Field, Willey and Tom are 1-2-3 on 12/3 for 31,2,3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
We had a fantastic day hiking Tom, Field, Willey and Avalon yesterday with our good friend Val. The weather and trail conditions were amazing for a December day and it was a real bonus to be able to sneak in three more 4000 footers this year.

My blog post with the story and lots of pictures is here: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/field-willey-and-tom-are-1-2-3-on-123.html

A little preview...

A long line of Presidents from Mt Avalon
IMG_2389.JPG

One of our little friends that followed us all day
IMG_2406.JPG

Congrats on 3 more off the list! I ran into you all as you were coming down off Avalon. Beautiful day wasn't it? I did Field, Willey and then continued on and exited by Kedron Flume trail to Willey House parking lot. Already have Tom in December and fall but who's keeping track? :)

It was nice meeting you out there Keith - however briefly. It was indeed a beautiful day out there! Hope to run into you again someday.

Hey Mark,

Wow, great trip report and pics! Looks like a beautiful day in the mountains. I'm convinced you only hit the Willy range on gorgeous days, based on your previous Avalon shots from a few years back.

I hate seeing those Gray Jays up there in the cold. It makes me feel bad for them. Wish they'd fly south!

I really like the route you guys chose too. I always thought about hitting Tom, Field, Willy, then Avalon...but I actually like your route much better.

Great TR!
Karl

Mark,
Great report and photos once again. Good to see you persevered and took on Tom, the 3rd - 4000 footer of the hike. Now you don't have to say "gee we should have." Nice that you dropped your packs to head up to Tom. It sure helps after you've been hiking for hours. I think it makes a lot of difference.
We do admire you and Natalie for taking on these longggggg day hikes.
Too bad there wasn't more snow on the ridge. But there will be plenty next time we all get up there again.

Donna:)

Nice report and pics Mark! The Gray Jays seem to have the Willey range completely covered!

Last fall I did a similar loop (skipped Willey), and the ice was THICK from Avalon to Field. So bad that we had to walk off trail through the scrub most of the way (my friends didn't bring any traction). We decided to try WRT/A-Z on the way down and it was... almost completely clear of ice. Funny how you saw the exact opposite.

Thanks for sharing - Love the pictures!

Maria(Daisy)

We had a fantastic day hiking Tom, Field, Willey and Avalon yesterday with our good friend Val. The weather and trail conditions were amazing for a December day and it was a real bonus to be able to sneak in three more 4000 footers this year.

My blog post with the story and lots of pictures is here: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/field-willey-and-tom-are-1-2-3-on-123.html

A little preview...

A long line of Presidents from Mt Avalon
IMG_2389.JPG

One of our little friends that followed us all day
IMG_2406.JPG

@Kevin - Thanks!

@Karl - we're definitely had great days up there. Avalon is a magical place and last weekend proved that the rest of the Willey Range is right there with it. As for the Gray Jays, I don't think they mind the cold and they're certainly happy for the company (particularly when it's bearing food). We would have taken the TFWA direction that you noted since I thought that finishing the day on Avalon would be good. Thanks to Val we took the route that we did since I think that's the only reason we got all 4 peaks.

@Donna - you're right about Tom. Glad we did. I was actually the foolish one that didn't drop my pack. Aw what the heck, I've been carrying it all day. Felt a bit different when we decided to run to the top. Was still great though. I'm with you on hoping for more snow when we ALL get up there again :)

@Jacob - yup, Gray Jays everywhere! We actually had plenty of ice from Avalon to Field as well (that's where we gave in and put the Microspikes on). Would have been a long day trekking through the scrub like you had without them.

@Daisy - thanks - glad you liked the pics. Happy to be able to share the day.

Awesome trip report Mark. I wish I had views like that when I did that hike it was all socked in. congrats on 17 4ks this year! I think this photo was my favorite.

IMG_2411.JPG

Patrick - thanks!

Freighttrain - glad you liked it. I had actually expected less views on this hike based on the typical comments about TFW summits. The views at all the summits were great and the bonus was that stretch along the Willey Range Trail where I got the picture you mentioned. Go back on a good day - it's definitely worth it!