Garfield Pond Cut-Off (Abandoned Trail)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
Has anyone hiked this abandoned trail recently? I was interested in determining if the trail can still be followed after last spring's ice storm. The last entry in the White Mountain Lost Trails site reads "(2006): Anon. Blowdowns have made it difficult to discern portions of the path, but one can still follow it." Any current info would be appreciated.

A couple of winters ago I tried to follow it from the Mt Garfield Trail and soon lost it in a big blowdown patch. Might be easier from the other end, though I never got around to trying.

I haven't either but...

...I'd be interested in trying to find it with you. PM me if you'd like some company. GNR

I followed the first 100 yards or so of it last October but my co-hikers didn't want to indulge me more than that. Once found, it was very, very easy to follow (and very tempting to ditch my family, since I had the car key). :D

I've been on it a few times this summer.

There are a few large blowdowns, and the trail is obscured, but one can still follow it. It's easier to follow going from the Garfield Trail to the ridge. Going from the ridge back to the Garfield Trail, there are a few false herd paths on the north side of the pond that lead you away from the Garfield Trail, rather than towards it. I got a little bit "turned around."

Someday I'll learn to trust my compass :rolleyes:

Twice in the last five years

I did it from the Garfield Trail twice, the first time in August 2003, second time in July 2005. The beginning of the trail is deliberately obscured but easy to find if you know where to look into the woods a bit - just above the sharp turn as shown on the topo map (the cut-off is shown on the USGS quad). There are quite a few blowdowns to step over but if you keep your eyes on the treadway below the fallen trees, you should have no problem until you get to the campsite. From there it's less clear where to go although the most obvious route leads to the far side of Garfield Pond (relative to the Garfield Ridge Trail) which is an excellent place to enjoy some quiet/solitude.
From there you go around the pond to the right but I haven't figured out exactly where the last few yards of the trail are - I just find a best route through the last stand of trees and pop out on the Garfield Ridge Trail (so finding it from that side might be a bit of trial and error but if you head for the west side of the pond, you'll pick something up eventually).

The site of the former shelter is opposite the 'near' side of the pond.

I found it easy enough to do that I plan to use it as a loop route over the summit every time I go up the Garfield Trail, depending on my companions (might even try it in winter once) but I'm a crazy 'whacker so my perspective may not square with normal hikers (oxymoron? :D ).