Giant Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie

Reaction score
Dont have any of my maps/guide books here at work. Have never hiked Giant and looking to possibly take a few people over there instead of hiking another VT peak. What are the long/short hike options (or a link to other posts? i did a search but found no good posts)
just trying to see if they will be able to do it as they are all fairly new to hiking and not sure of ability levels. Also up for other suggestions, like to stay close to the highway as we are crossing the lake from VT.
Thanks.

Last edited:
mookie said:
Dont have any of my maps/guide books here at work. Have never hiked Giant and looking to possibly take a few people over there instead of hiking another VT peak. What are the long/short hike options (or a link to other posts? i did a search but found no good posts)
just trying to see if they will be able to do it as they are all fairly new to hiking and not sure of ability levels. Also up for other suggestions, like to stay close to the highway as we are crossing the lake from VT.
Thanks.

Mookie -

There are at least three ways I know of ..the longer but more scenic Roaring Brook Trail or the direct Ridge Trail (aka Vander Scott) coming in from the Keene side. I can tell you that the Ridge Trail is little over three miles to the summit, with just over 3000' of gain. The other option is to start in New Russia and come in over Rocky Peak Ridge...if you have two cars you can spot one at the Ridge trailhead. This would be a good way, since there is a nice pond, the Giant's Washbowl, along the Ridge trail that is worth seeing, as well as the views down to Chapel Pond.

There should be some trail reports over at ADKHighPeaks.com forum...

ridge trail

thanks for the info. i didnt know ridge trail was that short. they can handle 3 miles with 3k of elevation im sure! now just got to get them to commit to crossing the pond!

mookie said:
thanks for the info. i didnt know ridge trail was that short. they can handle 3 miles with 3k of elevation im sure! now just got to get them to commit to crossing the pond!

Either way you go you should add in Rocky - I missed it when I did Giant in February (too much snow slowed us down)...but it's supposed to be a nice add-on. It's funny, I see pics of Giant now in the summer and don't even recognize it from when I did it in winter. I'd really like to go back...

For what it's worth, the first "big" mountain I ever hiked up - actually the first real hike ever, was up to the summit of Giant Mountain. I made it just fine, even though I was so sore I couldn't really move the next day. :rolleyes:

While Giant was my first hike, many years ago, I think I was 11 or 12, the parents on the trip took a beating not any of them being a hiker at all. It is a great hike offering views to the West of the other Adirondack High Peaks as well as some views to the East of the Greens and Lake Champlain, but it is not what I would call a binger hike. If you hike it from Rt 73 near Chapel Pond, If my memory serves me correct its something like 3 miles to the top and close to 3,000 ft of elevation gain, its all up and then all down. I guess I’m just cautioning you if you have any non-hikers or someone who is not real active, they may be a little discouraged by the end of the day.

By far the easiest of the 46ers and most popular hike in my opinion is Cascade and Porter. Again, if my memory serves me correct its something like 2.5 miles to the top and close to 2,000 ft of elevation gain to Cascade. Porter is only another ½ mile and few 100 more feet of gain. On weekend day you'll have anywhere from 30-40 people maybe more hiking them.

giant

I did this one from Rt. 73 across from chapel pond area. I didnt think it was that hard and great views on the way up from the rock slabs. Like winterwarlock i too missed rocky ridge due to ice in which after that i bought katahoolas...never going to miss another one when im that close.. Enjoy this one... :D

Hey moo, here is a report from Marc:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17270&highlight=giant

We went up from Rt. 73 with very nice views along the way. After Giant we went over to Rocky Peak, I remembered few sections of the trail was eroded and muddy. One particular section was quite steep and muddy, kinda like hiking on snow, the mud gave way from under your feet. That was my first experience of hiking on muddy steep trail. But wasn't bad at all in general. Nice day hike with great views!