Flags on the 48 Reminder

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be raising the flag on S. Carter. Stop by.

Owlshead for us, I doubt many will stop by but you never know. We're looking forward to flying the flag in the clear from the new summit.

Lots of flags in view

Hiked in via Osseo this AM and got to the summit of Flume at around nine. Waited around for the flag crew and watched them set up. Just before I departed back down Osseo we could see flags on Liberty, Lincoln, Bond Cliff, South Twin, Garfield and of course Flume despite all the purple haze. No A10 fly buys today tho. Great show.

Thanks to you all who made Flags on the 48 work again this year. I was on the road with a very full vehicle returning Boulderdash to college. :eek:

Next year?

On Jefferson we had 50 people on the summit at the time I counted!! Mostly in the clouds, they did give way to a few glimpses of sunshine allowing us to see the flag on Adams. Very windy today. Hikers coming from Edmunds Col reported they could hear our flag way down there snapping in the wind.

Besides the American flag, we were joined by a group carrying a US Marines flags in honor of a son currently in Iraq.

For anyone in the Southern NH area, we were joined by a reporter, his daughter, and a photographer from the Nashua Telegraph. The story should be in the Monday edition.

Thanks to all who were either part of a flag crew, or simply hiked to a peak. Many on the peak expressed thanks to the flag crew today. Most we talked too were hiking today specifically for Flags on the 48.

The rains came in just as we were getting into our cars, sure glad they held off for most of us - to those who had a longer hiked out, we hope you stayed somewhat dry and safe.

God Bless!

Had ourselves a nice little crowd going on Garfield. We all kinda watched anxiously as a very nasty looking cloud wrapped itself around Lafayette and socked it in. Then not too long after Lincoln and then Liberty got the full blast. It looks like they got hammered real good up there, and it was only 1 hour into the fly time. We heard a few rumblings over from that way too. We semi-lucked out as the nastiest of the stuff skipped over us and then smashed into South Twin and started battering it too. Eventually we decided to pull the plug at 1:30 as the squall line cleared temporarily to allow for a dry take-down, but no sooner were we done than we too got hammered.

But, on a good note, we saw flags above the trees on Owl's Head and Galehead!

Brian

We (Pedxing and I) hoisted the flag on the tower atop Carrigan. We could see the flag atop North Hancock. Took binoculars to spot it. From there, we could make it out afterwards.

There were some ladies hiking in pearls. Apparently a yearly trip. On was from Manhattan. Anyone know the whole story with them?

Willoughby and I made it up to Liberty and then over to Flume. Both summits were crowded with standing room only. Nice crowds. Thank you to the flag crews. Awesome sight. We were able to catch glimpses of flags on several peaks. Clouds hampered some of the viewing and showers rolled in over at Flume about 1 pm which sent everyone scurring for rain gear. Thunder was in the background and I didn't much care for the aluminium pole on the summit of Flume. Hope everyone had a safe descent. We got back to the Flume parking lot about 3:45 and the clouds were real dark over Lafayette and Lincoln. Osseo was definitely slippery, I can only imagine what Liberty Springs descent was like. Thanks again to all coordinated and pulled it off. It's a shame we can't make it to every peak in the 2 hour span. I got Monroe and Eisenhower last year and Liberty and Flume this year. Only 22 years to go and I'll make them all. God, you hear that, 22 more years!!!!!! Thanks again all.

We were on Jackson. A 3x5 and a 6x10 flag were flying by about 11:30. We got some rain around 1:45, broke down and hiked out in rain/sun/rain. Driving through Franconia Notch at about 4:30 we hit a WICKED storm, driving rain, lightning striking the ridge. I believe everyone got down and out safely, which was great. It was a great weekend. My wife and boys first NH 48 and quite a special memorial. It was great meeting everyone at the KOA.

Jefferson

Al and I climbed up Six Husbands Trail to the summit of Jefferson to meet Pete and Kenny. Pete had a USMC flag in honor of his son in Iraq. We could hear what sounded like a drum beating as we came over Jefferson's Knee. Turned out it was the large US Flag that Skiguy and Bob and Jeri had erected with considerable engineering skill. Just as we were starting to head south on the Gulfside Trail the clouds broke over Adams and we could make out the flag flying on that summit.

Thanks to everyone that participated! It's very humbling to see such a response. Many thanks to Darren and the moderators for allowing us to post about the event on these forums. Pics and trail reports of the hike can be found at Flagsonthe48.org

I was on North Twin and could see with a naked eye Flags on South Twin, Galehead and Garfield. With binoculars we could see, Flume, Liberty, Lincoln, Lafayette and Owl's Head from the west outlook. From the east outlook we could see Hale, Tom, Willey, and Mt Bond. Outstanding job by all!

Had a great day on Carrigain. Had the pleasure of seeing Klutz and UphillKlimber again and meeting Abster and a fine group that came up for a while and sang the Star Spangled Banner. Hikers in Pearls also droppen in on their memorial hike.