GMC Hiking with Dog Video Series

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracyH

Reaction score
I know dogs on the trail is a hot topic and as one who spends the majority of my hiking time with my dog I have always tried to respect my fellow hikers by making sure my dog is a polite canine hiker. I have just discovered a great series produced by the Green Mountain Club that covers the basics of helping our dog's to become true canine trail ambassadors.

http://youtu.be/OTcBRWMNw40

Steve and I happened to be out hiking Spruce Mountain in Vermont on one of the days they were filming part of this series last year. We make a very brief cameo appearance in Part 1 just past the 4 minute mark for about 10 seconds.

That was pretty cool. I'm so glad they addressed the issue of encountering other hikers who may be afraid of dogs. I am absolutely terrified of dogs and the presence of a dog bounding toward me on a trail is enough to make me literally pass out cold. I think it's great that they reminded dog owners that such people exist. Please note that I don't dislike dogs! I have met and happily petted many of the VFTT dogs, including Terra, Brutus, Duffy, Atticus, Emma, and many others. I have a bona fide irrational fear of dogs. I have had therapy, where I can allow a small dog to sit on my lap while I pet it, and as I've said, I can pet a dog whose owners are nearby like the VFTT dogs. Those controlled encounters are far different than that of an unknown dog running toward me or invading my personal space while I am in the middle of nowhere on a trail. Dogs sense my acute fear and it drives even the most docile dog to react. They will bark at me with their hackles up and yes, I have been bitten more than once. Most dog owners remark that they have never seen their dog react so negatively to anyone before. I know it's not the dog's fault, I just give off a vibe that dogs sense and react to. I'm like a lightning rod for dog bites. Sorry! I do try to stay off trails that are popular because I may encounter dogs there. If any dog owners have suggestions as to how I can best cope with my situation on the trails, I'd love to hear them.

That sounds like some good advice in the link. I'm not sure that a dog would respect me when its alpha owner was nearby, however trying to project an air of calmness and confidence is a good idea.

A friend who trains working Border Collies has suggested that I carry pepper spray- not to actually use it, but to see if the ready availability of pepper spray changes my body language or whatever it is in me that triggers an otherwise docile dog to behave aggressively around me.

I do recognize that this is a weird problem to have, but it has all but ended my hiking. FWIW, I worked for the Humane Society for nearly ten years and it was here that my fear of dogs was solidified.

Thanks for posting this link. I'm always up for learning new tips. I have always been amazed at how many "Thank you"s I get just by stopping with Marlie and putting a finger under her collar when other hikers pass.

wardsgirl, as a dog owner I am so, so sorry that other owners have put you in that position. No matter how friendly we think our dogs are, it's not ok to let them run up to people they don't know, and it's not ok to have them off-leash if they won't come back when called.

As for coping with these interactions on the trails (or anywhere else), I wouldn't get hung up on the idea of gaining the dog's "respect" or who's "alpha." I do think the dogs are responding to your fear, but I think what's happening is that your (involuntary) fear response is making them fearful. (most of what we humans see as aggression in dogs is really fear-based, and much of what we tend to do to try and "make friends" is actually very confrontation on dog-speak) So yes, try to remain calm, but focus on that and not on trying to "communicate leadership" - remind yourself to breathe, avoid eye contact, keep your arms still. Yawning might help, believe it or not - it's a very common signal dogs use with each other to show they're not a threat and not looking for trouble.

I found this in a blog by Dr. Sophia Yin - it's aimed at dog/jogger interactions but it might be helpful:'

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/why_runners_steer_clear_of_dogs
Now, if you are attacked or charged by a dog, stand stationary with your arms pulled in to your body and avoid staring at the dog. Once the dog has calmed down you can back away slowly. Avoid turning your back because fearful dogs tend to bite when your back is turned..... In all cases avoid screaming and flailing like wounded prey. Realistically, if you just stand still and act like you're not afraid you generally won't be bitten.

Turid Ruugas has some great material on how dogs communicate, and specifically on how as humans we can de-escalate situations with dogs - I'll try to find some of it online.

(not that it should have to be up to you to have to remedy the situation :( )

Sorry! I do try to stay off trails that are popular because I may encounter dogs there. If any dog owners have suggestions as to how I can best cope with my situation on the trails, I'd love to hear them.

As a dog owner, I have a hard time with someone who avoids trails because of the possibilities of a dog being on that trail. It is a very commendable act, but one I feel that should never be. You shouldn't have to change plans or take alternative trails just because a dog might be on that trail.

Personally, I think that EVERYONE who owns a dog should understand the most important rule of dog ownership:

When you take your dog out of the house, a dog owners mental approach should be, every person I meet outside of my house either hates dogs or is deathly afraid of dogs. If you train the dog to respect others and not approach strangers then you have succeeded! Fortunately, Marley has learned, whether we are walking on a sidewalk downtown (Bethlehem has such an enormous downtown) or on a trail, he ALWAYS steps aside and waits for the people to pass by. I have been on numerous trails where hikers passed by and never even knew a dog was with me. I have been a little more conscious of this lately by calling the dog right after they pass by to let them know that not ALL dogs are bad ones.

If you any of you believe in fairy tales, legends or myths, I can tell you first hand that it is true that a dog can pick his owner. Marley picked ME!!!! When we went to look at the possibility of getting a puppy from this litter, Marley refused to let me even think about any of the other puppies. He certainly was not my first or second choice and now we are inseparable.

Best dog ever!!!!

Thanks for the great advice. I am definitely going to try that yawning suggestion.

I am sure that everything would be fine if I ran into anyone from here with their dogs in the woods.

Oddly enough, I ran into Sabrina, Michael and company a few years ago, and although the dogs were very interested in me, I was not afraid.

I think it has to do with the idea that I 'know' Sabrina and family wouldn't let anything happen to me.

In contrast, last year, three golden retrievers accosted me on Zealand Trail. They surrounded me and were growling, barking, and nudging at me with their noses. Their owner was nowhere in sight. I nearly passed out from fear. Fortunately, I had trekking poles so I could try to ward them off. When their owner finally appeared, he yelled at me for raising a pole to his dog. I was quite shaken by the event, which led me to give up maintaining the part of the Twinway that I had maintained for more than a decade. It would be a relief if dog owners would have the same attitude as bandana4me :"a dog owners mental approach should be, every person I meet outside of my house either hates dogs or is deathly afraid of dogs", but many do not. It helps tremendously for me to be able to share what I see as a dog's reaction to someone with acute fear of dogs.

I do try to stay off trails that are popular because I may encounter dogs there. If any dog owners have suggestions as to how I can best cope with my situation on the trails, I'd love to hear them.

Yikes, I do not think anyone should avoid trails because of dogs, although I do understand your rational. I have been jumped on by loose dogs, my dogs have been attacked by loose dogs and I have definitely let their owners know that their dogs are not behaving appropriately. It upsets me to think that there are folks out there who just do not respect other hikers enough to manage their dogs properly. It always amazes me that something so simple as asking my dog to sit at the side of the trail so people can pass receives so many positive comments- I feel that should be the norm not something unusual.

Sophia Yin and Turid Rugass are great resources. Another good one, although geared towards kids, is http://doggonesafe.com

Since getting my own puppy, I have learned to ask other dogs to sit before giving them any attention. Mine is starting to grasp this concept, but is still quite easily excited into jumping up on people... So while the onus does fall entirely on the owner, some people are definitely prone to provoking a reaction (most unknowingly.)

Tim

So while the onus does fall entirely on the owner, some people are definitely prone to provoking a reaction (most unknowingly.)

Tim

Exactly.

Marley, does NOT like to patted on the top of his head. I can NOT even pat the top of his head. When people call Marley over, either with or without my permission, I tell them "Please do not try to pat the top of his head". First thing they do is try to pat his head, and when Marley squirms and twists away, they look at me funny. Then I repeat my statement (which I shouldn't have to) and they call Marley over and (you guessed it ) they go right back for the top of the head. Can be frustrating.

My point is:

If you do not know the dog, please talk to the owner first, the owner can tell you what the dog likes and dislikes. You do not know what may make the dog respond either positively or negatively. It could be a noise, scent, color or whatever that makes a dog react.

Thanks for the great advice.

In contrast, last year, three golden retrievers accosted me on Zealand Trail. They surrounded me and were growling, barking, and nudging at me with their noses. Their owner was nowhere in sight. I nearly passed out from fear. Fortunately, I had trekking poles so I could try to ward them off. When their owner finally appeared, he yelled at me for raising a pole to his dog. I was quite shaken by the event, which led me to give up maintaining the part of the Twinway that I had maintained for more than a decade. It would be a relief if dog owners would have the same attitude as bandana4me :"a dog owners mental approach should be, every person I meet outside of my house either hates dogs or is deathly afraid of dogs", but many do not. It helps tremendously for me to be able to share what I see as a dog's reaction to someone with acute fear of dogs.

This story is totally unacceptable! I can not believe you put 10+ years in on a project and had to give it up for a dog!

If any dog owners have suggestions as to how I can best cope with my situation on the trails, I'd love to hear them.

Interestingly I have a similar problem, but for a different reason. One dog attracts another and since mine is usually the smaller of the two (or three) I have to be watchful. Just ask Atticus!!! Lauky has been greeted a zillion times and attacked three times by a larger dog. Since when a dog comes running up you can't always be sure of his intentions there are two things I do, plus I will add that Tim's suggestion to order the dog to sit is a good one. He just might do it. :) Also, I plant my poles as a barrier between us and the oncoming dog. I'm not talking about waving them, just planting them in the ground. Dogs do seem to have a natural instinct to avoid polls. Another thing I do is to carry a pocket full of kibbles. I just scatter some on the ground and very often the dogs will scarf it down and that often takes care of the situation. :)

Another thing I do is to carry a pocket full of kibbles. I just scatter some on the ground and very often the dogs will scarf it down and that often takes care of the situation. :)

Ha. When I have a pocket full of kibble, the other dog is more interested in my pocket than my dog ;)

(I imagine scattering squirrels on the ground would be equally effective if not completely practical)

Tim

I can totally see where you would face a similar problem as me with Lauky, Ed.

As for trail maintenance, I just moved across the street to the southern Presies from the Pemi.

Would folks say there are fewer dogs in the Presies than in the Pemi?

I think so.

A question for dog owners who hike with their dogs: what would you do if your (normally docile) dog attacked someone (like me- a lightning bolt for dog bites) in the middle of nowhere? Especially a solo hiker on a trail with few, or no, other hikers? Do you carry first aid supplies in case of a bite? What about your dog's rabies shot info? Can you honestly say that you have never been so inattentive to your dog (like it's out of your sight for a few minutes, off leash, or temporarily missing) that it could have had the opportunity to bite a hiker like me? (Again, I cannot possibly overemphasize how dogs absolutely freak the eff out when they encounter me on the trail!) What would you do, (besides feel horrible about it, which I'm sure you would)? Do you plan for that, insurance-wise or with any special hike preparation?

I'd take my cat hiking, but the threat of what could happen if he bit someone is enough to make me leave him at home.... :D

If any dog owners have suggestions as to how I can best cope with my situation on the trails, I'd love to hear them.

I would suggest some relaxation techniques, and ignoring the dog's prescence, if possible. I understand that may be very difficult for you, given your fear, which no matter if its ever been reinforced or not, doesn't matter because its a very real fear to you. :)

One relaxation technique that helps calm my own fears/situational anxieties (for me, its running in competition -- I get nervous and my skills fall apart), is to gently clench and release my right hand in a slow repetitive motion while taking calming breaths and visualizing the outcome I would like. One of my coach's taught me this and it works! They say it helps you connect with a more grounded part of your brain and focus. Perhaps if you practice this without a dog around, and find it calms you, it may help you exude calm around dogs, which will calm them.

I would avoid trying to assert yourself, its just simply not necessary in 99.99% of the dogs you will encounter, and is more likely to backfire for you. Dogs are masters of identifying authenticity and acutely aware of any shift in intention/body language or any self doubt on your part. Do your best to project disinterest. Any of the calming signals that Turrid Ruggas has studied (yawning, looking away, slowing down your motions) communicate that you mean no harm. Some footage here on this YouTube vid :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj7BWxC6iVs

Dog:dog interactions like Ed experienced IMHO carry very little crossover when it comes to dog:human interactions. There is so much communication going on between dogs *all the time*..situations that appear to "escalate without warning" in our timeframe and our terms are "so ten seconds ago" in the dog's minds :)...I'd go on, but I digress...

I hope this helps! I'm also very relieved that you have had some really positive experiences with some of the dogs in the hiking community :). Every little bit helps! To address your final question, I don't bring any of those things on the trail, although my dogs do wear their rabies tags. What I do and what I feel is more important, is that I prepare them in thier daily lives to be able to cope with things that may take them by surprise by maintaining a strong connection with them, if thier main focus is on me, its easy for me to simply redirect them by stepping away and asking for thier attention. One of my favorite dogisms is "its the connection that leads, not the lead that connects".

Happy trails, Wardsgirl. Hopefully we will see you out there this summer. :) I've got a very sweet and social new pup who would love to help change your mind about dogs. :)

Last edited:
Dog:dog interactions like Ed experienced IMHO carry very little crossover when it comes to dog:human interactions. There is so much communication going on between dogs *all the time*..situations that appear to "escalate without warning" in our timeframe and our terms are "so ten seconds ago" in the dog's minds :)...I'd go on, but I digress...

The pole technique may well work for me because I'm not afraid of the dogs coming at me and I think they know it. But I would maintain that the kibble technique will work with most dogs and if it does it could well help a person develop some self-confidence.

A question for dog owners who hike with their dogs: what would you do if your (normally docile) dog attacked someone (like me- a lightning bolt for dog bites) in the middle of nowhere? Especially a solo hiker on a trail with few, or no, other hikers? Do you carry first aid supplies in case of a bite? What about your dog's rabies shot info? Can you honestly say that you have never been so inattentive to your dog (like it's out of your sight for a few minutes, off leash, or temporarily missing) that it could have had the opportunity to bite a hiker like me? (Again, I cannot possibly overemphasize how dogs absolutely freak the eff out when they encounter me on the trail!) What would you do, (besides feel horrible about it, which I'm sure you would)? Do you plan for that, insurance-wise or with any special hike preparation? :D

To answer your questions I do carry a first aid kit. Lauky is never off lead, his leash is generally in my hand but it is also permanently attached to my waist with a special belt. In Maine you cannot get a dog license without presenting an up to date rabies vaccination certificate so an up to date Maine dog tag is proof that the dog has an up to date vaccination certificate. In Bridgton if you forget to renew your tag the town office calls you up and reminds you. My home owners insurance does cover me for dog bites. The biggest danger with Lauky is that he would lick you on the face,:D but as I previously said, when I see people don't like him I don't let him get that close.

One relaxation technique that helps calm my own fears/situational anxieties (for me, its running in competition -- I get nervous and my skills fall apart), is to gently clench and release my right hand in a slow repetitive motion while taking calming breaths and visualizing the outcome I would like. One of my coach's taught me this and it works! They say it helps you connect with a more grounded part of your brain and focus. Perhaps if you practice this without a dog around, and find it calms you, it may help you exude calm around dogs, which will calm them.

This is brilliant! And so do-able!

Thanks for all your advice! (and for not letting your dogs maul me that day I ran into you in the middle of nowhere!)

This is brilliant! And so do-able!

Thanks for all your advice! (and for not letting your dogs maul me that day I ran into you in the middle of nowhere!)

LOL! No problem, we discourage mauling :)

I think you answered your own question, though. When you saw us, you did not percieve a threat, and the dogs didn't react to you.