Grafton Notch in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
I was traveling from NH on Rt 26 into Maine and goes right thru Grafton Notch State Park.

There are a few noted waterfall and short hike parking spots for Screw Auger Falls and a couple others...

BUT...

As I was driving, if you look up towards the right side of the road about midway up the mountain looked like a very impressive waterfall in plain view amongst the mountainside trees.

Does anyone know what falls this is?
And if one of those parking lots goes to it?
All the waterfall books and sites about Grafton Notch just mention the easy waterfalls that are close hikes from the road.

That one looked like it would be a more significant hike to get to but looked well worth it.

Anyone have more info with this area and in particular that falls?

I don't know that you can set it from the road, but Step Falls is located just south of the state park boundry, and it is well worth the 1/2-3/4 mile walk to it. Are the falls you are refering to in the actual notch area?

Not sure of the waterfall but I can highly recommend the Sunday River Whitecap bootleg trail.

Yes the falls is right in that Grafton Notch area.
Granted now, when I drove thru last Tuesday 7/2 was after a boatload of rains so that may have made that extra impressive from afar. But you could clearly see it with the naked eye just looking up to the right while driving. And it looked big.
It could be that Step Falls, I am not sure.
I was just surprised I couldn't find more info on it that easily. Judging how big it looked to be, I would think it would be in the books/websites.

I don't think it was Step Falls you saw as you can't see them from 26 as far as I know (I've never been able). Also Step Falls would be on the left and are well below the heart of the notch traveling south from NH as I think you are describing. I do think I know the fall you are describing on the right (south side of the notch) as I remember seeing a fall seemingly pouring from a steeper section farther up the slope and wondered the same as you.

Regardless Step Falls is well worth a visit and is more popular amongst locals then you might think.

I think I know the falls you are asking about and I believe they are a site for ice climbing. There may be a herd path for that reason, although I've never tried to get to the falls.

The falls only exist during spring runoff or after heavy rains (June was our 7th rainiest on record) and are unnamed as far as I know. It is located near the former, now abandoned, Fire warden's Trail. I have see ice climbers on that pitch as well. I agree with peakbagger, Sunday River Whitecap is not to be missed. The Grafton Loop Trail as a whole is fantastic.

GuideMe

The falls only exist during spring runoff or after heavy rains (June was our 7th rainiest on record) and are unnamed as far as I know. It is located near the former, now abandoned, Fire warden's Trail. I have see ice climbers on that pitch as well. I agree with peakbagger, Sunday River Whitecap is not to be missed. The Grafton Loop Trail as a whole is fantastic.

GuideMe

agreed! that's what I think you are referring to shamples, great 1st post GuideMe, 8.5 years and 1 post, nice! :)

Very interesting stuff. Good info!

I guess what I saw then was a semi rare thing.

First time driving thru so thought that was the norm.

Now wish I had stopped and taken some pics darnit!