Favorites and interesting gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
Most of you might of have some "neat" gear or stuff that makes your hike better for you. I have a beer cap opener with a wine cork opener, built in and folds up. I have to say that I think a inflatable pillow better than a stuff sack full 'o clothes, some might differ. I like a fanny pack with a bag of gorp, compass, knife etc. in there so I don''t need to take my pack off. What gadget/gear make your hike better?

Last edited:
This is not an unusual piece of gear but maybe how I use it is. I too hate to have to remove my pack to get at a snack or compass. I have an add on side pouch for a backpack that I carabiner to the d-rings on my shoulder straps. So it sits right there across the front of my chest, easy access for a snack, compass, map, camera. Never seems to be in my way at all. When you go to take your pack off you just have to remember to unhook one of the carabiners when you unhook the sternum strap or get strangled.

Good idea

I like that idea Ad... I just purchased the add-on side pockets and found I really didn't like them on the pack because they didn't fit correctly. I'm sure your way will work a lot better and add front storage access for map, snack, ect.

- I found that glow sticks scare away mice from food or trash bag in cabins.
- On really cold nights I empty out my pack on pull it over my feet.
- Inside MRE's there is a heat element that works by just adding water. They get very hot and are very lightwieght. They come in handy in emergancy situations or just when you are really cold you can put it in your sleeping bag with 2 wool socks over it to protect your skin from burn.
- Piece of panty hose to filter out floaters after melting snow.
- Flexable plastic nalgene bottle to pee in at night.
- Extra peice of closed cell foam cut in the shape of my bumb to sit on around camp.
- I also rapp duct tape around my water bottle. It not only provides duct tape for anything that might come up during the trip, but it adds grib to the slippery nalgene bottle.

I don't know I don't really think most of my little ideas are new I read some from here and made up some on my own, but maybe someone will read this post and say "huh good idea". Please people no matter how small of an idea you have post it and hope that it will give someone else a litte trick in the backcountry that will make their trip that much more enjoyable.

Probably the "neatest" item I bring along is an extra shoelace that I tie to a Nalgene bottle so I can hang the bottle from my neck when filtering water.

I do not own it but I saw a review of a mini LED Chandelier looks cool and better than a candle or lamp. It has both red and white LEDS that you can point in whatever direction you please. Sounds good for a winter trip. Or a rainy night stuck in a tent

Ditto duct tape around the fuel bottle, I needed and used it recently.
Ferrules that fit your tent poles. Super simple fix if you need them.
MRE's. The non-heating type. You get everything you need in one sealed pouch for about a day and you
don't need water or a stove to eat.
Down booties and a slightly under inflated air pillow left in my sleeping bag. :)
Warm feet and happy head make for good sleep.
Two wide long pads. More sleep comfort, only a little extra weight.
I have a Brunton Glorb which is a backpacking latern.
It is charged with butane, has a plastic case, electronic start, 40w light and the whole deal weighs about 12oz.
This is a great treat when its dark and lonely.

BrentD22 said:
I like that idea Ad... I just purchased the add-on side pockets and found I really didn't like them on the pack because they didn't fit correctly. I'm sure your way will work a lot better and add front storage access for map, snack, ect.

- I found that glow sticks scare away mice from food or trash bag in cabins.
- On really cold nights I empty out my pack on pull it over my feet.
- Inside MRE's there is a heat element that works by just adding water. They get very hot and are very lightwieght. They come in handy in emergancy situations or just when you are really cold you can put it in your sleeping bag with 2 wool socks over it to protect your skin from burn.
- Flexable plastic nalgene bottle to pee in at night.
- Extra peice of closed cell foam cut in the shape of my bumb to sit on around camp.
- I also rapp duct tape around my water bottle. It not only provides duct tape for anything that might come up during the trip, but it adds grib to the slippery nalgene bottle.

I don't know I don't really think most of my little ideas are new I read some from here and made up some on my own, but maybe someone will read this post and say "huh good idea". Please people no matter how small of an idea you have post it and hope that it will give someone else a litte trick in the backcountry that will make their trip that much more enjoyable.

The flexable plastic nalgene bottle is a must I use one too. It folds up nicely. Just don't confuse it with your water container and wash it out with bleach/water when you get home pronto!

Another piece of gear that is a must have for me is a thin sheet of plastic large enough to make a canopy over my tent. Use small rocks in the corners and cord to tie it off around nearby trees.

Parachute cord is handy too.

Cool items

Seperate the MRE's from the pouch and take only what you want, cuts down on alot of the bulk. You can fit 3 or 4 where you normally get a single one.

For day hikes nothing beats tupperware sandwich holder and small bowls with lid. Nearly indestructable, no leaks and can keep a sandwich visably appealing. Cram it in your pack and forget about it till you want it.

Thermorest chair kit

Zippo and dryer lint-start a fire anywhere

For your emergency kits, pen flares work well. They are small and light. They can also make your whereabouts known very easily.

For the pranksters:
The MRE heaters you can break it up, put the broken contents into a water bottle (disposable type) add some water and put the cap back on and quickly get space between it and anybody(or place safe distance from unspecting sole). This will create a nice loud bang.

Petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls for fire starter work great in damp and cold, 96 oz folding platypus - nice for grabbing water at night for the am and acts as a great sleeping bag warmer when filled with hot water after dinner, instant rice and four tortillas - you can mix and match them with anything for a tasty meal, 2X2 closed cell pad for sitting on, fleece pillow sack - holds all clothes by day and acts as soft and comfy pillow at nite, small nalgene bottle of bleach - dilute and use to clean everything from clothes to cuts.

BrentD22 said:

Floaters? My son tells me the best solution to that is a narrow mouth dark bottle. That way, you don't see what you're drinking.

wrt The duct tape. Just make sure that you don't put hot water in the bottle. (EG after boiling it) It makes teh glue UNBELEIVABLY sticky/gooy, and leaves you with useless duct-stuff that is no longer tape.

My quirky thing? I keep my compass tied to my strap. I find that I USE it when I don't have to dig into a pack to get it.

The other nice thing is my beer glasses. Beer tastes SO much better in a nice glass.

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/leanto_food2.jpg

Pete,

Concur on all points (except maybe the floaties). I keep little compasses on all the zipper pulls of shells and fleece and use them a lot -- still get lost, somehow.

My favorite piece of gear might be my mini pepper grinder. Or the small Phillips planisphere that I keep in the back of my EMS LT2800 rucksack -- which (along with my Svea 123 stove) really might be my favorite piece of gear. It's hard to say.

Last edited:
I have found that a stool (one like this) is quite handy at the backcountry campsite, provided it's not pouring... And you don't have a nice little tarp over your tent...

Oh, and you can wrap it with duct tape and it doesn't melt!!!

1) The loop in the sternum strap so I can clip my gloves together through the loop for easy access when I want them. Clipping them through the loop instead of just clipping them over the strap means that if I take off the pack, they don't slide off over the unhooked sternum strap.

2) Surgical towels from a doctor friend - great for wrapping water bottles in the winter to keep them from freezing and also for drying the threads around the mouth after use so the lid doesn't freeze on. In summer the towels are good for drying off your feet after a dip in the stream, and they're small and light so there's no added weight to carry a few.

Slide the little rubber thing from a climbing quick draw onto the end of your butane lighter to connect it to a cord and store in inside your shirt to keep it warm and ready in winter. You could use tape but this is reusable and cleaner.

Jasonst said:
I have found that a stool (one like this) is quite handy at the backcountry campsite, provided it's not pouring... And you don't have a nice little tarp over your tent...

Oh, and you can wrap it with duct tape and it doesn't melt!!!

Jason,
What kind of tarp do you use? Any suggestions? :D :D I hate sitting in the rain too. :eek:

Strap Its are my favorite. They are a pair of nylon straps with velcro ends. They are much lighter and more dependable than bungie cords. They are perfect for lashing things to the outside of your pack, like moose antlers.

Meals Ready to Eat.

Used to trade my hot sauce for more coffee in the Army. The southern "boys" can't get eneough of the sauce. ;)

Some of the meals they have are pretty good. Others are...well...

Peace.