Favorite Camp Food

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take a package of Ichiban noodles, some baby carrots, and a small tin of chicken. Get the water simmering, toss in the carrots and noodles, let 'em go for a bit, add the seasoning packet and the chicken, and enjoy one surprisingly good (and filling) pot of soup. Superb in a lean-to on a cold, rainy evening!

Sarah and I have a fav meal that we actually pass up being treated to a restaraunt for:

Aluminum Foil Dinners (learned in Boy Scouts)

Take a sheet of aluminum foil and lay it out on the table.

Wash some potatoes then dice them up.
Do the same with some carrots.

Now.. throw a slab of butter in the center of the aluminum foil.

Take some hamburger and make a patty, then put it in the center on top fo the butter.

Mound some of those potatoes and carrots around it. Then wrap it all up in the aluminum followed by a second wrap of foil. Then throw it in the fire.

Cook until you think it might be done. Then take the bugger out and manja!

I'm with trailhead,
When car-camping I'll bring just about anything but, still I don't spend hours trying to cook a gourmet meal. I save that for home.
Backpacking, I like the mountain house meals also.
When I've been hiking all-day the last thing I feel like doing is cooking.
So the easiest thing for me, is to boil some water, huck it in the bag and wait. I usually let it sit twice as long as they say to.
Most of their meals have a pleated bottom so it stands up-right while it hydrates.
Then the best part, as it say's in the directions,
( for your convenience, eat right out of the pouch! )
Nice... no dishes to do!
Simply fold up the bag,seal it and walk away. Done.

The down side is the price.
Most meals that serve two, cost about 5-7 bucks.
I only weigh about 150, but I will easily eat for four after a long day of hiking.
However, I would much rather pay the price than go through the hassle.

Steve

I guess this is worth sharing as I learned it a few years ago on this board. I've stuck with it and always loved it. Note: I don't have a great need for hot food on the trail. Before I leave I make quesadillas. Warm/brown a flour tortila filled with cheese and add something to flavor it, my favorite is peppers and onions. Your list might include:

Sliced mushrooms
Green onions
Black olives, sliced
Fresh tomatoes, diced
Avocado
Lettuce
Chicken pieces
Tuna
Sardines

I cut them in 6-pieces and place them in zip-lock bags. They are really flavorful at the end of a day. I can't make it through two quesadillas (that would be four tortillas w/cheese and veggie)! Now, for added enjoyment take along a packet of salsa. If you're with me I usually share them because they fill me up and taste so good.

Also, Peanut Butter & Jelly is a favorite off the trail so on the trail it works fine. Using Pita bread is the trick that helps with packing, even though my wife doesn't understand that I don't mind a PB&J sandwich that has soaked into the bread.

If I'm in for a day or two - I'm set. Admittedly, this is not a go-lite hikers dream.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity...
How do those of you who are bringing things like premade chicken quesadillas, etc keep them from spoiling while out on a hike? Do you actually hike with a cooler bag?
My wife is a chef and I'm very concious of the amount of time that food is left out and gets too warm. The "window" is about 4 hours, after that the chances of it making you sick are pretty good.
Even with a lot of cheeses this is something you have to be very careful of.