Finishing the 67 in Baxter - Day 1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu

Reaction score
Here's my report of our trip to Maine last week. I will try to post pics when I get them from the group photographers. After a vfft planned Baxter trip fell through I was able to enlist some old hiking buds to come along and help me celebrate my 67 finish.
Day 1 - We stayed at Roaring Brook Camp and did N. Brother and Fort first. We were only one of two cars at the Marston T/H. This was a nice easy hike on a beautiful trail. Shortly after starting we saw a black bear crossing the trail. Nice! After hitting the N. Brother summit I left the group for the bushwack over to Fort. I started noticing some old and older flagging on the way over and it was annoying. I don't have a problem using a little at key spots on the way in, but you need to remove it on the way out. This is supposed to be a "bushwack" through a "wilderness" area. Anyway, after hitting both summits on Fort I made my way back, removing about 20 pieces of flagging as I went. Anyone who can't follow the herd path probably should not being going over to Fort anyway. Flame away! :rolleyes:
(continued)

Finishing the 67 in Baxter - Day 2/3

Day 2 - I decided to hike Hamlin solo and let the guys rest up for the big finish on Baxter. Went up the Saddle Trail, over to Hamlin summit and down the Hamlin Ridge trail. This was a tremendous hike with miles of above-treeline exposure and wonderful views for most of the way. Left R/B camp @7 and was back in camp @2. Had one interesting/scarey experience along the way which I will relate in a separate post t/c. Day 3 - We hiked Baxter via the classic route; up Cathedral, over the Knife-Edge and Pamola and down the H.Taylor Trail to R/B. This was hands down the most challenging, interesting route I have ever done!!! The Cathedral Trail is much more than just a hiking trail, it's more of a scramble and the Knife-edge speaks for itself! The section approaching Pamola was especially nice. All and all, we had five days of perfect weather and with three of my closest friends I finished my quest for the 67. Oh, and now I know why everyone is so into Baxter Park...We'll be back!:D

Cheers, Stu

Congratulations on your 67 finish Stu.

Sounds like you had a awsome finish with great friends to share your accomplishment.

Thanks all!

Thanks so much for the comments. It was a great way to finish. Now I am left thinking about whats next? Definitely going to continue on the winter 4k's, and also continue on the 100NEHH, but at a more relaxed pace. I may take a hike in the Catskills as well. But my #1 goal is to hike with more of my friends on VVFT.
Cheers, Stu

Congratulations!

Hi Stu. Congratulations on finishing the 67! You may remember Sheep and I from our Saddleback/Horn hike this summer. We both thoroughly enjoyed your company on that hike.