Glen Boulder and Boott Spur Trail beta

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyF

Reaction score
I am thinking of going up Glen Boulder Trail and down Boott Spur Trail. I was wondering if anyone else has hiked these this winter or should I expect completely unbroken trail.

It may be of minor help, but last weekend we did Rocky Branch just a tad to the south. The snow was a thick, firm crust that, even when stepping off trail, held weight plenty good. We did have a little bit rougher going in the more shaded parts at higher elevation, but overall with or without snowshoes we had no problems. If the trail conditions are the same, even with only a vaugely packed trail I wouls suspect you should have few problems.

Brian

glen boulder/boot spur

i want to hike that next weekend so can you let me know if you do it and how it was? i did the bowl this monday and it was pretty perfect conditions. no ice, about 6 inches of snow to dig your snow shoes/crampons in. wonder if glen boulder will be same way as it is all exposed. came down lion's head and it was not icy at all. not sure what another week of weather has done to it though. but i'm imagining boot spur would be about the same conditions as lion's head since it is in the woods too.

I just did Boott Spur yesterday morning. Well packed out, but a few deep postholes along the way. I hiked pre-dawn, below freezing, and got by with crampons.

The biggest problem is that the snow is VERY deep along the trail, putting the trail tunnel at waist to chest level. I spent alot of the time raking my face through the tree branches...

Enjoy!

Trail conditions reported here.

I decided to go down Boott Spur Link rather than continue on Boott Spur all the way. I figured there would be lots of pushing through branches and had enough of that. Sounds like from w7xman that I predicted correctly.

Glen Boulder is not all exposed. It is in the trees until just below the boulder. Past the boulder it climbs to a flatter spot then goes back into the trees before it comes out again before Slide Peak. Around the boulder had ice in patches.

The trail was a little hard to follow in certain spots but with clear visibility you can see where you need to go. I went off trail at a few points but easily rejoined the trail.