Footware

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of shoes do you wear on a 15-20 mile hike in the summer months

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No matter the mileage... unless I might lose toes to frostbite I wear trail runners with high gaiters (OR Rocky mountain High/Cascadia) for the 3 seasons.

I used New Balance for a few years and now they are retired... we'll see what replaces them this year.

I have the EMS Endorphins that I will try out, but they don't seem rugged enough and some stitching is already pulling. But the overall shoe is ok.
I also have Salomon 3D Pro XCRs. They are light and gore-tex - maybe a little too warm for summer, and I'd prefer to have something that sheds water rather than keep it in. The sole is nice and stiff, though. Good for hiking, not good for running (for me, at least).

This year I think I will continue my search for a shoe with good cushioning, fits nicely and sheds lots of water.

nb 809's

newest 800 series model are available in the nb factory stores in limited sizes for now at a considerable discount in relation to retail stores. just picked up a pair. i've been wearing them for years now. i like them for all the obvious reasons,weight,fast drying,price,comfort.

Neil said:
Approach shoes are little runners with a sticky sole. They are nice on steep slabs. I don't know why they call them that. Maybe cuz you approach the real technical climbing in them and then switch.

As Neil pointed out, approach shoes are pretty similar to trail runners and low hikers. The rubber on the soles is stickier and more flexible than a low hiker. There's usually less cushioning than a trail runner, but better edging control. These things were invented because most people would be maimed trying to hike in their technical climbing shoes if the "approach" to the cliff is any distance from the trailhead.

Depending on skill level, one can climb less technical grades with approach shoes. For hiking, they provide fantastic footing on some of the funky slabs and rocks that you find throughout the Catskills and the Whites--such as on the trail between Garfield and Galehead hut.

Halite said:
As Neil pointed out, approach shoes are pretty similar to trail runners and low hikers. The rubber on the soles is stickier and more flexible than a low hiker. There's usually less cushioning than a trail runner, but better edging control. These things were invented because most people would be maimed trying to hike in their technical climbing shoes if the "approach" to the cliff is any distance from the trailhead.

Depending on skill level, one can climb less technical grades with approach shoes. For hiking, they provide fantastic footing on some of the funky slabs and rocks that you find throughout the Catskills and the Whites--such as on the trail between Garfield and Galehead hut.
do you have any examples (ie. brands, models etc).

Nice post, Harry.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
do you have any examples (ie. brands, models etc).
Usually companies that make climbing shoes also make approach shoes that use the same sticky climbing rubber on their soles. So, La Sportiva, Five Ten, Mad Rock... all have approach shoes.

The La Sportiva Exum Ridge:
http://alpenglowgear.com/gear/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_47&products_id=223

Five Ten Mountain Master:
http://alpenglowgear.com/gear/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_47&products_id=205

Last edited:
I have a pair of these and love the fit, feel, performance, protection underfoot and the marketing name for their sticky rubber--Gryptonite! (All right, maybe the marketing name is a bit hokey.)

Montrail CTC:
http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/...693/level3_id/0/level1_id/0/level2_id/0/N/663

I haven't tried these, but they look interesting:

Garmont Sticky Cat:
http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/...685/level3_id/0/level1_id/0/level2_id/0/N/663

These are probably as durable as most trail shoes--i.e., the insoles are likely to break down and lose cushioning after a few hundred miles.

There are many others out there, which have varying degrees of similarity to low hikers, trail runners or plain tennies.

exCept fer winter, i hike in trial runners and carry my Chacos, switching back and forth depending upon conditions. NOTHING beats hiking in good sandals, but i ususally wear socks with em. Iffin it gets real messy, muddy, wet, etc. i switch to the trail runners. It's amazing how much slop[ you can walk thru in trail runners w/o feeling wet. But since i wear socks with my sandals when distance hiking they dont like the wet so much.... :D BTW my Chacos have the special aqua-stealth dot pattern. I got em esp. for slippery, slimy slabs and things, but they so darn comfey i wear em whenever i can! :D :D :D i like doing short summer hikes barefoot sometimes too :eek: .

As soon as it warms up a little, I switch to high but light LL Bean hiking boots--embarassed to say I don't remember their name. A friend who's an orthopedic surgeon once told me it was no wonder I never sprain my ankles, because "you've got nothing left in there to stretch!" :eek: I use a small orthotic arch support, so sandals are out of the question, and I need that ankle support, too.

What I don't need is 5 pounds on each foot!

I love my Merrell Yukon's, but they are a bit heavy so I'm looking for a new set of boots for summer. I did get some Merrell Helium Ventilators, but they are of the low variety and would like something with some ankle support and a stiff shank.

I regularly bring my Merrell sandals hiking, but don't do a lot of trail miles in them.

cbcbd said:
Usually companies that make climbing shoes also make approach shoes that use the same sticky climbing rubber on their soles. So, La Sportiva, Five Ten, Mad Rock... all have approach shoes.

The La Sportiva Exum Ridge:
http://alpenglowgear.com/gear/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_47&products_id=223

Five Ten Mountain Master:
http://alpenglowgear.com/gear/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_47&products_id=205

true, but be aware that this rubber wears out very quickly...

Personally, I wouldn't do an entire hike wearing approach shoes again. I did that on the Nippletop Slide and regretted it. I would carry them to the base of the slide and then put them on.

Neil said:
Personally, I wouldn't do an entire hike wearing approach shoes again. I did that on the Nippletop Slide and regretted it. I would carry them to the base of the slide and then put them on.

What didn't work for you using them for the hike in?

I've found approach shoes amazingly comfortable, even with a relatively heavy pack. The only issue I've had with them is the lack of ankle protection when stepping on and around large rocks. I also wouldn't use them if I was planning to bushwhack a river like the Neversink, where a little water protection can go a long way.

As Highhorse pointed out, the rubber wears faster than typical Vibram soles. I've found the bigger issue is the insoles losing their cushion and the potential wear and tear on the stitching of the uppers. Approach shoes are definitely more like disposable footware than heavy hikers. But for me, it's still cheaper and more comfortable than all the extra bandages I need when wearing heavy hikers.

I’m an old school “do what works for you” kind of guy on questions like this. What works for me, and hence my choice is “Heavy, high top boots” (custom Limmers), because they fit my feet and are very comfortable -- moreso than any off-the-shelf footwear I own. When conditions warrant, I add short -- ankle high -- gaiters in the summer. (Haven’t found any knee length lightweight gaiters with sufficient girth to properly go around my manly calves.)

G.

Halite said:

I don't know about Neil, but I bought my approach shoes to fit snug for better climbing performance and they become uncomfortable when hiking more than a few miles.

I have weak ankles, so I wear mostly high-top boots, except for trail-running jaunts with no pack or a fanny pack.

For long hikes I wear some trusty and crumbling Raichle high-top boots (I've forgotten the model # but I heard a clarion sounding and angels singing when I first put them on :D; there was no break-in period) which I've had for alot of years, and had re-soled by a well-know cobbler in Seattle last season. Despite his efforts, the stitching is starting to go, so it's just a matter of time before I hold a wake, burn them and scatter the ashes this season or next.

I bought a pair of Asolo high-top boots on sale last year. I finally dug them out this morning to start wearing them to work, etc everyday before my first dry weather hike. Both pairs of boots, unlike my winter boots are exactly my street-footsize. My winter plastic boots are 1/2 size larger.

I like to wear short gaiters on long hikes. It saves on the stop-remove-my-boot(s)-shake-out-the-pebble routine. Having said that, any one see an EMS short gaiter in the Pemi river downstream of Owl's head 2 seasons ago? I dropped one crossing Lincoln brook in my bare feet.

Enjoy,

- LTH

Halite said:
The ones I had were pretty dainty and snug. Just the ticket for the slide but no good for my tootsies on a long haul. I lost one of them approaching the Bottle Slide on Giant Mtn. in the Adirondacks and will buy something called "Sticky Pins" if they still make them next year. Maybe they might be OK on a longer hike. Only one way to find out.

BTW, trail runners on bushwhacks in dry weather are unbeatable on that soft and porous Adirondack soil.

LivesToHike said:
I have weak ankles
Try standing on the ball of one foot with the heel slightly raised crossways on a piece of 2 by 4. I bet one leg is more difficult than the other, concentrate on that side but do both. Do this every day for a while and you might be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Looks like I'm the only one to pick "sandally shoes". Regardless of distance or pack size, once the snow melts I hike in "water shoes" - my new ones are similar to these. They look like sneakers in the photo, but they're more like sandals with a bit of netting over them.

I'd hike barefoot if I could, this is the closest thing I've found.

Neil said:
Try standing on the ball of one foot with the heel slightly raised crossways on a piece of 2 by 4. I bet one leg is more difficult than the other, concentrate on that side but do both. Do this every day for a while and you might be pleasantly surprised at the results.
I was given this exercise, minus the 2x4, as physical therapy when I severely sprained my ankle and told to recite the alphabet on each leg. Ok, that's not so bad but then do it with your eyes closed. It's a good exercise for balance as well as strengthening the ankle. I pull the other leg up to my butt as a means of stretching at the same time.