Geneva puts the final pin in her map, Owls Head on 5/12!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Well, it took me almost exactly 4 years to get her there, but Geneva has now hiked to all 48 NH 4K peaks!

The hike was wickedly fun, and had all the things a great hike to Owls Head should have, bugs, mud, sketchy water crossings, scratches, blood and lots of laughs! The weather was perfect for hiking somewhere with spectacular views, and I still managed to get people to hike to Owls Head with us! Actually, the views from the slide were fantastic, and the breezes, although almost knocking us all over at times, were a welcome relief to the warm sunshine. Owen even managed to find a few really nice views from the ridge. Seeing a grouse nest in an old rotting tree stump with at least ten eggs was a rare treat. Geneva got a new BFF, the squeaky Monkey ~ who will most likely be a welcome companion on her future hikes.

She was a tired little girl after the hike and was more than happy to hop into the car and take a nap. She even asked to crawl into the tent immediately after getting a lot of hugs and pats of congratulations and making the rounds for treats at the campground. A fine end to her day!

So, what next, she has hiked all but 13 in the winter, and maybe that will be something she finishes up someday, who knows. Or perhaps she can check off the ‘doggy 67’, substituting Sandwich, Snow (Chain of Ponds) and Pico for Baxter, Hamlin and North Brother? Or maybe I can train her to help more with trail work, or at the very least stop dragging sticks back onto the trail after I have thrown them to the side!

Looking at her Hiking list, her first 4K was Whiteface on 5/17/2008 at the ripe old age of 6 months. I actually remember that hike quite well. And I am sure I will remember this hike for a long time as well! We have been fortunate to hike with so many wonderful friends over the few years I have had her, and everyone has been so gracious and kind to her. She is one amazing little doggy, and I am a very lucky human to have found such a great little hiking buddy!

Thanks so much to Kim, Hui Yeng, Stev-o, Mark, Natalie and Owen for making it such a memorable day! Geneva was so spoiled and it was plain to see she was soaking up every second of it!

Wow...strong work Geneva! :) Congratulations.

Congrats to the pup!

(and of course to her human-mom as well for getting her to all those peaks :) )

A big congratulations to Geneva. :):):) I'm sorry we missed you. The only thing I can think of is that we must have been going down the Brutus whack as you came up the slide. That is if you did do it on 5/12 and not 5/13.

Also make sure you post it when she finishes her winter 48 and we'll get her added to the list. http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...e-finishers&highlight=canine+winter+finishers.

PS here's a link to our trip that day: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?44978-Owl-s-Head-5-12

Last edited:
Congrats!

Congratulations, Geneva! Mia and I saw you guys on the trail (Mia's the yellow dog with the red pack). Mia would've definitely shared a summit cookie if we knew it was #48! (Although they sort of turned into biscuit soup after the last brook crossing...).

We also saw Ed'n Lauky on the slide, but it was a precarious perch and not a great spot for socializing... Quite the Dog Day on Owl's Head!

Congratulations again to Geneva!!! She's an awesome trail doggy and it's a pleasure to share the trails with you two.

I have to admit - I was a little disappointed when it looked like we'd be going with plan B and hiking Franconia instead of Owl's Head. Owl's Head is always an adventure - an adventure that's fun to share with a group of friends. I'm glad you decided to get that last pin for Geneva.

I'll post my pictures once I download them.

Christine,
Remember when we met you both along with Tom and Atticus at the Common Man when Geneva was a pup? Congratulations, Geneva! Many happy hikes in the future....

Donna:)

Thanks all!

Owen, it really was nice to meet you, Mark and Natalie, hope we can meet up for a few more hikes soon.

It was a doggy day out there wasn't it, Laukey, Mia and Ginger along with Geneva!
Ginger was part of a group of about 20 or so folks who passed by between the slide and the summit.

MikeB, you and Mia didn't look like you had any issues with the crossings, you seemed to just hop across!

Geneva was plenty spoiled on the hike, just the way she likes it!

Time to start planning out her next adventure!

:)

Congratulations to Geneva! She was the star of the day for sure and we're so glad that we got to share her finish with her (and a fun hike with such a great group) to finally knock Owl's Head off our list. I'll be posting my trip report shortly with a ton of pictures of the new 48 finisher!

Ed - we were there on Saturday, same as you. I saw your post on NETC and couldn't figure out how we'd missed you. You must be right about us crossing on the slide and the bushwhack. Sorry we missed you.

Woohoo! What a fun hike with fun group of people, most of all, what a pleasure to have joined you and Geneva on her finish! Well done!

I still remembered on our winter finish few months ago, because we're running behind schedule and missed meeting up with you and Geneva on Mt Washington. By the time we descending the slushy and demoralizing Crawford Path more than an hour after you and Geneva, I saw Geneva's paw prints here and there along the trail, that put a huge smile on my face. Not sure why, just did.

Fun hike. Here are my pictures from the hike.
http://www.huiyengchang.com/hike/12owlshead2/