Great Meadow Hill in Rehoboth Mass - Need Info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
Number 2 in the small peaks of Massachusetts Series

I'm interested in climbing some of Massachusetts' smaller peaks and Great Meadow Hill in Rehoboth is high on my list (don't ask why - some will quickly guess!) Google Maps

If you look at the aerial on the Google Map you'll see a bunch of buildings, a road and even a parking lot. Sound like a drive up, no? No! Turns out in the 60s this was a Nike Site and now is a Superfund Site!

Before calling the proper authorities I'd like to know if anyone lives near there and knows anything about access. Zooming in closely on the aerial does not show any fences or gates. Maybe on a Sunday morning it would be a drive up (um, walk up - this is a peakbagging board.)

Anyone live in this area? Maybe drop by on the way home from work and ask (don't forget your hazmat suit :rolleyes: )

Thanks

Note: this post replaces the one I recently added which said the hill was in Foxboro. It's in Rehoboth, not Foxboro, sorry.

I live a couple of towns over... I've driven past but never tried walking in. The top of the hill has a National Guard Armory (some of the other old buildings are now municipal -- town hall, animal shelter, etc.)

My husband has been to the armory (for work) to take photos of troops returning from Iraq and said that you can drive right into the lot (no gates, fences or anything.) No idea how they'll feel about people milling around though.

- Ivy

rocket21 said:
Keyboard slip?
No slip. "Nike" was in use by the US Army long before Bill Bowerman started making running shoes. They were small anti aircraft missiles sited on hill tops across the country in the late 50s early 60s. We had one in our home town. With an name like "rocket21" I thought you knew :D

Papa Bear said:
No slip. "Nike" was in use by the US Army long before Bill Bowerman started making running shoes. They were small anti aircraft missiles sited on hill tops across the country in the late 50s early 60s. We had one in our home town. With an name like "rocket21" I thought you knew :D

Learn something new every day! With a name like rocket21, I know about HGH and steroids, not missiles :)...err, *don't* know about HGH and steroids :)

I was there on a Saturday many years ago when the National Guard was in session, drove right in and asked the first enlisted man I saw if it was OK if I looked for the fire tower footings. He yelled for the first sergeant but when nobody came told me to go ahead. I didn't find them, presumably removed in Nike era.

Another fire tower hunter was refused permission, you just need to ask the right guy :) Also things may be tougher post 9/11.

Holy COW!!!

I grew up ON Great Meadow Hill in Rehoboth!!!

First of all, from what I gather, there is absolutely no access to the National Guard post on top of the hill.

There is a section of State Forest that can be accessed from Peck St, with parking for a couple of cars. There are a few blazed trails that pass through the state forest. In order to circumnavigate the hill you need to take the correct trail and then pass through private property. The landowners (farmers) have never bothered us while walking through this area, though. On their property is a network of dirt roads. We take our dogs there often. Please email me off list for additional info.