Franconia Ridge 3.17.09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Townie

Reaction score
With winter (at least OFFICIAL winter) fast waning, what's a fella to do when he'd like to finish his winter 4K's before a big birthday? Well, with the weather forecast for St. Patty's Day being nearly perfect, and with all his friends working :p , there's not a much better choice than a solo hike down Franconia Ridge from Lafayette to Flume!

The sun was just coming over the ridge as I started up the Old Bridle Path. (I've done the Bridal Path thing--twice is enough!) In addition to getting out quite a bit this winter, I've been hitting the stair stepper at the gym in an effort to combat the deconditioning effects of desk jockeying and physical decline :eek:, so I was ready to see how much good it's done.

OBP is a fine trail. It snakes through the hardwoods for awhile, then it decides to gain altitude. And once it decides . . . .

The reason the "bumps" on the trail are called the "Agonies", I'm told, is to reflect the agonies of the hut croos who have had to hump gigantic loads up to Greenleaf Hut over the years. It's a well-deserved label. After the hiker has worked a bit, the spectacular views are well-deserved, too. The trail skirts the ravine, sometimes only a couple feet from the edge, so as to give a fantastic view of Lafayette, Lincoln, and the spectacular ravine that drops from the ridge toward the valley floor. Microspikes® were the perfect footwear for the often slippery snow and melting ice.

Uphills have always been difficult for me. I wonder if it has something to do with the weight in my pack, the weight on my feet, and . . . the weight around my middle. :confused: Anyway, with some effort I soon found myself within view of Greenleaf Hut. Much of the porch was clear of snow, so I took the opportunity for a little calorie loading and dawdling in the sun. Put crampons and sunscreen on, too.

After that it was up the cone of Lafayette, to some of the best views I've seen in all my years of hiking. There were Washington and the Presidential range, arrayed behind the Twins. There were Garfield, tiny little Galehead, Guyot, the Bonds, Carrigain, Owl's Head and, just to the right, my ultimate destination: Flume! Oh, and Lincoln, too. Sometimes I suffer from spectacularity fatigue. ;)

There was very little wind on the Lafayette summit, and the temperature was warm enough to allow for some ice melt. Once again I dawdled and took lots of photos. Who can hurry on a day like that, in a place like that?

Eventually I made my way down the south side of the Lafayette summit cone, and in no time I had covered the mile to Lincoln. There I was rewarded for my efforts with more views, including for the first time Liberty to go along with its colleague Flume. I could see Moosilauke, which was my any season #48 a couple years ago around this time. This day certainly didn't match that one, which featured 60 mph winds, cold, blowing ice particles . . . and quite a few good and new friends.

As much as I'm a social guy, though, there are times when a solo hike, especially a long and challenging one like this, is just what I need. I don't do a whole lot of "deep thinking", I just enjoy the solitude and usually try to get "that song" out of my head. This time it wasn't so bad, because the song was a new one we'll be playing this coming weekend at Unfrozen Caveman's.

Washington and the other Presidentials seemed to track my movements as I hiked along. At first they were behind the Twins, but slowly they moved south relative to the peaks of the eastern Pemi. It was like getting new and different views every time I looked over there. What a treat!

Continued . . .

Deuxieme partie:

At Little Haystack it was time to decide: do I head down the Falling Waters trail to my vehicle, or do I press on to Liberty and (maybe) Flume? at 1:50 p.m. it wasn't a hard decision, and I set out for Liberty. The walk along that part of the ridge is in the trees, mostly rather scrubby ones, but there aren't many views. As one may imagine, that trail is less used than any of the others in the area, but it was still pretty solid and well tracked. I had no trouble following it or staying on the surface despite the fact that I was still wearing crampons. (I just carried the snowshoes for weight training purposes that day. :eek:)

At the trail junction for Liberty Springs, it was another decision time. Although I made worse time than I had expected from Little Haystack, I still had time even though it meant I would probably get out of the woods after dark. I jettisoned some weight (including the snowshoes) but carried enough with me to be safe if anything untoward should happen. As is my usual practice, I set a turn-around time for Liberty. If I didn't meet or beat it I would turn back and leave Flume for another day.

Ten days earlier I had turned around at Bond while my companions had pressed on to West Bond, and I was sure that was the right decision at the time. Still, as I walked up to Liberty I was thinking how there was no one to wait for me or to try to keep up with, so I had much more "freedom" to choose the more challenging course. I was pretty tired by this time, but Flume didn't look that far away, so . . . .

Different decision, but also the right one for the occasion. I was surprised by how quickly (for me) I reached the Flume summit. We all know the feeling of having pushed ourselves to reach a challenging goal. It felt great! Once again, I couldn't hurry. It was such a beautiful spot, the views were again somewhat different due to the perspective change, it was warm and sunny, and I was one happy guy. :D

Although I was tired, and getting a little footsore, the walk back to Liberty ( I should say UP to Liberty) didn't seem bad at all. After I reached my gear and reloaded it was time for the easy part--walking downhill! I left the Franconia Ridge trail junction around six and was down to the snowmobile/bike trail by 7:30. Then was the part I had refused to think about: the slog up that wide, flat and now dark path to the Lafayette parking lot. By this time I was TIRED! I found myself hoping that a snowmobile would come along and give me a ride (and of course I amused myself by trying to figure out if that would "void" my accomplishment because I didn't go all the way on foot! :rolleyes:). I didn't have to confront that moral dilemma, because I didn't see anyone or anything for the entire slog.

In the whole day I saw about 11 people, which is a pretty low number for that beautiful and popular ridge. Everyone was very friendly and very happy to be there on such a day. I enjoyed seeing them and greeting them briefly, but I also enjoyed my "alone time", going at my own pace without holding anyone up, and seeing, breathing, feeling, hearing, smelling and even tasting (fir needles for dessert, anyone?) one of the best hikes I've ever taken.

Oh, and I checked four more winter peaks off my list. :rolleyes:

Photos are here.

Sounds like a fantastic day, Peter! I am very jealous...

Very nice trip report and pictures Townie! So did the song keep hitting replay all the way down the ridge? If so I'm sure its a great one! To me that ridge almost seems to be life-defining or maybe therapeutic on solo hikes. Enjoyed your perspective and persistence!;)

Way to go Townie!

;)

Nice report, I will sneak a look at the pix at work.
(I love dial up!) :rolleyes:

Peter, I suspect that you must've had a smile on your face all day that was the equal of the one you wore on President's Day when we met briefly on Mount Washington, at the end of the Crawford Path! Very fine pictures and a terrific four-bagger to finish out the winter season. Well-done.

Brilliant, Peter! The perfect remedy for cathedral fatigue, as it were, is to do what the rest of us were likely doing on Tuesday.... love the photos, it was clearly an epic day.