Footware

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of shoes do you wear on a 15-20 mile hike in the summer months

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stan said:
I was given this exercise, minus the 2x4, as physical therapy when I severely sprained my ankle and told to recite the alphabet on each leg. Ok, that's not so bad but then do it with your eyes closed. It's a good exercise for balance as well as strengthening the ankle. I pull the other leg up to my butt as a means of stretching at the same time.

I'm sure there are all kinds of good exercises for ankles, and here is another one.

I was told to 'draw' the alphabet with my foot during PT. Use cursive, or print, upper or lower case, and mix it up. The point is to do varied things with the foot and ankle.

Tom, 1111 posts ! Make a wish !

When I wake up and when I lay down I do the alphabet (or something close) with both feet for a few minutes. Anyone who has calf, ankle and/or foot pain should try this simple stretching routine. It's made a HUGE difference for me.

Most people would prefer more complicated answers, but this is a simple one that works for me.

Oh, and I wear light, high top boots. My Montrail Olympus' are the most substantial boots I've owned (other than plastics) and they weigh about 2 lbs.

Last edited:
approach shoes w/gaiters

I've been using Garmont Sticky Weekend (i think they are discontinued or are changed drastically) approach shoes with my OR Croc's for 6 years now and yes, it's time for a resole or maybe complete replacement (mid-sole is pretty squishy). The all-leather uppers get annual or bi-annual Biwell Red leather treatment and are in excellent condition, though the laces are pretty chewed up.

I rarely wear them on pavement so usually only on trails or through brush on the way to my favorite camping or climbing spots. It seems like i always have a pack on and they usually weigh at least 35 pounds (backpacking stuff or climbing stuff depending) and the Sticky Weekends are great for this use. I am usually moving at a speedwalk pace and they feel just like my runners, only a bit stiffer/more stable even though no ankle support.

The gaiters are worn because i wear shorts when packing in the summer months (though not when climbing - OUCH!!) and they are great for keeping scuffs off my shins and stuff outta my socks.

Hope this helps......