Gourmet Hut Trip to Carter Notch Hut - Feb 18-20, 2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
Here I sit at work, still exhausted but VERY happy after a successful Carter Hut trip. Since the Gourmet Hut Trip to Greenleaf last May was such a hit, I decided back in October to have a winter version. Since Zealand Hut, my first choice for the trip, was filled up for President’s Day Weekend, I booked 25 spots at Carter Notch Hut and sent out my usual mass email inviting those on my email list on the trip. After 2 or so months we had an initial group of 15 signed up for the trip. After a posting on VFTT recruiting others, our numbers steadily grew to a total of 22 hikers. Of the 22 signed up we had 2 newbies and 20 intermediate to experienced winter hikers on the trip. We had most all of the Northeast states represented (and in the last day or two even added a Kanadian :) ).

After a bunch of emails taking polls, I decided on Indian food one night and Thai food the next. With the Hut being so centrally located to 5 coveted peaks on the “list”, the hiking plans soon fell together also. The winter has been so unusually warm that we were a little thrown off by the reports of the incoming cold temps. We had 2 members of our team drop out before the trip began, one for work related reasons and one because of the brutally cold temps predicted for the weekend. The remaining 20 plus a last minute addition for a total of 21 showed up at the trailhead between 8-9 am on Saturday morning.

I will now post my version of the trip in this report and others will add their more exciting versions, I am sure . . .

I had a more than usual busy, hectic and stressful week at work that forced me to keep my Friday night plans loose and undecided. I spent Friday driving up to Woodstock to stay at a friend’s cabin where I reorganized the 80+ pounds of groceries into even 4 or 5 pound sections. To add to the stress, the lights promptly went out early during my organization forcing me to organize in the dark. The lights of course came back on soon after I finished all the packing. We worked late into the night and after only 4 hours of sleep Brian and I made our way through blowing snow and icy roads to the 19-mile brook trailhead, where we found shizzmac gearing up.

We got there at 7:45 am and for the next hour and a half or more I greeted and handed out bags of food to each person making the trip up to the Hut. Unfortunately, one of our members arrived after driving for HOURS with a car problem that he needed to attend to and thus had to make the obviously difficult decision to drop out of the trip and possibly meet us the next day. Now our group was down to 20 hikers. Most of the groups arrived by 9 am and left with their full packs and their hiking plans in mind. Brian and I finally left the parking lot at about 10:15 am.

On our way up we ran into a couple of hikers descending and I immediately recognized them from their avatars as Unfrozencaveman and BigEarl. After chatting with them a bit and getting the weather report and a heads up about the possibility of losing some of my group to weather fears, we pushed on. At our nice leisurely pace, we reached the Hut, sometime after 2 pm. I didn’t get a look at the time because as we made our way up to the Hut, 2 of our group were geared up for their descent back to the cars. The temps at this time were hovering around 0 degrees and dropping like a lead ball. I was REALLY sad to see them go and I was obviously too late to help change their minds so after a difficult goodbye, they headed down and we went up to our bunks. Now we were down to 18 in our group.

After changing into dry clothes, which let me tell you is NO easy feat at below zero temps, I came down to the Hut ready to begin cooking our dinner for the night. There was still a group out on the Wildcats and we anxiously awaited their return as we chopped, diced, sliced and fried over the stove. They arrived back in time for dinner

I cannot put into words what a wonderful experience cooking the dinners were this weekend. To have so very many helpers is really how cooking dinner should be every night. I cooked up Paneer and Vegetable Vindaloo Masala for the vegetarians, Chicken and Vegetable and Paneer Korma for the 1 person who couldn’t handle spicy food and Chicken/Paneer/Vegetable Vindaloo Masala for the rest of the crew. I also made an Indian soup, Lima Bean Sambhar and basmathi rice and bread called naan. Even with my careful shopping this time around, I cooked enough food for about 25 people and more. With all the help I got, I was able to pull together this huge meal in 2 hours (which is amazing as those who cook Indian food know).

After eating our dinner, those who didn’t get a chance to help with the preparation of the meal, helped with the clean up and they are to be Thanked even more than those of us who prepared the food. I got to sit back and relax in the Hut, which was now a cozy 60 degrees. We shared our food with others in other groups and eventually prepared for the cold night we would spend in our sleeping bags in the unheated bunkhouses. The predicted temps were frigid and the morning reading confirmed that with the ambient temps falling to minus 15 and the wind chills bottoming out at minus 35 . . . someone correct me if the numbers are wrong.

I slept like a baby in my new Western Mountaineering Puma which my special someone gave me for Christmas so I could stop my 3 year drool fest over that bag. I had to unzip and vent the bag because I was too warm during the night.

The morning brought another crazy cold and windy day. The braver (crazier) souls ventured into the cold to bag their respective peaks. Brian had left his wind pants at home and we didn’t want to risk his freezing to death of the trails so we stayed inside warm and well fed and wimps. Almost all of us got out for some length of time during the day even if that didn’t involve any peaks. Bob and Geri were the hearty souls who made the longest treks and still arrived back in time for dinner.

Once again at 4 pm, I began the cooking process for the evening. This night we had Pad Thai and Drunken Noodles, prepared either vegetarian (just broccoli) or not (Chicken and Shrimp) and both spicy and not to accommodate the food wimp in our group ;) . . . we also had a yummy Tom Yum Soup with baby corn, water chestnuts and straw mushrooms. The meal was thankfully a success. Once again, having helpers makes all the difference. We ate to our hearts content, shared our food once again with others in the Hut and spent the evening playing cards and chess and did I hear an out loud reading of a Dr. Seuss book?

The temps had moderated for the second night and I believe we all had a comfortable night of sleep. The next morning, everyone packed up and left at their own paces depending on individual plans. I know of at least 2 people who hiked down early, drove to another trailhead and hiked other peaks (WOW) !!! And most of the rest hiked down for their long drives home. And Brian and I climbed with our HUGE packs up and over Carter Dome before heading back to the car.

I underestimated the difficulty of climbing up ICE and ICE and ICE with 50 plus pound packs . . . ouch !!! We left the Hut at about 10 am, in crampons and kept the crampons on the entire way to the car, where we arrived at just before 6 pm, barely making it without the need for headlamps.

After some organization of the spices left near my car and on top of my car :D we grabbed a bite to eat at Pizza hut and made it home by midnight. What a weekend. I cannot Thank the great group enough for making the weekend such a success. I had a FABULOUS time and though I didn’t get all 5 peaks, I got the only one I “needed” and had a GREAT time doing it. So, who’s up for another one in May?

sli74

Seema

Thanks for the great work at organizing the weekend and the wonderfull food. As I said - that was the best soup I have ever had.

Geri and I were unsure of overnighting in such cold temps - we learned a lot this weekend - mostly to trust in our gear and friends. We had a great time between the hiking, the great company and the wonderfull food.

We'll try to get our photos posted tonight.

a different league!

Well, you ladies and gents are in a different hiking league than I! Here's my wimpy trip report:

After spending the past 2 months gearing up for winter hiking and going out for a few winter adventures in Vermont, I was excited for a trip to the whites for a weekend outdoors. I have always been resistant to winter hiking due to some serious issues with getting cold easily and having a hard time warming up...I'm pretty sure I have Reynaud's disease...it sucks for someone living in New England. I should take out stock in the company that makes those hand/feet warmers. I've been known to use them at work and to type with my liner gloves on when my office is 68*...it's pathetic. I'm very, very scared of not being able to get warm. So, winter hiking is a new frontier for me. When I heard what the weather was predicted to be, I was freaked out. But decided to try anyway knowing that I would be fine with changing my mind at any point after getting to the hut. Abster, my carpooling/hiking buddy, was also agreeable to this plan.

So, we left Springfield, VT at 5:30 a.m. and drove through relatively crappy conditions to Nineteen mile brook trailhead. I loved the hike up to the hut, especially as you come out near the ponds with the mountains all around and the wind howling in the trees...I was moved to whoop at the top of my lungs...I loved it!!! After getting the sleeping bag situated in the bunkhouse and heading down to the hut for some food and a little group warmth I started to realize how cold it was and how fast I was going to freeze to death!!! ;) My feet were starting to feel pretty numb in my double plastic boots and I just didn't feel like moving or doing anything. Despite everyone's best efforts at peer pressure and suggestions for how to get warm, Abster and I decided to head back to the car and not fight with the cold. For those of you who don't know what it's like to be cold for pretty much the whole winter, even inside, it's probably hard to imagine how daunting 2 1/2 days of no real, consistent relief from the cold can be.

When abster and I got back to my car, I was so relieved. I said an outloud "prayer" to Mother Nature to keep all of you safe, but damn was I happy to be headed home! Abster and I stopped at the Station for beer and chili and soup. As we sat there she commented that it had been the most expensive 8 mile hike ever! I had been thinking the same thing while driving away from the trailhead with the heater blasting away. So, here's a new credit card commercial:

New Winter hiking gear: $250
Food & Lodging for the weekend: $70
Gas to drive 300 miles: $35
Unexpected dinner at the Station: $25
Hot shower and sleeping in your warm bed: Priceless

You all are at a level of weather endurance that I can't even imagine. Or maybe you're just crazy? :D For now, I'm gonna stick to winter dayhikes...baby steps, baby steps....Sorry I missed out on the food and friendship..hopefully I'll get to join you all again on a more temperate adventure! I still had a great day hiking am still enjoying being out in the winter more than I thought I would. I had a great time driving/hiking/hanging out with Abster!

Keepin my toes cozy,
Jen

Seema, Mike P and I got back to the parking lot around 5:30pm after doing the Wildcats (and a lousy road walk). We saw a whole mess of spices, oatmeal, sauces, and plastic bags all over the place, some of it nibbled. We picked up and sorted stuff as best we could. Holes in the bags resulted in our leaving stuff on your car. Sorry about that! :p

I'm glad to hear you got out OK. We were concerned that you were going to be stuck in the dark or that something might have happened to you.

It was great to see and meet so many VFTT folks on their way out. Maybe next time I'll be able to get a spot and join in the fun! :)

Toe Cozy said:
Well, you ladies and gents are in a different hiking league than I! Here's my wimpy trip report:

Well, I am VERY proud of you for trying. Mother Nature just had different plan for you this weekend. You will gain confidence in your gear and technique with experience but until then, dayhikes it will be. You are a trooper for even going so GOOD FOR YOU !!!!

sli74

Double Bow said:
Seema, Mike P and I got back to the parking lot around 5:30pm after doing the Wildcats (and a lousy road walk). We saw a whole mess of spices, oatmeal, sauces, and plastic bags all over the place, some of it nibbled. We picked up and sorted stuff as best we could. Holes in the bags resulted in our leaving stuff on your car. Sorry about that! :p

I'm glad to hear you got out OK. We were concerned that you were going to be stuck in the dark or that something might have happened to you.

It was great to see and meet so many VFTT folks on their way out. Maybe next time I'll be able to get a spot and join in the fun! :)

No problem !!! I just thought Metsky and crew were being funny, didn't even realize that the bags were invaded. :) Glad most of it was in plastic and glass :)

No need to worry with me and the dark . . . I am used to hiking by headlamp, the fate of the slow hiker :) . . . I keep telling Brian that I HAVE to start early, no more late starts for me. Thanks for being concerned though !!!

sli74

Glad you got out okay, when I thought how late it was, I had not thought about the huge packs you were carrying. May will be too soon before the Presi-Traverse trip for me to spend a night or two away from the family + I'll be trying to lose weight before the Traverse, not gain it :D (I already have a business trip in May planned too.) I have to get to one of these food feasts, either yours or a Gathering.

Kicking myself for not asking Dave M & Michael J if they would have moved my car up to Wildcat. I've walked the road before from PNVC to 19 Mile but not in plastic boots. :( :eek:

No treadmill at the gym today, just a 2.8 mile walk around Bushnell Park.

I posted our trail conditions report but I'll let the English Major of our twosome write any Trip Report that may come from our day on the Wildcats.

i have a little trip report to give, too!!

Little Sister and I decided to do a dayhike to Mt Hight/Carter Dome on Saturday, and stop by the hut on our way down. We ran into a bunch of VFTTers at the trailhead and then more on our way up 19 Mile Brook, and chatted with them a while, then continued up to the summit of Mt Hight. Surprisingly it wasn't super duper windy at the top but there was some cloud coverage and we didn't get the best views. I froze my butt cheeks I swear!! We booked on over to Carter Dome, it was an easy hike, and on down to the hut.

At the hut I saw some familiar faces (Shizzmac, MEB, Micheal J) and met some new ones (Bunchberry, David Metsky, Blue), I was a little bummed I didn't get to meet the organizer of the whole event :( , but Little Sister and I decided to get our rears in gear and head out. On the hike down we met up w/ Harry and Abster and Jen (toe cozy).

Great hike and great to meet some new folks! :cool:

I got a few pics from the overall day, but only a few from the hut before my camera fogged completely over.... Pics Here

Last edited:
HOW!!! :confused: How did I miss that original thread? I would have enjoyed the time and needed those peaks. WildPeaks and I ended up doing the Kinsman's, which was a great time (he's awesome to hike with), but I would have definitely enjoyed the Hut ambiance over multiple days.

Kicking myself in the butt over this one... :(

yam said:
I was a little bummed I didn't get to meet the organizer of the whole event :( , but Little Sister and I decided to get our rears in gear and head out.

How did we miss each other? I was at the trailhead from 7:45 am till 10:15 am and at the Hut from about 2:30 pm on . . . You should join in next time, it was great fun !!!

sli74

Lawn Sale said:
HOW!!! :confused: How did I miss that original thread? I would have enjoyed the time and needed those peaks. WildPeaks and I ended up doing the Kinsman's, which was a great time (he's awesome to hike with), but I would have definitely enjoyed the Hut ambiance over multiple days.

Kicking myself in the butt over this one... :(

I posted it in early January and actually ended up cancelling a number of spots due to a lack of response to the trip event posting. Next time, I will plan another one soon,

sli74

I remember what it was now, I saw the thread title and kept going because I was supposed to be in Quebec (Pont Rouge actually) at the Ice Climber's Fesitval, but couldn't make the trip at the last minute.

That and my memory really sinks.

Next time I'll put the dates in my Palm, just in case. :)

I'm relieved to see others have issues with the cold too, but I sure missed the great company and the food! May will be perfect!

Pat promises he'll carry the 75 pounds of onions again.

Wonderful trip report, Seema, and thank you again for organizing a fantastic trip! I just have a few things to add...

I drove Bunchberry, Wendy, and Noah up from Massachusetts, and we did prove that 4 people with overnight gear and full packs can all fit into a Subaru Outback if you're careful.

We all had a great time hanging out Friday night at Hiker's - it was fun to bump into JohnS and Shizzmac there, and a good thing that Sean had extra boots for Wendy, thank you!

I could feel the cold coming in as we hiked up 19-Mile. I believe we started around 13° and it was just below 0° when we got to the hut, and still falling. The night would bottom out at -15°F and winds at the hut would top out at 52mph. It was a wild ride Saturday night, and I'm glad that so many worried hikers found themselves cozily warm in their bags.

The food was … incredible. No other way to describe it. Thank you thank you thank you!

On Sunday, a bunch of us headed up the Wildcats. The trail conditions were thoroughly packed: crampons required, snowshoes would be useless. Crossing the slide wasn't bad, but one missed step and you're taking a long ride down to an ice-covered boulder that will launch you into space (after breaking many bones). An ice axe held in the self-arrest position is strongly recommended. My knee was hurting from a fall I took on the hike in (a crampon popped off and I slammed down onto the ice), so Bunchberry and I turned around after getting the somewhat-limited-by-blowing-snow views off Wildcat A, while Shizzmac, Meri, Nancy, and the Kanadian headed on to D to catch up to MEB, Blue, and Charlie. I think it was around -7° when we were up there.

Monday was interesting, as we all clearly noticed that the 19-Mile Brook Trail had less cover (ice and frozen snow) and more bare ground than it had on Saturday. Given the temperatures, we're all confused about how this happened. Did it sublimate?

Sorry for my terseness, I have to rush off to work. It was great to see everyone; thank you for a terrific weekend! My pictures are posted here.
:cool:

Last edited:
Mmmmmm, anybody for some Indian food today? Seema, you should publish a cookbook!

Nice trip report and nice pictures MichaelJ!

Jay

Well, I wish I had known about the gathering. Now I know why so few parking places were available Sunday am! I mostly lurk on this site except when I have trail conditions. I had a nice solo ice skate and hike up to the Wildcats, A-E on Sunday. I probably chatted with some of you .

Nice trail! 19 Mile Brook is more fun with a bit more snow but it is pretty next to the river regardless. Wildcat Ridge is a wonderful trail, esp once you make it up to A Peak.

I will have to get in on one of those gatherings some day. Ski season is hard logistically.

sli74 said:
How did we miss each other? I was at the trailhead from 7:45 am till 10:15 am and at the Hut from about 2:30 pm on . . . You should join in next time, it was great fun !!!

sli74

i'm not sure how we missed each other, myself! we were at the trailhead around 9 am....and left the hut around 3 pm....
next time for sure!!! :cool:

great pics, michealj.

MichaelJ said:
Monday was interesting, as we all clearly noticed that the 19-Mile Brook Trail had less cover (ice and frozen snow) and more bare ground than it had on Saturday. Given the temperatures, we're all confused about how this happened. Did it sublimate?
Yes it can. Remember too that the ground may be warmer than the air which will help to drive the sublimation. Add some dry air and stir...

One year (back when I was ice climbing) we had a period of several weeks of cold with no precip. Holes in the ice enlarged etc. The formations were a bit wierd. Much of the climbing was done by hooking old holes.

Doug

yam said:
i'm not sure how we missed each other, myself! we were at the trailhead around 9 am....and left the hut around 3 pm....
next time for sure!!! :cool:
I think Seema was up in the bunkhouse when you were at the hut. She came back down to the hut after you left. Missed by that much.

I'm putting my pics together now. Great weekend despite the somewhat unfriendly temps. More later.

-dave-