And of course, we'll really streamline our support needs due to the increase difficulty of resupply points.

Jay

Dang! I had a board meeting of the Catskill 3500 Club on Saturday, otherwise I would have gone for this. Missed friends, hike, pancakes, and 3 AM karaoke too (well, I don't mind the last)! Great job, all. And I love the photo album and sponge's version of events!

Since this was a fundraiser, where to send the funds, as I'd like to send my mite along?

Ted.

Fundraiser

Sorry you couldn't make it Ted! It was indeed a knee-slapping good time. Complete with Katskills Karaoke Klub.. Fred didn't get a chance to take out his guitar but maybe next time.

As far as donations go, you can send everything that you have to

BTS
124 Watertown Street, Suite 3H,
Watertown, MA 02472

Just put a note in it to inform TBTS folks that this is for the Escape the Escarpment hike and they'll know who it is for. Can you also just email/pm me how much you're sending so I can get a running tally.

Right now, I'm up to $2250! Great Work folks! :D :D :D

Jay

Hi Jay, I was thinking next year a Presidential traverse might be easier to organise and would probably raise more funds due to location. Resupply points are a lot easier, bail out points are all over the place, and water is easily available at the huts and water/food at the top of Mt. Washington. Not that I'm against a Great Range traverse, I just think a Presi one would be easier to organise and attract a lot more of our New England VFTT brethren. I'm very familiar with the area and would be glad to help you with it, not very familiar with the ADK's and find the idea of a Great Range traverse a bit daunting, given the elevation gain and lack of bail out and resupply points. Just my 2 cents.

I managed to get my photos into the computer yesterday, 193 of them! No wonder it took me so long to finish the hike - too busy gawkin', talkin', and clickin' away! I'll try to get some posted later. My feet are in suprisingly good shape, no blisters or hot spots, only a slight soreness in my thighs yesterday. I am fighting a whale of a cold though, was coughing most of the night. Oh well, I guess you have to pay to play some of the time...... :D Thanks, Fred

First off, big time thanks to Jay for organizing this BTS fundraising event!!! You did an awesome job setting everything up and I really appreciate the fact that you did it to raise funds for my favorite "pet" charity the Brain Tumor Society. They do great work and I know they appreciate your efforts.

Now then...big congrats to all of you who did the hike! Nice Job! Once again this year I had a great time supporting you all. It was nice putting some new faces with some of the new names on the site. I hope to see you all on the trail again soon.

I posted a summary and some pictures from the hike and the Ride for Research. Click here to check it out.

This is my favorite shot from the hike:

IMG_0976-sm.jpg

I have some other shots of the hikers and have all these pictures at 8MP. Hikers - let me know if you want any of them.

Thanks again for everyone who helped make these events successful!

- darren