Finishing the 46 - Seward, the Santanonis and Whiteface

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalogal

Reaction score
I had a really busy week. I was determined to finish the last 5 of the 46 because I had invited a bunch of friends and family to join me for the finale on Whiteface on Saturday the 27. The pressure was on.
On Wednesday the 24th, I returned to the Sewards to finish the range. Last fall, we day-hiked Seymour, and returned later for the other three, but ran out of time after climbing Donaldson and Emmons from the Caulkins Brook Trail. So a third trip was necessary, and for the third time, our efforts were unrewarded - no views, swirling clouds, and rain. As a result, I really have no affection for the Sewards. Those peaks are tough.
On Thursday the 25th, we did the Santanonis. I was really anxious about this trip - the legendary mud, the swamp, Times Square. I was concerned about having the time to finish the hike, and I thank all those who responded to my query about a reasonable starting time. I intended to start the hike at 6 am, but didn't actually get underway until 7. The total hike took just under 14 hours, so we hiked out the last 45 minutes or so (from about 8 to 8:45 pm) under head lamps. I found the estimated times to be accurate (3 hours round trip to Couchie, 2 hours to Santanoni, and a half-hour to Panther). It took us 2 hours to reach the herd path and two more hours to reach Times Square. It took us about 3 hours and 15 minutes to descend. We encountered a solo man who also did the range that day (at a much faster pace) and a group of women from Plattsburgh doing Couchie. If any of you are VFTT-ers, thanks for the advice and encouragement! The day could not have been lovelier. The skies were clear, the views were spectacular, and the legendary mud was no problem. The map of Times Square from the Adirondack Journey website is indispensable. After this hike, I felt like I had run a marathon. I was extremely proud of my hiking partner, my 13-year-old daughter Sarah, whose drive and determination never cease to amaze me. After all my trepidation, we really loved the Santanonis!
Finally, on Saturday the 27th, we climbed Whiteface. I had decided a few years ago to finish on Whiteface so that other non-hiking friends and family could join me to celebrate on the summit. Our group of 18 hikers was spread out over the Wilmington Trail in 4 sub-groups. I was really happy that my husband Jeff was able to join me. Our daughter Sarah was there of course, and our 10-year-old Emily also came along. Emily doesn't have the greatest hiking history, and I feared that I made a mistake by letting her hike with us. She was physically unprepared for the hike, and I had some emotional hand-holding to do at a time when I just wanted to get to the summit and celebrate. We (Jeff, Emily and I) finally made it, nearly five hours later, to the cheers of family and friends who waited for us and watched as we climbed the last rocky approach to the summit. I was really proud of Emily, and happy she was with me. My mother had driven to the summit with my 15-year -old daughter Alison (who will have nothing to do with mountains). We had champagne and truffles, and I felt like the "Queen for a Day" when word started spreading that there was a 46-er up there. I was congratulated by other hikers who told me they were at 7 or 15 or 20, and even tourists who had driven up Whiteface and appreciated the significance of my effort.
So now the quest has ended. It started when I climbed Esther in October 1980, and I was able to finish the 46 peaks before my 46th birthday (just barely). I thank everyone who joined me on Saturday, especially Jeff, Sarah and Emily, my sister Susan, Andrea, Gwyn and Jane, with whom I have shared many summits. To those who hiked with me for the first time on Saturday, I hope we enjoy other peaks together. While I may have completed a list, it feels like the journey will continue.

Congrats on the quest!

Hey congratulations on the 46 under 46 (as you said, just barely). I was reading your last two trail conditions for the Santanonis and then Whiteface. We did the Santanonis on Sat and I plan to finish on Whiteface as well (still have to do Esther though) with family in tow (some willingly and some not so much). Now you only have to do 31 more with your daughter...?

Congratulations! We had a similar experience with the Sewards but luckily the weather was great - I hope you have a chance to go back and savor the views from each and let the mountains redeem themselves.

Hello again..congratulations! I enjoyed our visit at TS .... I had the phone :).
I hope to finish this weekend on Cliff/Redfield ..poor planning for the final hurrah! Perhaps I'll see you at the 46er. spring mtg. Diana

Great FinisH !!!!!

:) What a great way to finish your dream- beautiful peaks, family and friends in tow. I've got the Santas and Esther to go- I hope to do the Santas this weekend with my husband. I've saved Esther for the same reason you saved Whiteface- so I can scoot over there and have everyone meet me ( my kids may do Esther with me,but I wouldn't count on it). So I definately know how you feel. I like the symmetry of finishing the 46 for your 46 years- I'll be happy to finish at 51! Cross your fingers for me- I'll see you at the Memorial Day meeting! :p

Great job Bflogal! If you're from Wmvle South then you know that "success is our motto in everything we do..."

I'll be finishing on Marshall in a few weeks. Whiteface is the perfect finish for the reasons you figured out. I've been up there a few times in my quest already. Santanoni's are indeed very special and offer so much on a decent day! Like Audrey suggests - give Sewards a chance. They are their own special place. I thought Seymour was the surprise - loved all the different views.

Congrats to the support from your family. You daughter thought much differently about her hike once she made the summit, no doubt. As to the 15 year old - mine's 16 with the same attitude. :rolleyes:

Hike on. HH show great promise for not running out of places to hike!

Buffalogal said:
... I was really happy that my husband Jeff was able to join me. Our daughter Sarah was there of course, and our 10-year-old Emily also came along.

All hail Queen Buffalogal! :D

I finished up there just about 1 year ago. We had a big family celebration too.

I don't recall anyone outside our party commenting on the 46R accomplishment, but there were some stares as we came up from the Lake. 'You *walked* up here?! :eek:', was heard once or twice! :D I love being places like that, (we were just up on Canon last week), where you can get that reaction.

What's next ? W46? Catskills?