First trip to Adirondacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellow dog

Reaction score
I'm heading out to the Adirondacks for the first time mid August. Most of the hiking I've done in the past has been in ME/NH/VT and I'd like to see something new. I plan on going for about 4 days with a 3 day/2 night trip and maybe a shorter dayhike to start or end the trip. I'm looking for suggestions for the overnight. I've searched the forums and haven't found anything that really fits yet but feel free to post links to other good posts or sites.

I'd like to do some sort of loop so I don't have to worry about hitchhiking or spotting another car that would hit some of the nicer peaks and as many 4000 footers as is reasonable. I'm good for about 12-15 miles a day with a full pack although I could push further if necessary. No dogs along for this trip either.

Also what's the deal with bear canisters? I haven't used one before and although I've hung food as a precaution before I've never had any bear problems in New England so haven't worried about bears much.

Looking over some maps, Adirondack Loj looks like a good starting point then up over the MacIntyre Range to Lake Colden on the first day with maybe some more exploration if there is time. From there I'm not sure where to go? Maybe there is a better starting point for a 3 day loop?

Any suggestions or links to other info would be appreciated.

yellow dog said:
I'm heading out to the Adirondacks for the first time mid August.
Welcome! :D

The bear canister is required for over night trips. You can rent them at several places up there.

Starting at the Loj is definitely a good choice. You could do Colden, Marshall, Cliff, Redfield, Skylight, Gray, Marcy, Tabletop, Phelps in a big loop. Not necessarily in that order, but you get the idea.

You can also start from Upper works and hike to Flowed lands and camp at a lean-to. From there, you have lots of choices.

You can also start at the Garden or the AMR property and explore a more easterly section.

If you want to do the Dixes, start at Elk Lake and go in to the lean-to and set up camp there. You can do a loop around the dixes in either direction, Dix, Hough, Grace, Carson, Maccomb.

If you want some nice short hikes, there is Mt. Jo near the Loj, Pitchoff, Noonmark, and still on the 4K list, Cascade and Porter.

Enjoy! :D

For the shorter day hike, I think Cascade & Porter offer the most "bang for your buck" in the Adks. If it's a weekend, just get to the trailhead early (its right on Rt 73) because the available parking fills up fast.

For the longer trip, I definitely second what Mr Rankin said. Either start from the Loj and bag Marcy, etc. OR start from the Garden and hit most of the Great Range (Wolf Jaws, Gothics, etc.). Either way, you can't go wrong, they both showcase of the best of the Daks.

Have a good time and beware... an ADK mile is a lot longer than a mile anywhere else ;) :D

This site is really good.

Adirondackjourney.com

Try this:

Golf Course/AMR lake road-Gothics-Saddleback-Basin

Sleep at snowbird campsite

Haystack

Drop weight at Panther Gorge Lean-to and dayhike any of Skylight, Marcy and Gray. Back to Lean-to

Go back up to 4 corners and bag whatever you didn't bag yesterday and go to Uphill brook LT, drop weight and do Cliff and Redfield.

Next day: hike out to Loj.

I know, you didn't want to deal with hitch-hiking but I've never had a problem getting a ride. (I'm extremely sexy looking so that might help)

To avoid the hitch-hiking you can exit back over Haystack and all of those peaks (again) back out to your car at the Golf Course.

I think this would get you the best the Dacks have to offer.

Wright-Algonquin-Iroquois is just as nice and is a day hike.

I really like Neil's suggestion. Two notes: 1) descending the South side of Saddleback has one interesting spot, but certainly doable; 2) the South side of Haystack is steep, but not nearly as bad as Barbara McMartin describes it.

Let's be clear, too. Bear canisters are required for all overnights in the Eastern High Peaks in spring, summer, and fall. While they may be recommended elsewhere, it's a bit disingenuous to suggest otherwise. Of course, the vast majority of the popular hikes are in the Eastern High Peaks, but if one were to backpack in the Dixes, Santanonis, Sewards, or on Giant--to name a few ares--a canister is not necessary (but, again, recommended).

Here is a list of places that rent them.

Regarding hitch-hiking, park your car at South Meadow (to avoid ADK Loj parking fees), and use your already-made cardboard sign that says, "Ausable Club" to hitch to the beginning of your hike. It's a lot nicer when you don't have to worry about hitching at the end of a tiring hike.

Thanks for the info. I was looking over some of the suggested routes on the map I have from the Adirondack Trails High Peaks Region book. Are there any better maps available than this one? I'm used to the maps in the White Mountain guidebooks which have more detail and color to get a better idea of what the terrain and trails are like.

There are the National Geographic Tyvek maps which are very good and after that the USGS Quads. All available at the Mountaineer in Keene or EMS in L. Placid.

My thoughts:

Bear Canisters: Major PITA, but they're required, so ya gotta just suck it up and rent one. The best way I've found to carry them is between the top of the pack and the lid -- especially if your pack has a "floating" lid that can be extended upward. Or, do what I try to do and get your hiking partner to carry it. ;)

Day Hike: Haven't done Cascade/Porter yet (heading up late August with my kids for their first 46ers), but I strongly recomment Giant Mountain as a great day hike. Like Cascade, there's no long approach -- start ascending right from the pulloff on Rt. 73. The summit view is stunning, as you can see the entire great range. I did it in winter, but I assume the summer view is much the same.

Loop Hike: All the previous suggestions sound good, though you may want to think of a Great Range traverse. We did one last fall starting at the Bushnell Falls LT (though you could also start at the JBL) and hit Little Haystack, Haystack, Basin, Saddleback, Gothics, Armstrong, Lower Wolfjaw and Upper Wolfjaw, returning the lean-to for the night. IIRC, it was about 10.5 hours and something like 13 miles. (But it was the 12,000+ of elevation change that made us a bit sore the next day! :rolleyes: )

I'd go fro the Cascade day trip, especially if the weather is nice. High trailhead & pretty easy approach.

For the back pack; from the Loj you have options that include all the MacIntyre's Indian Pass, Avalanche Pass & the lakes, Marcy, Phelps Table, Colden, Gray, Skylight Street & Nye, Lake Tear......

I'd probably opt for somthing like this:

1 - MacIntyre's, descend to lakes & get a sight over there
2 - Make way to Panther Gorge trail 121,, Lake Tear of the Clouds & Skylight.
3 - if felling strong, up to Haystack, if not back to Lake Tear & up Marcy (steep but short up) then down to Marcy Dam sites.
4th day, leave heavy stuff, up & see Colden & then back to camp & out to Loj

I picked up the National Geographic Adirondack map. I like the incremental trail distances and the important features stand out a little better.

I've pretty much settled on starting at Upper Works and heading in to the Flowed Lands. From there I'm making a counterclockwise loop starting with
Cliff, Redfield, maybe Gray, Skylight, then down to Panther gorge day one. Second day Haystack, Marcy, Tabletop, Phelps and down to Marcy dam. Third day Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois and possibly out, possibly stay out another night. That seems a little ambitious but the loop allows for bailing out due to bad weather or exhaustion into the valley at quite a few places. I'll probably skip the dayhike and stay out on the trail for the entire trip.

Thanks for the suggestions.