Garmin GPS Software compatibility

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajtiv

Reaction score
I just got a Garmin 76S GPS for my birthday, and wonder what software people use.
Reading some threads it sound like Garmin's mapsource software is not very upto date.
National Geographic has better Topo maps.
The National Geo maps are not downloadable to Garmin.

The questions is how far off is the Garmin software ? 9for the catskills and adirondacks)

Second question how can you get National Geo software to work with Garmin?
Do you just upload routes and waypoint to your GPS if that is the case you are still using an inaccurate Garmin map correct?
Any help would be appreciated
AL

Uploading Maps and Routes

I have the Magellan Map 330, and bought the MapSend Topo software to go with it. The topographic map resolution is lousy, and the peaks don't line up with the tops of the mountains. Checking against what I believe to be a more accurate map at www.topozone.com, it turned out that the Points of Interest (like summits) were accurate on the software, when compared to the topozone maps, and it was just the rest of the maps in the software which was off by several hundred feet. Very reassuring. So my workaround was to pick the coordinates for the waypoints of interest off of topozone.com, plug them into my mapping software, then upload them. Then I used the traditional "map" and "compass" for the real work, if needed.

What good has my GPS been? I have used only to check my progress along the way, and to get a sense of how far (how bloody far) it was to the peak, but since I was on well-worn snowshoe tracks, I was never even a little lost.

And if you want coordinates for Upper Works to Allen, let me know.

-David

If you want anything other than the pre-loaded base maps, you need to get the Garmin software. For topo maps, there are two choices - US Topo 24K and US Topo. Although US Topo covers the entire nation, the US Topo 24K has more detail. The Garmin web site has more information. Check out the online MapSource viewer to see for yourself. It can be found at:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ontheTrail/

I haven't really done any checking for accuracy.

As for the other software packages, there are three that I have used - Delorme Topo USA, National Geographic Topo! and Maptech Terrain Navigator. All three of these can download waypoints and routes to the GPS and can upload waypoints and routes from the GPS - something that can also be done with the MapSource software.

The Delorme software is vector-based and doesn't have as much information. The other two use scanned USGS topographic maps. With a few spot-checks of trails in the White Mountains that have been re-routed in the last 15 years, it appears that Maptech has the more up-to-date maps. Maptech has some demos that can be downloaded.

None of the software is perfect and I find myself wishing that some feature in one would work as well as in the others. I end up using them for different purposes - Delorme for planning bike routes on the local roads and the other two for planning hikes.

---
Steve

Last edited:
Just a note of caution on your GPS.
I have had a Garmin 72 for about a year now and have found it to be a fun toy - that's about it. Since its usefulness depends on satellite signals, the reception is poor if the angle with the sky is acute. This can be caused by nearby mountains or by having a cliffy area rising beside you. Foliage is also a reception killer.
The GPS can be fun on bushwhacks where you can select waypoints at various points of your hike - if the satellite reception is good. These selected waypoints can later be downloaded onto your computer topo map. This way you can see how close you were to your original bushwhack intention.
Good luck and have fun.

I do the same as whitelief, with good success. Be very careful to match the GPS and map datums. That is typically the culprit when finding errors when manually inputing your waypoints.

You can improve reception by carrying the unit in a carrying case near the top of your shoulder strap. Turning off your electronic compass (if your unit has one) will improve battery length.

Good luck - I really enjoy my Garmin eTrek Summit.

MapSource

Having used National Geographic in combination with a Lowrance GPS, I found the Garmin MapSource maps just as good and the definition is excellent on the screen. I bought a GPS map 76 a few weeks ago. Garmin 76 in combination with Garmin MapSource is a much more user friendly tool but I miss some of the more sophisticated feature and extreme precision of the Lowrance. Perrsonnally the biggest drawback of the Garmin is the reception. It is not as good as Lowrance and much slower to lock onto the satellites, the toy has to be in the open to be useful. Lowrance can be kept in a deep pockect (or even in the packsack), used within dense forest cover, etc. it will never looses reception ( in doing so it keeps tracking a path continually and discretlly), it is far of being the case with the Garmin making it not so convenient under below freezing conditions and making one looking pretty silly walking holding the GPS up in front. Gave me a sore back going to Hough and forced me to keep stopping and wait minutes to obtain an accurate reading which I think is very annoying not only for the user but for whoever comes along. For sure the Garmin will be frozen by the time it gets a reading in -25F temperature and so will I.
For tough bushwhack in dense forest I will certainly keep using the Lowrance but can take along the Garmin as it is very light, waterproof and having contour map on the screen is quite fun.

Christine

I have a 76s with an external antenna on the top of my pack. It recieves excellant in all parts of the mountains. I record most all hikes completely and save data for later hikes and to help with all aspects of hiking info.
The antenna is small,velcroed or can be pinned. The gps can go in a pocket to keep warm or where ever.

The topo map's trails are based on old gov. topos and are not upto date. One funtion of saving data,you can compare how the trails have change exactly. Along the ridges and summits most trails are the same. It's below the ridges and summits.that they've been changed over the years.

One guy posted here a trip he did a little while ago using the NG Topo map and where he thought he went he didn't. I did the same trip and had loaded the track into NG and showed it's true self. Neat feature there also.

You can't put any map other than Garmins in there. I don't use the map anyway. I do load tracks into it and waypoints such as all the summits so I can use them to tell which one's I'm looking at for sure and the distance to them. That's kind of neat.

I print out NG Topo maps and bring them with routes on them and in the gps also. I have the amc maps which gives the most up to date trails. I use the Topo to compare with the gps on where I'm exactly act if I have a doubt.

This goes for Garmins' mapsource as well as NG Topo which I've used both of for years.

I feed back info all the time them and I have other programs also I have that I use for marine and hiking,etc.

I have the new 60cs color one order which will be nice also.

If you do a search on this here and at amc's forums on gps you'll find more info and more on my posting of how I use the maps and gps.
The 76S is nice because it gives a vertical trip computer as well as a horizontal one.
Enjoy it. It's worth it's weight in gold. In a blinding squall that is,or when the trails gones south. It's endless what you can do with them besides safety factors.

Jim

Last edited:
Antenna

I don't think that I would want to use an antenna as well, it being, I have been told, the size of computer mouse. Having the WASP option off helps as the unit will only try to lock on the standard satellites making the process much faster.

With the Garmin you can download just the area map that you need, you don't really have to enter any kind of waypoints or route as the MapSource programm has a large amount of data already marked for you that can be selected in seconds: summits, rivers, brooks, etc. Still transferring a drawn or already travelled route makes for faster reference and comparison while hiking.

And I agree that many of the 76 features are very handy and very easy to use, and I am having great fun with it, but reception being the most important part of a GPS, Lowrance is for now number 1. Still the lowrance unit are heavy, more complicated to use and not waterproof. Nothing is perfect, too bad.

Thanks,

Christine

I have to disagree, the Mighty Mouse 2 and the Titan III are a lot smaller than a pc mouse and they recieve alot better than the antenna in standard gps's, do to there gain and ability to use sat's that are lower on the horizon. They are totally waterproof.

Also the wire dia. is very tiny and can be orderd in shorter lengths.

GPSCity.com will have the info on size.

I don't think anything out there is really much if anything better the the 76S. So enjoy the unit. When you learn the ability of it you'll know what I mean.

I did alot of research in extennal antennas under tree cover as well as other uses and found this to be a fact. The WAAS data even if lost for a while will still correct the signal so I never bother to turn it off since it will pick up again as soon as it has a chance.

And as one who has hiked with different types of gps's, with or without these antennas I can tell you this in fact is true in all good faith.

I've tried to hang it here there,sticking up, holding it,etc. Nothing compares to these micro antennas.

Last edited:
Micro Antenna

I will certainly look for them on the Web (there are not available in Montreal) and have one shipped to my E'Town address.

Thanks for the info Capt.

Christine

o.k. They have pic's of them next to a quarter to give you an idea of their small size

If you look close at my avitar I have one on the very top of my pack..You'll have to look real close.

Did you see the new BackPacker Magazine out? They are claiming now to be the " Worlds First GPS-ENABLED Magazine"

For what it's worth the USCG is heading a 5 member team including the D.O.T. for USA to install dual coverage correction for the entire U.S. and territories. That means no matter where you are anywhere you'll have constant corrections and accuracy.
The stations are being built as we speak and a lot are up and running.
Also they are developeing a super accurate correction with limited area coverage that will give accuracy within a foot

They might use that for guideing cars down freeway's for one. The sky is the limit's. Go Gov..

Some post's huh? I've got a lot of wind in my sail's.

Capt.

If you go to www.gpsinformation.net they will have an complete review on your unit and links to all the info on maps,which units hae the best resolution,etc.

They might use that for guideing cars down freeway's for one. The sky is the limit's. Go Gov.

Last edited:
Antenna

Well even with my glasses on I can't see it but I believe you!

As for the website I have know of it for quite a while, but you have to remember that there is so much comment one can post on the web witout getting into trouble with the manufacturer.

Christine

I'm just teaseing. It's there but barely visable. I sewed a velcro patch on top with an industrial machine, but one guy said he wire tied a washer and use the magnetic base of it to stick it to it.

What ever get's you though the nite.

The gps is nice in so many ways. One guy tied it to his dog to see where he goes on his rounds.

Good to mark special things on the trails to send to a friend or for another time. You can email the info. and load it into any gps anywhere.

Capt.

Well thanks Christine for the Mapsource review and Capt for the info on external antennas. I was told they really help from a salesman ( of course I thought it was a salesman) really helping with signal capture but figured I would take the unit out on a trail and see how it performs. With looking at them it looks like a pretty good accessory Sounds like you had a fair bit of testing. Can you tell me which you use, Mighty mouse 2?
Thanks to everone else for their thoughts and comments.
I love new toys to play with.

MightyMouse II is a good one as well as the TitanIII. WWW.gpscity.com.[/url They work go...nvert them to work in your Garmin. Good Luck

Last edited:
I have found that the orientation of my GPSMAP 76 is important. I bought a cellphone "holster" to hold the GPS on my belt but found that my body shielded the signal a lot. Then I got a couple of small velcro straps and mounted the holster vertically on the shoulder strap of my daypack. Now it points up, it is not shielded, and works great, especially in winter. Fellow hikers (with their GPS in their packs) have been amazed that mine is working, even in thick spruce!

On external antennas, you should take a look at Ebay (search on Garmin GPS antenna) and you will see them priced around $20. I bought one from a vendor called "GPSGeek". It is much stronger than the built-in antenna and has a magnet in the bottom for use in the car.

Joe