Gourmet Hut Trip to Carter Notch Hut - Feb 18-20, 2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Seema!!

Thank you Seema for orgainzing this wonderful Gourmet Hut trip! Your cooking is incredible! I can't tell you how nice it was to come back from a day of hiking and to have a wonderful meal.....everything was delicious! Many thanks to Noah as well who patiently repaired my eye glasses! Just so you all know I did go out yesterday and puchase a new pair....it will be interesting to see how long it will take before they need a repair. :eek: As far as the cold....well, it was COLD! It was nice to also meet so many new people too. :) Thanks everyone for such a great weekend!

-MEB

I've finally caught my breath enough to chime in and post after an exhausting past couple of days! I had an INCREDIBLE time this past weekend, and so enjoyed getting to know the people from this VFTT community a little better. Random thoughts: We missed you Susan (and Hanna, Jen, and Teejay)! Seema, your cooking rocked! Thanks Michael for driving and hiking down Wildcat A with me, thanks Mary Ellen for recognizing my stupor and getting me up to the bunkhouse to change, thanks Meri for showing me crampon technique, thanks Wendy and Noah for all the entertainment, thanks Bob for the foot photo, and thanks Geri for the improvised ice pack!! :) Thank you ALL for your superb company and photos (thanks to you, I was camera-less and still have a million photos to share with friends!)! We should do this more often...
-katie

nice pics, david!

MEB! congrats on your new frames!! although, the repairs of your glasses was becoming a tradition at the huts!! ;)

Excellent! I love my evil-eyeglasses picture, Dave!

Bunchberry, I think you should share with the audience what the "ice" pack was. We don't, however, need to share why you needed one. *cough*
(note to self; next time, bring hot cocoa mug that has a lid)

Last edited:
Thank you Seema (cooks great food) and Brian (water gatherer)! Your hard work made us happy and comfortable in the coldest of cold.

Observations:

I had a hopefully once in a lifetime slight dive into hypothermia when I arrived at Carter. I didn't keep on top of the fluids/food while hiking and couldn't warm up for around an hour, even with the nice soup from MEB. I now know about shaking uncontrollably and being slightly disoriented... and will try to avoid both of those in the future :eek:

Charlie and I had a lot of fun hiking the Wildcats and Kittens with MEB. I learned that I love hiking with goggles and that MEB licks frozen boulders.

I thought they should have put in some kind of device to video tape all the spills down the frozen luge to the hut. Each trip to and from the outhouse was an experience!

Clivus = frozen butt.

Next time to Carter, I'm bringing hockey skates and stick!

Thanks to all of the wonderful people we ate so much food with, laughed with, chopped onions with, ate more food with, etc.

-Blue

Reactions: MEB
MichaelJ said:
Excellent! I love my evil-eyeglasses picture, Dave!

Bunchberry, I think you should share with the audience what the "ice" pack was. We don't, however, need to share why you needed one. *cough*
(note to self; next time, bring hot cocoa mug that has a lid)

OK, so the "ice pack" was a ziplock filled with frozen baby wipes, and it was needed (can't help but share!) because *someone* spilled some hot cocoa on my head, right in the part between my hair! Supposedly it was only a couple of drops, but wow, that "ice pack" sure was soothing!
-katie :)

Sunday photos now up here, just scroll down. This includes Carter Dome and another Thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat.

-dave-