Flume the long way via Old Bridle Path / Osseo - 2/6/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeyPuck

Reaction score
Ascended Old Bridle Path and easily barebooted the hard packed trail. Put on snowshoes for the steep section and wore them the last 0.5 miles to Greenleaf. They were overkill, I would recommend microspikes.

Switched to 6 point crampons at the hut. The ascent up Lafayette was solid rime ice with a few rocky sections. The ridge was a mixture of mostly bare rock with ice and some rime ice sections. I wore the 6 pointers all the way to Litte Haystack. Microspikes would have also been a good choice.

Encountered several people who ascended Falling Waters. I didn't ask about trail conditions but every hiker wore either microspikes or crampons.

Franconia Ridge South of Little Haystack was broken out by 2 hikers going North. 3-4 inches of powder snow and you'll need snowshoes continuing South to Liberty / Flume.

Osseo had 4-5 downed trees. Upper section I'd recommend snowshoes, lower section I'd recommend microspikes.

Special Equipment Required: Full winter gear. Wind was 30-40 MPH on the Lafayette summit blowing from the Northeast.

Your name: HockeyPuck / Trevor