Field,Wiley, Tom, and Hale

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete_Hickey

Reaction score
Hull, Quebec. Avatar: Wanna come out and play?
Although I'm sort of working on the NH48, I hadn't made it over to NH since last winter. Unfortunately, I've been wasting too much time climbing peaks for fun, so I finally decided to put aside the fun and get to work.

Cantdog suggested an itinerary for me, and graciously offered to be my guide. The plan was, to do a two car traverse of the Willey range on Saturday, then Hale as a 'going home' peak on Sunday.

We met at the very civilized hour of 8:00AM, booted up, left my car at Crawford Notch, and we headed to the other trailhead. We passed it, then went back and forth looking for it, until we came to the realization that the trailhead arking was buried under unplowed snow, so we went back to Crawford Notch where we would begin and end our hike.

We started off without snowshoes, but before long we decided that it would be easier with them. Not because of the depth of the snow, but for traction. Without them, we were sliding back an inch or so with each step.

Brook crossings were relatively easy, and before long, we were at the junction of the Avalon trail, which we took. Arriving at the spur trail up Avalon, I told Cantdog, "Not on my list, I'm not going to run up it." A decision I later regretted.

I guess it was a combination of wearing heavy boots for the first time, first time on snowshoes (first time this season), being unused to the more awkward gait when walking with snowshoes... Ahhhh OK. I can't make excuses. I was out of shape, and had a hard time keeping up with Cantdog.

Before long we were on the summit of Field. We stopped for a snack, when suddenly these two huge birds swooped down on me, stealing food right from my hands. I was terrified, but Cantdog was fearless, claiming they were harmless. Look at this:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/nh1.jpg

The trail to Willey was unbroken, and we headed off in that direction. I found it somewhat long--or at least longer than I expected, with too many ups and downs. By the time we arrived at it's summit, it had clouded over, and was snowing. We stayed a bit for a snack, but then started heading back to Field, where the killer birds were no longer seen. Cantdog suggested it was due to the snow, but I suspect they were hidden away, feeding on a freshly killed hiker.

The trip to Tom went rather quickly. Cantdog pointed out the beautiful view of the Pemi Wilderness that we didn't see, and before long, we were heading down toward the car. Along the way, the binding left my very old Sherpas, although it did remain on my feet.

We headed to 'The Bunkhouse' at Lyons Hospitality suite, were we saw the 'MicheaalJ-mobile', but MichealJ was nowhere to be found. After supper, I went out to write

echo ISGG | tr A-MN-Z N-ZA-M

in the snow on the windshield of the MichaelJ-mobile, I was too late, as MichealJ and Christine were there.

The next morning was sunny and warm: a beautiful day for hiking. Cantdog and I bid farewell to MichealJ and Christine, and headed to climb Hale. A easy peak, but it was tough for an easy peak. We were along climbing that peak. One thing that I found surprising was that on such a nice morning, there was nobody else climbing that peak.

I barebooted the hike, and Cantdog wore snowshoes. She clearly had the advantage in some areas, but not everywhere. She also did not have an advantage the numerous times her snowshoes came undone.

On the final bit out, we leapfrogged Happyfeet and his son several times, as we stopped to re-attach snowshoes. Before long, we were back at the car, biding farewell after my delightful trip to the whites.

Great Report! The same thing happened to us when we climbed Willey,Field and Tom. We bypassed Avalon, when there would have been a view in the early morning, only to have the clouds come in by the time we reached Field, Willey and Tom. :eek: And yes, Hale can be a pretty hard easy mountain.

Pete_Hickey said:
Before long we were on the summit of Field. We stopped for a snack, when suddenly these two huge birds swooped down on me, stealing food right from my hands. I was terrified, but Cantdog was fearless, claiming they were harmless. Look at this: http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/nh1.jpg

The mighty Pete - terrified of Gray Jays? :D

Ah, you've met camp robbers!

Fantastic little guys, aren't they? They seem to be much more common in NH than in NY. I've only seen them at lower altitudes in the Adirondacks. Cantdog, are they as common in the summer in NH?

Oh heck, I love birds. Going to Canada this weekend for gulls (and others)! Many thousands of gulls!

BorealChickadee said:
Oh heck, I love birds. Going to Canada this weekend for gulls (and others)! Many thousands of gulls!
Last winter, I mentioned to Joan, one of our trailworkers, that there was a huge Great Gray Owl nearby. She drove up from Lake George just to look at a bird.

Talk about killer birds... That great gray owl could have made a nice dinner out of my cat.

Still, I'm convinced that my caution with those birds on Field paid off. After all, I did make it down alive.

Pete_Hickey said:
That great gray owl could have made a nice dinner out of my cat.

Still, I'm convinced that my caution with those birds on Field paid off. After all, I did make it down alive.

We went up to Amherst Island last February to see owls, boreal and long eared. We saw the Great Grays on the back roads around the Kingston area. They were amazing! Did you get to see it fly? Incredible 5 foot wingspan and yet they're so light and fluffy they weigh much less than a great horned or snowy.

You mean the mighty axe carrying Pete is afraid of a itty bitty bird? :eek:

Cantdog- Thanks for the info. I keep thinking that on our way back from Maine each year we should be stopping and doing a little exploring of New Hampshire's mountains.

what a wimp. first he doesn't even ride his bike to get there, then he complains about birdies.... jeez... ;)

We stopped for a snack, when suddenly these two huge birds swooped down on me, stealing food right from my hands. I was terrified, but Cantdog was fearless, claiming they were harmless.

It happened to me last month, my son & I were on top of Jackson and we were both shocked at how agressive those birds are. Didn't know what kind of birds they were, but I know now. :D

Brook crossings were relatively easy, and before long, we were at the junction of the Avalon trail, which we took. Arriving at the spur trail up Avalon, I told Cantdog, "Not on my list, I'm not going to run up it." A decision I later regretted.

Definitely do it the next time..it's the best peak in the Range IMO!

Before long we were on the summit of Field. We stopped for a snack, when suddenly these two huge birds swooped down on me, stealing food right from my hands. I was terrified, but Cantdog was fearless, claiming they were harmless.

Welcome back to the Whites...that's why their nicknamed the "CAMP ROBBERS"!!

I got to thinking about those birds some more Pete; I think you forgot the Donuts.

skiguy said:
I got to thinking about those birds some more Pete; I think you forgot the Donuts.
Maybe that would have helped, because those birds were going for my nuts!

I had this large chocolate bar, with lots of noisettes (hazel nuts?) in it. When I would break it, nuts would come out, and the birds would swoop down at them.

Pete_Hickey said:
Maybe that would have helped, because those birds were going for my nuts! :eek:

I had this large chocolate bar, with lots of noisettes (hazel nuts?) in it. When I would break it, nuts would come out, and the birds would swoop down at them.

Glad to see you clarified that first sentence Pete. ;)

Pete_Hickey said:

I was feeding them peanut m'n'm's once. The birds would take a candy, fly to a nearby perch, chip the chocolate off, eat the nut, then come back for another.

That's it, I can't stand it, I'll have to hike in NH. It's the darned birds fault. :mad:

NH gray jays are downright rude and obnoxious and I want to meet them. :p Adirondack gray jays are polite and you have to gently tease them in for a super quick," maybe I'll grab it if you don't move". But Adirondack jays are found at boreal bog habitats.So no climbing.

So, can someone give me a comparison of an ADK high peak to a NH peak?

Those Gray Jays are nuttin' (pun intended). I remember in Yosemite the Stellar's Jays would literally unzip the side pockets on our packs and pull out the contents. I won't talk about the Yosemite bears cuz that would be thread drift. :)

Dugan said:
The birds would take a candy, fly to a nearby perch, chip the chocolate off, eat the nut, then come back for another.
Well, that explains it. Here's a picture of one a bird. If you look carefully, you can see that he has one of my nuts in his mouth.

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/nh3.jpg

BorealChickadee said:
That's it, I can't stand it, I'll have to hike in NH. It's the darned birds fault.
Go to Field. Before going there, Julie told me they would be there. She knew. She knows her birds (and cats)

Thanks Pete. If it's Field for the birds, then it's Field for the hike. I'll have to get in touch with Julie next year to get more information. Do you recommend a particular guidebook?

I'll be sure to bring nuts. :cool: