Finishing the winter 48 on Jefferson

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great!

We are trying to finish up the winter list ourselves and know how much it must mean to finish. Yay for you, and Lauky, and here's to the spirit of Duffy!

KDT

Hope our paths cross sooner, but if not you will see me and the little blue dog in April. :)

I'm sure we'll get back to the Whites before April, but when my wife asked me "What's next?" my response was, "Enough of getting up at 3:30 or 4:30 in the morning and strapping on that way over weight solo hiker's pack, :eek: I'm getting up at 6:30, putting on my fanny pack and going up Pleasant mt. :)

Ed - Fantastic accomplishment for you and Lauky. And yeah, the last two shots are especially amazing. They look like they're right out of the Brad Washburn gallery.

Ed -

Congratulations on finishing the W48. What an absolutely perfect "mountain" day it looked like you had, and to finish on Jefferson....fantastic! Good for you and Laukey. Thanks for sharing the photos. Beautiful.

Thanks again everybody.:)

Here are a few more pictures from the day:

Lauky telling everyone that he made it.
006-2.jpg

The group that I met up there heading down into some spectacular ice formations. I think Jefferson is, in the winter anyway, more spectacular than Washington.
013-1.jpg

Madison and Jefferson together.
019.jpg

Jefferson
021-2.jpg

Washington playing peek-a-boo.
014-1.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's wicked cool when people finish the winter 4s on Jefferson, a la Miriam & Robert Underhill, the first to do 'em all in winter. Curious - did you have that in mind or did it just happen that you finished on that peak?

Regardless, congratulations!!

I think it's wicked cool when people finish the winter 4s on Jefferson, a la Miriam & Robert Underhill, the first to do 'em all in winter. Curious - did you have that in mind or did it just happen that you finished on that peak?

Regardless, congratulations!!

It really was just a coincidence. For the Presidentials I had done everything from Washington south with Duffy. Then Last year I was getting Lauky through his 48 all season in a year and we got caught by winter and the high winds etc. but were finally able, about this time last year, to snag Madison and then Adams where he finished. That also gave me those two for winter. Only Jefferson was left of the high peaks. I also had the "marathons" left to do, that is Isolation, Owl's Head, Twins-Galehead and the Zeeland--Bonds traverse so I started by getting them out of the way. I got down to the end and it was a choice one weekend of Jefferson or the Bonds and with the weather conditions high up somewhat questionable, I decided to go for the Bonds.

Ergo--the last one left was Jefferson and I will admit it was a great peak to finish on.