Experimental forests?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbird22

Reaction score
I just noticed on a new water resistent hiking map of the wmnf there is some areas that have been marked off as experimental forests. EX: Hubbard Experimental forest in the south western part of wmnf and Bartlett experimental forest. Does anyone know what this means?

They're forest where they actually experiment with different types of forestry practices and observations of such things as the effect of acid rain on the health of the forest. A few years ago I had a tour of the Bartlett forest as part of a course I was taking. Very educational.

There's one at Frost Valley YMCA in the Catskills. It's right by their X-C Ski center at the base of Wildcat Mtn. I skiied through the outskirts of the forest this past winter. The Frost Valley folks call it a "Model Forest" but it's the same concept.

It's run by part of the NY DEC, SUNY-ESF (at Syracuse U) and the USGS with help from Frost Valley YMCA.

http://www.frostvalley.org/educational_programs/programs/model_forest.htm

Jay

David Metsky said:
Hubbard Brook
Bartlett

Some friends at Yale Forestry School spent a lot of time at Hubbard Brook, also many Dartmouth folks.

-dave-
Dave I was going to post those links for once I thought I would beat you to the punch :D . I have worked in the Bartlett forest while taking some plant biology courses there at UNH . Lots of fun !
They are great pleaces to visit and learn about the forest.

I can tell you a thing or two about the exp. forests, but I'm on my way out the door. Ask some specific questions if you wish and I'll try to answer them when I return. Exp. forests are wonderful places!

I have worked in Hubbard Brook quite a bit and in the last few years I've spent much time in the Penobscot Experimental Forest. In fact, I was out in the field there this morning. It's also directly across the river from my house.

spencer

oh yeah, and i worked at Harvard Forest for several months. It's not a US Forest Service Experimental Forest, but rather is a NSF Long Term Ecological Research (LTER) station. A wonderful place both from research and historical perspectives...

spencer