Gourmet Hut Trip - Spring 2009 at Mizpah Hut

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
It has been a VERY long time since I last planned any kind of group trip
and this is mostly due to the fact that Brian and I hiked the Appalachian Trail
from Georgia to Maine last year and then promptly got married 2 weeks after our return . . .
so needless to say life has been super busy. It is thus time for me to plan my 2009 Gourmet Hut trip.
It is planned for memorial day weekend.

Here are the details:

Who: First 45 people to respond to my email AND to send me the money.
What: Good food, good friends and loads of fun
When: Saturday May 23 - Monday May 24
Saturday and Sunday nights in the Hut (3 days, 2 nights)
Where: Mizpah Hut in NH
Why: Because hiking is fun and eating is fun and when you combine the two it is FUN^2 !!!
How: Send me an email letting me know you are signing up
Then send me the money. My email is sli74 at hotmail

Money: AMC Members - $85
non-members - $91

Hut cost for 2 nights and food cost for 2 dinners is included above.
The prices for the Huts have gone up as have grocery prices and this is the reason for the increased overall price from my last trip
Food cost covers dinner for both Saturday and Sunday nights.
You are responsible for all your own breakfasts, lunches and snacks.
Hut cost will depend on if you are an AMC member or not.
Your spot is NOT booked till I have your money in my hands, okay?

When I get your email asking to be added to the trip, I will email back my address so you can send the money.

Detailed info for those who are being invited or attending for the first time:

Once I have the list of people who have sent money, I will send out another email taking opinions on this year's menu. For those of you who haven't done this before, we basically meet at the trailhead on Saturday morning at around 8 or 9am and I hand out bags weighing about 5 to 6 pounds each.
You will have to save space in your pack for this bag which each person will help carry their share up to the Hut. Once at the Hut, I will organize the groceries and recruit help with chopping and slicing and dicing and cook up a meal each night.

There are a bunch of nice dayhikes from the Hut and people usually go hiking on Sunday during the day, making sure to get back in time for dinner. As a reminder, I cannot cancel your spot and get money back to you once we are within a month of the trip so please keep that in mind when signing up. However, I usually do have a waiting list of people so finding replacements is usually possible but NOT promised.

Hope to have some new faces this year.

sli74

I've heard so many great things about your Gourmet Hut Trips! I wish I could go, I look forward to hearing all about it from others.

(Also, I think the way you're going about this is fantastic -- completely nonexclusionary, which is most excellent. Hope to make it next year).

Sabrina, I have about 10 spots left still . . . so let me know if you want to sign up. Like I said, I can cancel a spot until about mid-April and then you are stuck with the spot. ;)

Trish, I usually offer the spots to those who have attended previously and then open it up to the entire VFTT community. It has worked well doing it this way since I usually get about a half dozen new people each year. It is amazing that the first year I did this, there were 3 of us. One of these days I will do this trip somewhere other than the AMC huts so that my AMC disliking friends can attend for a change. :)

sli74

I'm glad your previous method worked well for you regarding the invites..however, seems nicer this way, inviting everyone and having it be first-come-first served. JMO.

I really wish I could do this, but I have to work Memorial Day WE. I would love to meet you as I heard we probably hike at the same (slow) pace. Oh well, maybe I'll get to meet you out there on the trails or at a gathering.
Sandy