Getting Started with Winter Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trial and Error

Most of what you will learn will come from going out doing it and seeing what works and what does not. Like other have suggested "Freedom of the Hills" is a great book, but somthing I picked up lately and has some great advise as far as eating and clothing options is Mark Twights Extreme Alpinism. While alot of the book is far more extreme than anything I do, I like to apply some of his thoughts and theories to what I do.

As far as advise, learn your clothing system quickly. That is one of the quickest things to ruin a trip is if you are either too hot with too many layers, or freezing from not enough. Nothing is worse than going out on a subzero day with every article of clothing you own and sweating your a$$ off then stripping down only to freeze on your sweat soaked fleece.

Get Ready for THIS Winter

:cool:
As Glenn said, for the cost of the AMC Winter series, that gets you geared up for THIS Winter, it's really a bargain. Read all you can on your own, but
in the company of the 3 that are the instructors of this course, you'll learn a ton, and you'll have a really - really good time in the process.

sapblatt said:
The recent VFTT Rainier crew was largely self taught by themselves and other hikers who were able to teach them.
A minor correction to that. All of us did have some formal training, ranging from full week sessions on Mt Baker to a one day glacier training class. All of us also benefited from the experience and assistance of members of VFTT both in their experience and in hands on training. All of this proved invaluable, and its importance should never be underplayed. Collectively, each of us had many winter peaks, hikes and bag nights behind us before we even considered this trip. It was all worth it, and I can't wait for more winter hiking, camping and future western peaks!

Most winter hiking is not that different than any other hiking: it's just colder with less leaves and better views :D

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great advice!

WoW. ~25 replies in a day. Thanks for all the valuable advice. I ordered the "freedom of the hills" book and will sign up for the AMC course (probably the NH one).
This forum is indeed a valuable resource. It's nice to see so many helpful people. Hope to see some of you guys on the winter trails soon!

Well, I guess my experience is a little different from what I've read here.

I started with playing outside at -30 or so when I was a little kid. Now THAT will get you started knowing about winter! :D

My first winter mountain trips were in the Bigelows, with wool clothing, Sorel boots and wood-and-rawhide snowshoes. We used double bagging systems to sleep, which worked very well. Quickly learned that a tent is warmer than a lean-to, and the best way to start a Svea stove in winter is to douse it with gas, step back and whoosh! :eek:

Funny thing is that even with plenty of experience like that I believed you had to have some special, Himalaya-type training to climb Katahdin in the winter. Then a friend invited me along on a winter trip. Rented ice axe, plastics and crampons and a tow sled. Had a blast! (no, this doesn't refer to the stove)

Later that spring I happened upon a ridiculous sale at Bean's and got my own boots, crampons and axe for an obscenely low price. After that it was only a matter of finding time to get away into the mountains, whether with VFTT folks, other friends or alone. There's a peace out there that you don't find at any other time of year.

Learned by doing. Friends kept talking about winter hiking and I'd say "winter is for snowshoeing, skiing, sledding and skating"
Finally I went up Tumbledown one winter in my regular hiking boots. I was the only person there, broke trail the whole way, had a great time...just stuck my head over the top long enough to take a picture cause it was so windy. When I next talked with my friends I said, "hey I thought you said winter hiking was all the rage, I was on Tumbeldown all by myself" I had to laugh when they said, "well it was only 19 degrees out" and I said "yeah, well it is winter ya know!"
haha...

Grew up in cold weather like Mr Townie did (had the same notion about BSP in winter as he did) no biggee...been hiking/camping in much colder than 19 above since then.

Took me awhile to get what this new fancy snowshoe rage was all about as well...now I never use my wooden ones. And I LOVE MY CRAMPONS!
:eek:

I don't do the technical stuff though...

The last two post by the Mainers had me thinking. How many grew up with the old wooden snowshoes?
I see these things for sale in antique stores now. How many would take an outing with these for old time sake, dressed of course in your green Johnson Mill wool pants?

Puck said:
The last two post by the Mainers had me thinking. How many grew up with the old wooden snowshoes?
I see these things for sale in antique stores now. How many would take an outing with these for old time sake, dressed of course in your green Johnson Mill wool pants?

I still have an old pair up in the attic, they're about 4 feet long and I can't imagine wearing them up any trail in the Whites....great for fields and deep snow though.

Here are my loose thoughts, most of repeats of what has already been said before....

READING - Freedom of the Hills is an excellent book but don't read it cover to cover (yet). There is a lot in it that you shouldn't be using at this point, like anything to do with ropes. The AMC book "Winter Camping" by Stephen Gorman is a nice book and the one I generally refer people to. Note, Gorman's approach is markedly different especially regarding long winter trips. Another book with good basics in it is "Mike and Allen's Really Cool Backcountry Skiing Book". And finally, it is worth re-reading "The Complete Walker" with an eye towards the cold weather information. Finally, you might look in your local library for one of Chris Townsend's books. He's an excellent writer although the brands he mentions might be foreign to you (he's a Brit).

USE CAUTION - Summer hiking is just walking only in the woods. Winter hiking can kill you. I don't want to deal in mellowdrama needlessly, but it does bear mentioning. For starting, I would avoid making trips in temps below 0f, trips that go above treeline and I would stick to well travelled routes. Not sure what routes are well travelled? This is half the fun of winter hiking. Planning and research, which includes posting here!

STAY OFF OF AVALANCHE TERRAIN - Most wooded terrain in New England is free of avalanches but not all of it. Stay well away from any of the ravines in the Presidentials and away from any open slopes and slide paths.

ADJUST YOUR CLOCK AND EXPECTATIONS - You don't have anywhere near as much day light in the winter. Adjust expectations downward.

START SLOW - It is hard to conceive how slow progress can be on snow. Adjust expectations downward. Honestly, everything is harder in the snow. It's harder to tie your boots. Harder to blow your nose. Harder to sit and eat. Reasonable goals for starting out should much more be focused on just being in the woods in the cold and less on distances and objectives. Don't worry about that pond or summit for now.

TOOLS OF THE TRADE - You will eventually need/want more tools for walking. Most folks end up with at least one of the following: crampons, snowshoes, skis. There is much disagreement with which is best. IMO, for most up/down trail hiking in the Whites, light 10-point treking crampons that can be strapped on to about any kind of boot is the best investment. As for snowshoes, I just can't understand why anybody would use them instead of skis!!

As for snowshoes, I just can't understand why anybody would use them instead of skis!!

I guess I cannot figure out how ski's can be good for tight steep uphill terrain? Do you use backcountry skis or cross country?

Dave.M offers good advice as do others. I'd chime in with the experience and read group. Save your money for the gear you will need buy or the beer needed to borrow gear.

Spend some time looking at www.chauvinguides.com, it has useful info such as equipement lists. Note that steep ice tools, helmet and harnesses are for the more technical winter climbing activities and are not necessary for mere winter hiking.

Experience: hike with friends who have good experience, VFTT groups and mountain club groups. In know that here in Vermont, the GMC does regular group winter hikes both in and outside of Vermont. I'm sure the AMC and ADK do the same. What Dave says about avoiding below 0F days, at least early, is good advice. It's not that you can't enjoy those days, but the margin for error is much smaller. Always carry a headlamp (i.e. Petzl Tikka) with fresh batteries. It allows you to lengthen your days and if something does cause your trip to take longer than expected it can be a big help. As long as you are warm, hydrated and well fed, darkness usually is a minor obstacle at worst.

Reading: Others have mentioned good books. I'd also suggest reading books such as Laura and Guy Waterman's "A Fine Kind of Madness" and some of their other books and Nick Howe's "Not Without Peril." Not only are these books entertaining, but you can learn a lot from other's mistakes. Even if some of those mistakes were made a hundred years ago.

Continue to ask questions.

dave.m said:
Here are my loose thoughts, most of repeats of what has already been said before....

As for snowshoes, I just can't understand why anybody would use them instead of skis!!
:confused: That comment is either naive, pompous or tongue-in-cheek, I'm not sure which.

Crampons and snowshoes on medium to heavy weight hiking boots are the way most people get started. I've done plenty of downhill and cross-country skiing but have not bought Randonee equipment because I am MUCH more comfortable in snowshoes or crampons with a 35 -45 lb pack on trails in snow, especially when by myself. I'll sometimes hike in carrying skis and then explore on them after I unload, but I don't feel skis are a viable substitute for snowshoes in most situations.

Last edited:
Chip said:
...but I don't feel skis are a viable substitute for snowshoes in most situations.

My guess is that the comment was made somewhat with tongue in cheek, but Dave.M can say for sure. It really is, obviously, a personal choice. Some feel more comfortable in snowshoes. Others, such as myself, would much rather be on skis. Obviously, there are situations were one has the advantage over the other, but I must say, I've enjoyed ripping down untracked, steep narrow hiking trails in the 'dacks.

winter hiking

I think you should try a couple of short winter trips with some friends or a club, just to see if this is for you. the gear that is required for safe winter travel can be expensive but thats the way it is in any sport, but you need quality gear for extened periods of time in the backcountry.then when you see how much fun it is and you want to try something a little more advanced, take a basic self rescue course and your confidence and skill level will determine were and when you should attemp overnight trips. pre-planing makes or brakes a trip so spend some time doing the research for the area you plan on doing your trip. REMEMBER leave a detailed Itineary with someone who cares !!!!. :)

I'm a klutz, and have never mastered the stopping or turning on cross country skis. However, I believe I have mastered the art of falling down.
:D

So I choose skis or snowshoes depending on a bunch of things - terrain, what's everybody else using, my comfort level...

It's all good! :)

Last edited:
Chip said:
:confused: That comment is either naive, pompous or tongue-in-cheek, I'm not sure which.

I'm leaning towards naive but heck, I can do pompous too if called on!! ;^)

The best quote I've seen if from a DOC publication from the 30's which noted, "Snowshoeing is the prose of winter travel but skiing is the poetry." So yes, Chip, the comment was tongue-in-cheek. But seriously, doesn't snowshoeing just end up being a waste of perfectly good ski time?

chip said:
Crampons and snowshoes on medium to heavy weight hiking boots are the way most people get started. I've done plenty of downhill and cross-country skiing but have not bought Randonee equipment because I am MUCH more comfortable in snowshoes or crampons with a 35 -45 lb pack on trails in snow, especially when by myself. I'll sometimes hike in carrying skis and then explore on them after I unload, but I don't feel skis are a viable substitute for snowshoes in most situations.

Well, our definitions of 'most' might differ. As I said in my original post, I think crampons are far and away the most useful investment for folks starting out. Beginners should be sticking to well travelled trails and thats' where they are going to need crampons more than anything to deal with booted out trails, packed snow and slippery conditions.

I no longer feel that snowshoes are trivial and obvious things for beginners to pick up. Yes, they don't slip and slide like skis do, but they require a significant amount of time to learn how to use and can be just as clumsy as skis for non-skiers to use. Add to this the fact that snowshoeing is unrepentantly hard work in anything but ideal conditions.

Now, there *are* places where snowshoes are better than skis for forward travel. I'm thinking here of steep untracked snow in super tight woods like thick balsam. But generally, I can ski through that stuff about as easy as I could go with snowshoes in many cases. Only the steepest and ledgiest of places would I prefer the shoes. Note, I consider that kind of terrain the place for more experienced winter hikers though.

As for general snow camping below treeline in NH, man, I'll take skis over snowshoes pretty much anywhere.

Fair enough !
My comments were geared more toward the original question - "Getting started...", he could get all the winter gear he needs or a nice back-country ski set-up.

dave.m said:
Now, there *are* places where snowshoes are better than skis for forward travel. I'm thinking here of steep untracked snow in super tight woods like thick balsam. But generally, I can ski through that stuff about as easy as I could go with snowshoes in many cases. Only the steepest and ledgiest of places would I prefer the shoes. Note, I consider that kind of terrain the place for more experienced winter hikers though.

As for general snow camping below treeline in NH, man, I'll take skis over snowshoes pretty much anywhere.
Oh Man, I have to learn how to ski. How long does it take to learn how to ski?

-Dr. Wu

dave.m said:
, I think crampons are far and away the most useful investment for folks starting out. Beginners should be sticking to well travelled trails and thats' where they are going to need crampons more than anything to deal with booted out trails, packed snow and slippery conditions.

Dave, you make a good point about crampons. I might add, it is impossible to rent crampons. Skis and snowshoes can be rented in numerous places. so for a beginer buy the crampons and rent the rest if you need an inexpensive start

Puck said:
How many would take an outing with these for old time sake, dressed of course in your green Johnson Mill wool pants?

With the red and black plaid wool shirt, the home-knitted wool socks (which also work well in plastics!), Sorels, suspenders and no hat???

Count me in! :D