Favorites and interesting gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marty said:
Strap Its are my favorite. They are a pair of nylon straps with velcro ends. They are much lighter and more dependable than bungie cords. They are perfect for lashing things to the outside of your pack, like moose antlers.

I was reading a previous thread and many said that It's not right to take antlers.

Jaytrek57 said:
Meals Ready to Eat.

Used to trade my hot sauce for more coffee in the Army. The southern "boys" can't get eneough of the sauce. ;)

Some of the meals they have are pretty good. Others are...well...

Peace.

They compare favorably to Mountain House, and others freeze dried offerings, I would say. I love them, heat and eat, or just eat. Boil water if you have it. Not a problem if there is no water and no stove. Extra coffee, sugar, salt, pepper, matches ! Great !

I got a "bakers dozen" case off ebay recently for about $40 shipped. So that's about $3.70 for almost a days food, the only thing I add is some gorp for the trail and oatmeal and teabags at breakfast. The MRE's I got do not have the heating chemical pack. They have a granola bar type snack, jelly and vegatable biscuit and the main meal, as well as instant coffee, S&P, sugar, matches. Hermetically sealed in pouch, which I leave in tact. Weight and bulk can be reduced somewhat by pulling them apart and taking just the food.

Any idea what these MRE's cost?

I got them for free.

Of course I gave six years to Uncle Sam. ;)

Chip was on the mark. Complete MREs are bulky and IMHO are not very efficient for anything over a dayhike. The meals can be carried alone which again saves a lot of weight/spac.

A lot of the main courses I found tended to taste the same, of course this was a while ago and from what I understand the military has upgraded the MREs (choices) quite a bit. Have plenty of liquid to drink b/c again, IMO they are a little bland.

Peace.

Last edited:
MREs, (described by many in the service as 'Meals Rejected by Ethiopians'), are great for long term storage, but even the military would consider anything more than a week or two on them as nutritionally problematic.

Some of the items make great pack food, but I would also suggest opening a few up and packing a la carte. In most cases, this means grabbing the pound cake, m&ms and those cute little bottles of Tabasco sauce first. 8)

One lesser seen, but perhaps better backpacking choice would be to get your hands on the white-bagged winter rations. IIRC these pack a massive calorie load for the weight. Less cooking, with 800-1200 calorie energy logs.

-----------------
On the topic of favorite personal gear concept, I have my ziplocked 'paper bag' - for a few must-keep-dry items
-TP
-Cut some sheets of paper in half, roll around cut pencil for notes, drawing, or kindling
-Small plastic pencil sharpener - for pencil, or even for shaving small sticks to tinder.
-Matches
-$20
-xeroxed copy - map area on front, copy of ID and car registration on back with contact numbers.
-small whistle
-backup meds.

If I ever have to bail and leave my pack, this watertight pouch goes with me.

I always carry a sportsmans tarp, reflective on one side, colored on the other. Makes a shelter, ground cloth, emergency bivy, signal .Also some nylon cord, some 6"cable ties for repairing snowshoes ,packs, tent guys, use your imagination, I even splinted a hiking pole once. Recently I added a small utility tool, similar to a leatherman ,but a third the size and weight. Never figured how to carry duct tape before, I'll be wraping a couple of bottles latter.

I broke a pencil in half and wrapped my duct tape around that.Keeps it very small and easy to work with.

mudhook51 said:
Never figured how to carry duct tape before, I'll be wraping a couple of bottles latter.

I just fold the duct tape back on itself for 3 or 4in and continue wrapping as much tape as I want. (A little like a flattened roll of TP without the cardboard.) Gives me a nice flat package that I carry with my emergency supplies.

Some people wrap some tape around their ski/trekking poles.

As Pete Hickey noted earlier, don't put hot water in a duct tape wrapped water bottle. The glue turns into a gooey mess. (The glue can turn into a gooey mess simply with time or the sun's heat, one of the reasons I only wrap it on itself.)

Doug

Thanks to all, a lot of good ideas found on this thread. I usually find mechanic's gloves to be quite useful, especially when backpacking and dexterity is needed while setting up camp in the cold. They are light and easy to pack, very durable, and wash and dry well. At this time of year when it is not cold enough for other gloves, but just chilly enough to make your hands cold, they are a perfect solution. Only about ten dollars a pair.

Speaking of gloves

Cycling gloves are great when summertime bushwhacking through thick spruce. Cool enough to wear in summer, but the thick padding on the palms prevents those little stubs from going into your hand.

Those who have done this kind of bushwhacking will understand.

in a similar vein, i always carry a pair of cheap wool finger-less gloves, the ones w rubber drip dots on palms. started wearing them in cool weather for dexterity, then ended up using them all the time. they breathe well enough not to be hot ever. are handy for whacking, scrambling, camp chores, etc. key in summer is to roll up cuffs to butt of palm. :D