family needs x country skis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
My friend Gary wants to get skis poles boots bindings for himself and his 2 teenage daughters(done growing) without taking out a mortgage. I suggested calling llbeans outlet stores, he has looked on craigslist and ebay. I think people here might know the best way to help them out, things I didn't think of. I told him they should at least get sized at at ems or someplace for the boots, I think there are a couple prominent boot makers(fischer, solomon?) and I don't know if they differ. I have heard of ski swaps but haven't been to one. I told him there are now 4 types of cross country skis, but what they want are touring skis or backcountry skis, not telemark or skate skiing yet. Any suggestions, ideas from the brains on this site would be most welcome.

One could loosely view touring skis as light (generally edgeless) backcountry skis and backcountry skis as heavy-duty (generally edged) touring skis.

Make sure the boots match the bindings--there are several incompatible systems.

You might try renting a time or two and maybe a lesson or two to get a better idea of what you want.

Dave.m has some good info (mostly aimed at heavier gear): http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/dirtbag.html

Doug

Most XC centers sell rental gear at the end of each season, since it is still early in the new season there may still be some in stock.
Such rental gear tends to be light-weight track gear. Places like REI sometimes sell off their rental BC gear. Not sure if they do it annually or just at an occasional garage sale.

Doug

Bill Koch ski league

My advice is to get involved with you local Bill Koch ski group. It's family oriented, and has plenty of growing youngsters, so there is usually second hand gear that gets passed around. Look under the NENSA.net website for additional information.

Sierra Trading Post sometimes has good deals. We got back country skiis there. They have last years models marked way down. I would probably not want to order boots on line unless you know exactly what size you are. If they like to ski where there are no groomed trails then back country is the way to go becasue the metal edges help you stay in control. And they also work well on groomed trails.

I have heard of ski swaps but haven't been to one.
If he still needs them next year, he should go to Concord Ski&Skate Sale the first Saturday in December. I have bought skis and boots for as little as $10 each, this year I picked up some old poles marked $.50 but the cashier said all prices were to be rounded down to the nearest dollar so I got them free. The stuff I buy is usually family discards, but they also have used/unsold stuff from ski shops at higher prices.

Yes, too late for this one this winter, but if he can find a later ski swap that's the sort of deal he might find.

One could loosely view touring skis as light (generally edgeless) backcountry skis and backcountry skis as heavy-duty (generally edged) touring skis.

Doug

For quite some time now the former have been call "Light Touring Skis" or LT skis.

Bob I was in Ragged Mountain Equipment in Intervale yesterday and they are offering some nice packaging in the realm that your friends are looking for. They also rent what they sell and you might be able to get rental fees applied towards an eventual purchase. By the way they hold a "Chocolate Festival " in February which is an Inn to Inn ski tour with Chocalate treats at each Inn. A great way to motivate the Kids and Adults alike for some XC skiing.

Last edited: