First state-owned public landing on Lake Winnipesaukee

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
New Hampshire Fish & Game has acquired a marina at the south end of Alton Bay and will shortly open a new public landing, the first for the state on the lake. Might even be time to go out before freeze-up (if that actually comes this winter ...)

Here's an aerial photo of the site. This might disappear shortly, as the domain probably won't be maintained much longer by the former owners.

Last edited:
If you look at the announcement, you'll see mention of some parking for cartop boats. The southern end of the lake is very narrow, with a fair amount of boat (and even floatplane) traffic at times. But my (mostly uninformed) impression is that the honking big 70mph cigarette boats tend to stay away from that end. I'd still paddle very close to shore until I got to where it widens out, all the same. (My wife refuses to paddle on Winni ...)

Made a quick inspection of the site yesterday. I imagine it will be a regular circus on summer weekends, as people become aware of its existence. There's a small patch of shallow water to the side that is ideal for kayak launching. I'm guessing the designated cartop parking will be limited to a half dozen vehicles or less, from the looks of things. (I was sorely tempted to get my boat down from its straps in the basement and head back for a paddle. The water was dead calm, with no one on it, and there was virtually zero ice in the southern arm of Winni. My local ponds froze up this week.)

Landing.jpg

Winni.jpg