Doug Paul injured in a back-country ski accident

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A (short) hike!

An actual trip report!

DebW needed to pick up some new boots in Intervale and invited me along for the ride. After she picked up her boots, we headed over to the Moat Mtn trail. We walked to Diana's Baths and then followed the trail as far as the first serious stream crossing.

The trail is graded for handicapped use as far as the Baths and was easy to walk. Had some minor difficulty with the herdpath along the Baths (maneuvering and a few high steps). The section of trail beyond was generally fairly easy by NE standards, although I had to be a bit careful descending of the steeper portions. I used my cane the entire way (still need it for walking any distance).

Intermittent light rain, some bugs, and no crowds. All in all, a pleasant walk in the woods to a nice cascade. 2.4mi rt and 200 vert ft.

Doug

That's good to hear, Doug. You're getting there! Your recovery seems to be progressing well, ...... best of luck, and I hope that the rest of your healing is a "walk in the woods" ........ and may the endorphins flow freely. :D

Rob

Just another update:

* Was able to go to Bearly Live (Jul 27), but not able to do much other than hang around and a bit of kayaking.
* Since the walk to Diana's Baths, the swelling in the knee region diminished. Unfortunately, this exposed the knee tendons to rubbing on the 2 bolts and 3 screws just above the knee. The bolts and 2 of the screws were removed in late August. Operation #5.
* I started PT again in mid-September to continue to work on flexibility and strength for both the knee and hip.
* Went to the Fall Gathering (Sept 22). Again, not able to do much--just drove to some roadside (natural) attractions including some short walks and hung around.
* Was able to take a short hike (walk) on the MA AT--3.3mi and 500 vert ft in mid-October.

At this point, I am able to take easy bike rides (road bike on a rails-to-trails bikepath) or walk up to about 3 miles on the bikepath or a sidewalk at a halfway reasonable pace. The knee and hip flexibility is pretty good, but the muscles are still a bit weak and I still have problems with pain at times when walking.

The wrist is pretty good--I only notice it during heavy lifting.

It looks like I might be able to do some easy skiing (lift-served Tele or XC) and some easy hiking this winter. So while I have improved a considerable amount, there is still a good way to go and I'm sure there will be some more rocks in the path to stumble over. There will be at least one more operation (to remove the screws in my hip), but it can be delayed until spring mud and slush season.

Just got some releasable bindings for my Tele skis--maybe I should go mount them...

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
...Was able to go to Bearly Live (Jul 27), but not able to do much other than hang around and a bit of kayaking...

Not to mention dancing til the wee hours on one leg :eek:

Keep at it Doug. Just think of XC skiing as low impact PT :cool:

Glad to hear you're thinking of getting out on the boards!

(The one problem with skijoring is that it sometimes turns into anaerobic exercise. This is coincident with the realization that (1) you've just lost control of the situation and (2) your heart has stopped . . . :eek: OTOH, it's pretty cool to watch them working together. )

Nope, don't chance it amigo

stay OFF the skiis and stick to walking, non-icey hiking, exercise machines and other activities where there is a VEERY low risk of a fall. then do a LOT of hiking next summer and get strong again. take my advice, rehab setbacks are the worst, the pits, to be avoided at ALL costs...

Gris said:
stay OFF the skiis and stick to walking, non-icey hiking, exercise machines and other activities where there is a VEERY low risk of a fall. then do a LOT of hiking next summer and get strong again. take my advice,
At this point the bones are healed. Its just recovering from the treatment that is the problem...

XC skiing on low angle terrain should be pretty safe and good rehab.

rehab setbacks are the worst, the pits, to be avoided at ALL costs...
I've already had my share--replacement of the femoral nail (pin) at week 3 was the biggie. Also several bouts of overtraining from exercising too hard or too much. Very frustrating.

Doug

Good luck, best wishes, and listen to Gris (if for no other reason than that he's got Jerry on his avatar)! Just get out there and focus on what Brad Washburn and the other Brahmins would call "Preservation of Capital"!

I took a pair of XC skis out for a spin on a nearby (very flat) rails-to-trails bikepath on Fri (Dec 14). The skiing went well--I still remembered how and no falls. Conditions were pretty good--10 inches of new initially dry snow that was getting a bit damp due to the sun and high 30's temp. Quit after 2 miles because the leg was getting a bit tired and I still had several hours of shoveling ahead of me...

Even got in some snow climbing--there was a 6-8 foot high snow pile blocking the access path. Had to climb over it--should have brought an ice axe...

Doug

Don't try going out today - the icy crust currently on that snow would turn any skiing attempt into a comical and painful disaster.

Glad you had the better conditions opportunity, and glad you got out successfully!

DougPaul said:
I took a pair of XC skis out for a spin on a nearby (very flat) rails-to-trails bikepath on Fri (Dec 14). The skiing went well--I still remembered how and no falls. Conditions were pretty good--10 inches of new initially dry snow that was getting a bit damp due to the sun and high 30's temp. Quit after 2 miles because the leg was getting a bit tired and I still had several hours of shoveling ahead of me...

Even got in some snow climbing--there was a 6-8 foot high snow pile blocking the access path. Had to climb over it--should have brought an ice axe...

Doug
real glad to read that you got out!

MichaelJ said:
Don't try going out today - the icy crust currently on that snow would turn any skiing attempt into a comical and painful disaster.
Yeah I know... I was hoping to get in a bit of skiing yesterday (wet but skiable snow here), but there was too much shoveling to do. :( But at least I got to use my pulk (to carry the snow back into the yard for dumping). :)

Glad you had the better conditions opportunity, and glad you got out successfully!
It was a start--still have a ways to go.

Doug

Doug,

Great to hear you got out! Two miles is fantastic!

Sherpa, I hear you about the wet. Did a shlog on my newly mounted Karhu XCT GTs on the Belmont gulf course (shhhh!! they don't like it when you do that!) in the rain on Sunday. Just had ta go out...snow fever.

Seeker said:
Sherpa, I hear you about the wet. Did a shlog on my newly mounted Karhu XCT GTs on the Belmont gulf course (shhhh!! they don't like it when you do that!) in the rain on Sunday. Just had ta go out...snow fever.
I wanted to do the same (on the bike path), but I had too much shoveling to do (~5hrs worth). Waxless skis are ok on wet snow, and if I could shovel in the rain, I certainly could have skied in the rain. Might have been worth wearing my T3s (plastic) rather than my leather boots...

BTW, wool fishnet is a lot better than polyester long underwear under wet wool pants. (It seemed like a good time to try both...)

Doug

Glad you're back on your skiis. Do you think you'll be skiing in Waterville soon. I skiied on Livermore on sunday-lower part not groomed. Think of you when skiing that trail. I think five hours of shovelling is good aerobic preparation for the skiing. We're cheering for your return up here!!