Fastest way to the Caps Ridge Trailhead from the South

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have never done the Caps Ridge Trail, but was thinking of doing it before the Jefferson Notch Road closes or becomes treacherous. Was wondering if you could recommend the fastest way to the trailhead from the south (i.e, Massachusetts).

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
Marty

I use the same route as Tim's, Marty. I'd call the NH DOT garage in Littleton, however, and make sure the road is open. They have jurisdiction over the Mt Clinton Rd, and I think that section up/over Jefferson Notch is their's also.

Thank you Tim and Kevin!

Just curious: would that be the route of choice if I decided to come up 302 from Bartlett? Am wondering if the Base Road would still be fastest, as opposed to taking the Mt. Clinton Road from Crawford Notch.

Have a fabulous Thanksgiving.

Marty

I personally make better time via Mt Clinton Road but I am good at dodging potholes. I would expect some patches of ice on Jefferson Notch road already so be real careful, after the predicted weather on Saturday I would expect it will be slick. The north approach from Jefferson usually gets icy quicker.

Last edited:
Marty,

I live in Newmarket, NH and I still used the route Tim mentioned, even though if you look at the map, it seems like it would make more sense for me to use route 16 and 302. I went this way on a recent trip up Caps Ridge and it took me about 2 hours. Since I moved to Newmarket, I've found that even though going the 93 route to the Whites means more miles than going route 16, it's faster because you avoid all of the traffic lights and have the advantage of highway speed vs. the slower speed you can do on route 16.

Coming up 302 I would say that it's probably faster, and definitely easier on your car, to overshoot to Base Road back to Jefferson Notch Road. Mt Clinton Road is a nasty mess of potholes and frost heaves in the pavement. You can go far faster on 302 and Base Road it seems worth it to me. Perhaps the time ends up the same, but your car will be happier. :)

Coming up 302 I would say that it's probably faster, and definitely easier on your car, to overshoot to Base Road back to Jefferson Notch Road. Mt Clinton Road is a nasty mess of potholes and frost heaves in the pavement. You can go far faster on 302 and Base Road it seems worth it to me. Perhaps the time ends up the same, but your car will be happier. :)

Thanks for the additional comments, guys. Much appreciated. If I go, it will be Friday, hopefully before the snow flies!

Regards,
Marty

If you take the Mt Clinton road dont plan on sipping your coffee, Ive been on it alot this year, bumpyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Of course I might be late in posting butl I agree with Peakbagger, I find the Mt. Clinton Rd much faster than going all the way to Fabayans and hitting the Base Rd...someday I will do the test mileage and timewise...we are used to bumps and potholes up here!! Maybe some influential hiker types in gov't could get some highway funds up this way!!!!!

Last edited:
Well today I was able to complete the test and though I seem to make better time speeding and avoiding bumps on the Mt. Clinton Rd., if one was to be cautious on that road, and go the speed limit on Rt. 302 and Base Road, it appears to be only like a minute or two faster on Mt. Clinton Rd..and only less than 5 miles added if you did it via 302 and Base Rd...though I have seen more wildlife etc on Mt. Clinton Rd (moose deer ruffed grouse etc) than Base Rd...on a side note, when wanting to get to Rt. 302 to approach trailheads on 302 (east and north of Bear Notch Rd) and 16 from south, it is about 13-14 miles shorter via Bear Notch Rd but I have not been able to do a time test (yet)..these may be mute soon due to the roads closing but so far it looks good for even next week..Jefferson Notch Rd open both ends use caution on a few icy spots..guess the northern boys are used to making good time on the rough roads up here!! GM Tire likes me too I pay them well for alignments!!!