Escape the Escarpment '05 report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enroute to my home in the 'Dax, to prepare for a perfect spring day of hiking -- snow, sleet, mud and black flies -- , I considered passing the trailhead to see whether anyone was still there. At 6:50 PM, while soaring down Kaaterskill Klove, I looked up toward Layman's Monument and proclaimed that if they started at 5 AM, most would be tucked in.

Jay, glad to hear that it went well and that you had enthusiastic volunteers and trail hikers.

Moose

Jay H said:
Hahahaha... I'm toying with the idea (some of you already know this) with doing the Great Range in the ADKs next year, but it would probably be either in late June/July or perhaps in the fall. I'm leaning towards June/July, perhaps near the solstice rather than the Fall due to the distance and daylight.

Here is a trip report for a Great Range day hike...

http://alavigne.homeip.net/newHomePage/Outdoors/ImageGallery/2004/Solstice2004/index.jsp

Looks like an awesome hike, but grueling.

Thanks Rivet, I remember reading a kind of funny trip report from a small group of friends who were trying to do the Great Range in winter as a dayhike or so.. Took them 3 tries or something like that, thought the person's writing on the failed attempts kind of funny.

Ellie, by 6:50pm, I know the only two hikers in the woods was Brian and Seema. I think Fred and Aaron were already out by that time.

Another problem with the Great Range hike is the lack of a good bailout, as you kind of go further away from any road if you say start at the Garden. But we can ponder this over the "off-season".

Donations stand right now around $2350. Reminder to those that have hiked and/or collected to let me know how much you have sent to TBTS so I can tally that up. Put a note in the env to say this is for the Escape the Escarpment hike.

I just sent TBTS the group shot so they can put it in their newsletter 'Heads up'

Jay

Jay H said:
Ellie, by 6:50pm, I know the only two hikers in the woods was Brian and Seema. I think Fred and Aaron were already out by that time.
Actually funkyfreddie (Fred) and askus3 (Aaron) checked out at 7:20 PM at the parking lot where Darren and I were waiting for them. It seems that Fred took nearly 200 pictures and Aaron took Fred for a side trip to the top of Kaaterskill Falls, which explains their tardy arrival.

Last edited:
Nice pictures fred, I like the comments... The God speaks to Freddy is a classic. And I did think that Al was reading the paper until I opened the image to get a full view.

How come I was the only person out standing on that lip at Newman's Ledge? Anybody see where my new Avatar is from.

It kind of reminded me of the avatar that everybody has from Bondcliff in the whites, except I think the ledge on Bondcliff simply juts out and isn't an overhang like the one on Newman's Ledge.

Jay

Well, thanks to everybody for updating their status. I'm happy to announce that my goal of doing better than last year was realized. We have raised a total of....

$2755 for TBTS through online, cash, and checks as of 5/28/05.

I look to send the checks out hopefully by tuesday after my last straggler pays me! I have converted all the cash I got ($255) and donated that online.

Jay

I have received a few late checks for the Ride for Research that add up to $45. That puts us at $9800 for the ride and the hike combined. Another $200 and we will have hit the $10,000 mark! Awesome!

Big thanks to everyone who has contributed!

- darren

darren said:
Another $200 and we will have hit the $10,000 mark! Awesome! - darren

I'm glad to see we did so well, makes me feel good to be part of it.

Last edited:
The latest Heads Up Newsletter is online

Apparently, the paper copy was sent out and I think my neighbor might have cached our mail cause I was away this weekend... But I found it online anyway:

TBTS Heads Up Newsletter (PDF File)

Scroll down to Page 10, after the Ride for Research photos (I didn't see Darren or the other VFTTr's.. :)

Odd thing that they list the Long Trail, not the Long Path but they didn't send me a proof so I couldn't correct them. And I don't know where they got their total from. It could very well be possible that they had to publish the newsletter before they got everybody's checks in the mail. I know they were hurrying up for photos from me soon after the event was over. And I didn't send my certified letter til a few weeks after and that contained at least $700 worth of checks and cash that I got at the event.

Good job folks, hang around til next year.. planning might start this winter so just relax... ah..yeah right... yeah.. ;)

Jay