Fishin' Jimmy's magic steps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
Was hiking back from Kinsman Ridge last Sunday when I ran across a few dozen of these wooden steps on sections of incline, on the upper part of the Fishin' Jimmy trail. Any thoughts on how they might be attached? I haven't a clue. Nifty idea though.

I'm not sure but I know I didn't trust walking on them after I saw a couple of steps missing from the rock.

Double-stick duct tape?

I'll guess the steps are set on rods driven into the rock and secured with cement or epoxy. Anyone know for sure?

The last time I was up this trail, the steps looked like this. Good thing for crampons.

Mark wins!

Drill a hole, insert a rod, fill with epoxy, let set, mount wooden step.

Yup, the holes are drilled into the rock, then rebar is cemented in place, then PT steps are cut to match the rock face and pounded on.

They exisit on Fishin' Jimmy, Beaver Brook, and Wildcat Ridge, plus probably a few more places.

-dave-

When I worked trail crew in the Sandwich Range wilderness, we couldn't use any DeWalts... star drill, all the way.

el-bagr said:
When I worked trail crew in the Sandwich Range wilderness, we couldn't use any DeWalts... star drill, all the way.
I've used star drills as well (hit drill, twist, repeat as necessary) but I heard that the FS crews had a gas powered drill. Maybe it was pneumatic. Anyone ever seen one? With the number of steps and handrails on Beaver Brook I think a star drill would have been unbareably slow.

-dave-

Setting pins and rods

Many years ago we used to carry chunks of sulfur which we would melt on a primus and then pour into the hand drilled hole to set the rod. Of course these were the days before epoxy was invented. Did this in the US army a loong time ago. Young-uns :)

I am fairly certain they used a gas drill on Wildcat Ridge, at least they had a 5 gal. gas can :)

There was a lot of Federal money for the A.T. in the '70s and some of the trail work was overdone. It seemed like they deliberately left the drill holes up so you'd know it was $$ and not God that set those steps. I did a sketch of a structure on the Fishin Jimmy that was a single 8" log you were supposed to walk on 3 feet off the ground, it was removed long ago. The pinned steps on the Blueberry Ledge Trail have been removed also.

I was on Fishin' Jimmy yesterday for the first time, and I noticed the magic steps, the holes mentioned by Davehiker, plus a ****load of rockwork and bog bridges. A lot of work has gone into this trail, both building and maintenance. Does anybody know the history of this trail? Who built it? Who maintains it?

Steve

According to the 27th ed. Guide, AMC maintains the trail. It isn't described or shown in the maps of the 3rd or 5th editions. The 11th edition attributes maintenance responsibility to AMC but says nothing of the trail's origins. So Fishin Jimmy Trail was likely built circa 1925 - 1935 by AMC.

Roy S. mentioned the pinned steps that used to be on Blueberry Ledge Trail. If you go just a short distance above that spot, you'll notice some square rock steps with 1" drill holes. The story I heard was that they were blasted from the ledge.

Nadine said:
With normal wear and tear, what would the life expectancy of the steps be?
I'm pretty sure the Beaver Brook steps were built in the 70's. They seem to be holding up pretty well. When they someday do wear out, I imagine you could put new PT steps on the existing rebar.

-dave-

sp1936 said:

I was on Fishin' Jimmy yesterday for the first time, and I noticed the magic steps, the holes mentioned by Davehiker, plus a ****load of rockwork and bog bridges. A lot of work has gone into this trail, both building and maintenance.

I had the same impression the week before. You can really tell when the trail maintainers have done a thorough job.

Who makes the administrative decisions on these trails to decide whether to put steps in? (I assume it is less for hiker convenience than to prevent erosion from detour herd paths, maybe for safety also)

It would be great to see something like this on the upper part of the Success Trail. (I'd be willing to help w/ the trail work if they did)

David Metsky said:
... They exisit on Fishin' Jimmy, Beaver Brook, and Wildcat Ridge, plus probably a few more places. ...
It's probably not a coincidence that these are all part of the AT. I think it's also true that the bog bridges along the Carter Moriah Trail (also part of the AT) are in better shape than nearby non-AT sections.

I'm wondering if there is extra money for AT sections, or if it's just that these get more use and hence are more "hardened". Anyone know? Dave?

Pb

Hi All,
For the record, the SE Mass AMC Chapter is the adopter if the trail from the campground and around the lake. Don't know who does Fishin Jimmy.

We're always looking for volunters(we don't charge people to work)-we usually go up three weekends a year-spring,summer & fall. We do the basic maintenance, install rock bars, repair the bog bridges and whatever else needs to be done. You can get pretty dirty but its a lot of fun...and we feed you :D

If anyone's interested let me know-trail work is very rewarding. The AMC Adopter Program has a great motto: Get Out, Get Dirty,Give Back
Cheers,
PH

PS: I'm the Vice-Chair of the chapter's Trail Committee

Papa Bear said:
I'm wondering if there is extra money for AT sections, or if it's just that these get more use and hence are more "hardened". Anyone know?
As mentioned in my note, there was a great deal of Federal money for the AT reconstruction in the '70s. In addition to a lot of rock steps, there were bog bridges in the Carters, Shelburne Moriah, and Mahoosucs, removal of cairns and stone wall building on Franconia Ridge and Presidentials, etc.

Last winter I talked to a guy who worked several weeks on Franconia Ridge, he said it was the only time on trail crew that he got a tan.