Franconia Ridge Traverse. We're hooked!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Ridgerunner

Reaction score
This was our second day in the Whites. (We made the 7 hour drive Friday, then climbed Cannon before checking into our motel in Twin Mtn.)

We met our friend Amy at Lincoln Woods, where we left our car, then headed over to the Lafayette parking area. Started up the Old Bridle Path under low clouds. The forecast was encouraging, but the higher we climbed, the nastier it got. Strong, gusty winds, some very light rain, and no views. The path to the hut was not as challenging as I thought it would be. We were glad to arrive at the hut to get in out of the weather for a few minutes. I changed into a dry shirt and we all put on our rain/wind gear and our pack covers. Just as we were about to leave, the sun miraculously came out and there was Lafayette, looming a 1000 feet above us. (The sun would shine on us for the remainder of the day!!) The climb was exhilarating and challenging...mainly due to the very strong winds. Youza!! Winds on the summit were so strong that I nearly was blown over a couple different times. Although the winds were not successful, I was absolutely blown away by the views. What a spectacular place! The Franconia notch was covered by a thick undercast, and the Pemi wilderness was clear as could be, affording spectacular views.

The hike down the ridge was fabulous; Lincoln, Little Haystack, Liberty, Flume. I was in awe. We descended to Lincoln Woods via the Osseo trail and its many, many steps. So glad we were going down those! At some point not far below the summit of Flume, I was in the lead and I think I must have stirred up a mud wasp nest. I heard Fran say, "Bees!" Then heard Amy say "ouch! Keep moving Fran, they're still after us!" Luckily she only got stung once, and she's not allergic.

After the descent of the steep section, it's just a long, gentle stroll out to the car.

Here are some pics.