Favorite Off-the-Marked Trail Routes to Maximize the Fun of Beloved Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver8

Reaction score
West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury,
Not sure if this has been done here before, but I thought it would be helpful to have a thread where people give notes about way to get even better views and more enjoyment out of often well-known hikes. I've got a couple of favorites I can chip in with near my home. Will start with Race Brook Falls Trail in Sheffield/Mt. Washington, Mass.

By this route, you will take in all 6 of the main falls on Race Brook, whereas if you take the main trail from Rt. 41 in the valley to the Appalachian Trail in between Mt. Race and Everett, you will only pass under one of the 6. A beautiful waterfall, but with a little extra effort on marked side trails, some of which are maintained and some not, you can see all 6, including the tallest of the 6.

From Rt. 41, hike about 0.2 to a signed fork in the trail. Left takes you along the main trail, beautiful in its own right, which passes only under the upper main falls, missing the other 5. Stay straight, toward the lower falls. About half a mile later, after a moderate climb, you reach the base of the tallest falls, which happen to be the bottom-most on the brook. Scramble around under them as you like. They're gorgeous. When done, cross the brook near the very large downed tree (can't miss it), then either scramble up the bank and rejoin the well-discernible trail, or bear left on the trail's course, over two sizeable downed trees, and swing back up and right, going a bit over 0.1 to reach the top of the big falls you were just below. There's a nice overlook from the ledge atop the falls - take care not to follow the waters 100 feet down.

From above the big falls, follow the occasional red markings up the steep and scrambly left (south) bank of the brook. You'll pass three (or depending on how you count, four) falls of varying types and heights, from about 15' to more like 65'. Enjoy the cool, moist hemlock grove alongside the brook, and in winter conditions take care to work around the big ice flow blocking the main route, a last scramble just left of the uppermost of these middle falls.

Soon you rejoin the main trail, just below the big upper falls, which are about 85' high, at about 1450' elevation. (Base of the lower big falls is about 1100').

From here, follow the main trail north across the brook, then at first moderately, then steeply, follow the big switchback which climbs the main ledge of the mountain. About 0.3 miles later, as you near the brook again, take a left near a massive boulder, work across the brook (easy to do), then skirt down the far, south embankment to view the uppermost 14' falls, very pretty, from below. Lovely spot. You can also scramble about the north bank, nearby, in high water conditions, to see a slide-ish second branch of the falls.

From here, proceed to the A.T., past the campground - you've taken in all 6 of the Race Brook Falls and now can decide which you like best - not an easy choice!

Last edited:
Good luck getting people to respond online to their favorite secret spots! :)

My philosophy is: I won't tell you, but I'll show you. I.E. If we're hiking (or skiing) together, then I'll take you there, but otherwise I'd rather keep my favorites from getting overrun.

I think I've pretty much followed your path at race brook falls, somebody died there this past summer, I presume from falling off the top of the falls, close to the AT but I never got the full details....

Jay

I think I've pretty much followed your path at race brook falls, somebody died there this past summer, I presume from falling off the top of the falls, close to the AT but I never got the full details....

Jay

It's a beautiful hike, Jake. From what I gathered on Whiteblaze, the hiker died on the upper main falls, the 85-footer, which the main trail crosses just below. I didn't get all the details, but it sounded like he was attempting to scramble up left of the falls and fell off that ledge. Sad story.

Good luck getting people to respond online to their favorite secret spots! :)

My philosophy is: I won't tell you, but I'll show you. I.E. If we're hiking (or skiing) together, then I'll take you there, but otherwise I'd rather keep my favorites from getting overrun.

Fair point, blacknblue. It's more fun to show someone in person, to be sure.