Grace? Carson?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyestreet

Reaction score
Have these peaks been officially renamed? Just curious, planning a backpack up the Boquet Valley next weekend to bag the 5 Dixes. nyestreet

here is a reply I got from my ADK 46'er correspondent from the ADK forty sixer club. "We're in the transition of changing the names of two of our high peaks. South Dix to carson peak and east dix to Grace Peak. In the meantime we would appreciate everyone use their new names".

My Barbara McMartin High Peaks guide, 1998 printing, states that there is a ‘‘move afoot today’’ to rename East Dix ‘‘Clark,’’ after Herbert Clark (‘‘Discover the Adirondack High Peaks,’’ page 147). That was just eight years ago, and I’ll bet few here are even aware of it. I’ve certainly never seen or heard any reference to any Clark Mountain or Clark Peak.

Ten years from now, everyone will probably have forgotten all about Grace Peak and Russell Peak, too. Then it will be Mount Hickey and PinPin Peak.

Not a chance. If we keep talking about them they will never be forgotten. As the 46ers said, use the names Carson Peak and Grace Peak as if it were changed. We don't need anything official to memorilize them in our hearts.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that only the New York State Senate has the ability to name/rename peaks in any official capacity.

Grace has to be deceased for five years before the change can even go into affect. That won't be until March 13, 2009. Until then, "let her memory live on, within the hearts of those who knew and loved her and those who didn't."

Actually, there is a well organized committe working on the name change. We've spoken to the USGS board of names and following their instructions to the letter.
Among them, is getting the "new" names in common useage, enlist the support of the communities nearby, and build public support. We are working hard to accomplishe all of these and the Chair, Doug Arnold, has been travelling the state with a powerpoint slide show, presenting the case to every club, town, organization or school that expresses interest.
The biggest impediment is the 5 year rule and we can't do anything about that. What we can do is talk about Grace and what she's done for the ADKs and generations of hikers.
While alive, Grace would never have countenanced this effort, but there is no way we'll let this NOT happen.

One of the things I regret the most about hiking the 46-is the fact that I never met Grace. Something always happened where I couldn't make it to a meeting or something. The least I can do is support the movement to get her a mountain of her own.

peak_bgr said:
One of the things I regret the most about hiking the 46-is the fact that I never met Grace. Something always happened where I couldn't make it to a meeting or something. The least I can do is support the movement to get her a mountain of her own.

I never met her either :( . But It feel like I knew her. Everytime I hike in the High Peaks.

I've read and re-read Peaks and People so often, I feel like I know Mr. Carson too.

Besides, John Adams Dix, who was certainly a nice guy, and a good Secretary of state under Marcy, an average Governor, and a descent civil war officer (Major General, USA) and a patiot. But lets be real, he certainly doesn't need 3 friggin mountains nammed for him. :D

Mt HUDOWALSKI

A while back my daughter asked me a question: Why is it that the ADK peaks named after men all use their last names, but the one current and proposed second peaks named after women (Esther and Grace) use their first names?

Yes, Grace was best known as "Grace" but really, whether you have feminist sensibilities or not, we really should be using her last name. The Esther "precedent" was a long time ago, and a completely different situation. In addition, Grace's husband Ed was a very important figure in the early establishment of the 46r organization.

"Hudowalski" would rightly honor them both.

Joe

JoeCedar said:
A while back my daughter asked me a question: Why is it that the ADK peaks named after men all use their last names, but the one current and proposed second peaks named after women (Esther and Grace) use their first names?

Yes, Grace was best known as "Grace" but really, whether you have feminist sensibilities or not, we really should be using her last name. The Esther "precedent" was a long time ago, and a completely different situation. In addition, Grace's husband Ed was a very important figure in the early establishment of the 46r organization.

Joe

Out of NO disrespect to Ed but I believe it's because of Grace's lifetime involvement/committment with the Club for close to 60 years. Ed died in the '60's with Grace '04, so she had over 40 more years involved.

JoeCedar said:

Joe
Your daughter's a perceptive young lady. It does seem disrepectful to use her first name, not the last, as done when named after men.

However, I think it's unlikely anyone can alter the course of this ship. Too much momentum for "Grace".

OK, I have interpretted the answer to my question as a no, but those lobbying for the official change would like us to refer to the peaks as their proposed names. Fair enough. Now, is E. Dix Grace and S. Dix Carson, or vice - versa, and who was Carson?? Thanks for the input, I've been out of the flow for the last 2 years. nyestreet

I knew Grace quite well, even hiked with her once. It is true she would never agree to this name change though one for Carson she would lead the charge. You can see Grace Peak from the shoreline from her camp, "The Boulders". Grace often pointed to it and commented on how it was one of her favorites.

Naming it Grace Peak has a terriffic ring and I do not see using Grace rather than her last name as any slight. Everyone knew her as Grace and all who remember her think, "Grace". I am not sure what her response would have been if I had addressed her as Mrs Hudowalski. I am pretty certain there would have been some form of rebuke.

We discussed this once, though, I never mentioned calling East Dix, Grace, she let me know she had heard rumors and suggested we call South Dix, "Carson" and name East Dix after Jim Goodwin or Herb Clark. It was not surprizing that Grace was aware people considered this name change. But she never let on what she actually thought of it.

A truly great lady and a high peak she favored being called simply, "Grace Peak", has a ring of beauty and honor to a Lady known simply as Grace.

Last edited:
Sorry, I got the answer to E Dix/S Dix who's who in the second post, but I still don't know who Carson is. That Grace has a beautiful slide route to the top seems fitting for her new name. nyestreet

Nye, Carson was the fellow who wrote the book, Peaks and People of the Adirondacks He was a conservationist who worked hard to protect the Adrondacks. I am a little light on his accomplishments. This is just a piece of it.

It is rather interesting we have several mountains named after politicians who most likely never seen "their" mountain and couldn't care less. It would be nice to name a few after some people who loved them and in Grace's case were actually born in the Adirondacks.

Last edited:
Grace would absolutely NOT go for Mrs. Hudowalski. She felt everyone should be on a first name basis! Same goes for Mountains, she also felt that when referring to a Mountain, it was also by their name and not Mt. in front of it.