Face Masks - which one?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two kinds – a thin (?polypro) one and an OR heavy duty one. What works for me is to wear the thin one for any climbing. I get warm easy, and breathe hard but can breathe right though the thin one and the goggles don’t fog. I can add neck gaiter, hat, hood as needed, or remove as needed. I would then have a dry and warmer one for descending.

Keep in mind the MH Windstopper "balaclava" is not like other balas, but is very loose fitting, more like an "executioner's hood." Thus, it allows some layering and ventilation. It's unlike any other bala i've ever seen. A different way to go if, like me, you don't like the constricted feeling of traditional balas (my silk bala is tight, but so light and stretchy it doesn't bother me).

Something I remembered this evening on my comute home... It was cold (-20F and windy).... so cold that it hurt my face.

As long as there is pain, you know that you are not freezing. It is when the pain stops that you should wonder why. Is it because you have gotten warm, or is it because tissue is frozen, and can't feel the pain.

Remember

Pain is good.

(I have some habanero sauce by that name)

I like that Masque one, neoprene and short. The mouth area gets a little mushy, but I've never bothered to cut it open. Because it doesn't go down very far on the neck, it gives me plenty of opportunity to vent heat from my neck and chest. It combines well with a neck gaiter, a hat of one's choosing, etc., and it attaches by velcro in the back so it's easily removed and put back on.

We need a smiley with a balaclava on!

Blue,
I have both of the ones that bobmak uses, and use them often. For some reason, I use the neoprene more than the other. I also have the OR WS Gorilla, which is nice, but tough to adjust. I find that of the 3, I get more fogging in the goggles than in the others, and have a bit more trouble breathing in it.

2 important considerations when using facemasks/balaclavas:
1) breathe through both the mouth and nose. Breathing through the mesh only will make you work harder to get your breath. Sounds simple, but when tired, I know I become a mouth breather.
2) Purse your lips when exhaling. By placing your lips as close to the facemask opening/mesh, you can disperse more warm/moist air. (and you'll be in position to kiss me when you see me :))

Get a good face mask/balaclava that fits right, and you will use it often. Of the new ones that I've seen. the OR Airfoil looks the most promising, IMO (but quite thin)

Last edited:
face mask

Gordini has some good options for facemasks and baclavas. The lavawool is somewhat good at wicking moisture away. They've also got built in breathing holes/vents.

You can find a lot of them at campmor

I've been happy with the Mask2 combined with different hats.

I am getting ready for a mountaineering course/ascent of Mt Washington on Monday and headgear has been a been a concern.

I ended up getting the OR Airfoil. I have a big head and it comes in XL which matched my hat size (7 5/8), but unless I have a hat underneath (MH Andinista- rather thin) the balaclava is too big. The fit is comfortable otherwise except for one problem: the eye opening is too wide! With goggles on I still have a patch of skin exposed on either side (under the goggle strap area). To solve this I plan on using a windstopper ear band over the balaclava to reduce the eye opening before putting on the goggles....but that might prove cumbersome.

The Airfoil is rather thin/uninsulated, but depending on conditions, I may wear another fleece bala underneath too.... ah, so complicated- that would make for five pieces of headgear besides a helmet!

Hi! I haven't done any mountains in the Whites, mainly staying in the daks now (I did go in the Chic-Chocs, Gaspesie, Quebec, which can be freaking cold!), I use something like this though:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=CnYiNwugLezdxoVz80C8LuiVKzg7pKpBsHH8zs3qGVQhv2BAD2lR!-1107283683!170918944!2003!7002?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=17501&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=680047&bmUID=1109874851279

With googles + my coat's gore-tex hood, it shields me fairly well from the wind.

Fish

Masks have never worked quite right for me; the holes are never in the right place. I prefer the hat-and-neck-gaitor combo. I bring three fleece gaitors, and if one gets mushy I spin it around 180 degrees( try that with a mask). Then I change it for a fresh one. On a really cold day I wear my snowboard helmet, goggles and neck gaitor, which also makes me feel safer.