Ike and Pierce without a cloud in the sky 11-6-2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobH

Reaction score
This weekend, I had originally thought of visiting a peak that I'd never been to, but to be honest I didn't have a true plan. Una_dogger contacted me Saturday to ask if I'd like to join her and Pemi for a puppy-size peakbagging session. She suggested a a few places, I noted I hadn't been to Tecumseh, but that I would be up for anything. She eventually decided on Eisenhower and Pierce(with the forecast of "cool, brisk and clear" on Sunday, it was definitely the best choice). Eric and Sabrina, Madison, Terra and Pemi would spot a car at Crawford and meet me at Edmands. A bit of red-lining for me having not been on the trail between the two peaks yet, but who needs an excuse for a hike in the southern presi's with that forecast?

I woke up around 5(with an extra hour of sleep after the time change) and packed a lunch, some water, and some gatorade. Set out from my place in Barrington and paused at Winkley Pond off 125 for a quick picture.

IMG_20111106_063816.jpg

I chose route 16 for the approach, even though 93 is usually shorter for almost anything, if only to see the peaks I'd be climbing from most of my drive in. It ended up making me late. :eek: Sorry guys! It would be my 3rd or 4th time on either of these peaks, Sabrina's 4th time this year on Edmands alone (water bars!) and probably Eric's 40th or so overall. Clearly, I am the newbie. :p

We started out in comfortable November conditions on bare, leafy ground, as we walked the easy grades of the lower Edmands Path, we discussed some trail maintenance. Eric made a suggestion to cut hobblebush late in the season when the leaves were gone. I thought that was a great idea. At the crossing of the Abenaki Brook they showed me where the bridge had been washed a few feet downstream. Water is an amazing force. The trail started gaining elevation, and the trail was icy and the snow accumulations higher. This called for some traction. I normally use yaktrax but with EMS having a sale, and Sabrina's recommendation, I had convinced myself the night before to buy some microspikes. They were definitely worth the purchase!

We maintained a steady pace and came across an odd sight about halfway to the ridge. A man was standing in the trail holding a tree. At first Eric was thinking that maybe he didn't like dogs, so they quickly grabbed each of their pets and we started to walk past. Something wasn't right though, he didn't look afraid, or winded (like he was taking a rest), and he had a bag around one of his feet. We asked him if he was alright and he said that he was waiting for a rescue team because he had a broken ankle! He explained that he had come up Crawford and summited Washington (I think? Not sure if that was fully clear) but somewhere on descent had fallen and broken his ankle. His cell phone didn't get service so he had come down Edmands instead of going on to Crawford and spent the night out! In the morning, when he hadn't seen anyone for a long time, I think was afraid that no one would ever some so had turned around and tried to go up again! Thankfully, someone came by behind him soon and called him a rescue team. We offered him food, water, our phones, but he declined politely. He looked to me to be doing alright, all things considered. I think Sabrina and Eric agreed. We wished him luck and continued on.

Soon enough we broke treeline and hit the AT intersection and all put on an extra layer for the ascent. The wind was probably around 20mph but I could feel the bite. Everyone had a snack and a drink, and they suggested I lead the last .4 to the top. I took the opportunity to take a quick pic after we passed through the switchbacks.

IMG_20111106_110332.jpg

And soon we were on top, with views to infinity! Madison hanging around the summit cairn.

IMG_20111106_110948.jpg

A few crows (or maybe Ravens I didn't look closely enough) floated by on the breeze, really close to the ground. This prompted great interest from the doggies! They returned after a quick jaunt around the summit meadow. These expressions are priceless!

IMG_20111106_111013.jpg

One last shot of the ridge before continuing on.

IMG_20111106_111045.jpg

The trail was very nice down the south side of Ike! Switchbacks across snowfields, we followed the cairns with endless views towards the west.

IMG_20111106_111414.jpg

And out across the Montalban Range to the east.

IMG_20111106_111153.jpg

We kept moving and once we got back below treeline we stopped again for a snack. Pemi took the opportunity to romp in the snow a bit.

IMG_20111106_114001.jpg

The group as we passed over some bog bridges. We passed a few groups going the opposite direction, many of which Sabrina and/or Eric seemed to know. I am terrible with names, and sometimes shy, so I don't really remember anyone. :confused:

IMG_20111106_114821.jpg

The rest of the photos here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/113151684718025230301/albums/5672390656013551857

Once we arrived at the top of Pierce we met a group with 2 big bull-mastiffs. Rather than make the situation tense between the pups, Eric suggested that we just tag the top and head back down for lunch at bit lower down.

After lunch, we casually walked down Crawford. It was lightly packed with snow for most of the way, which we agreed was really pleasant! At the Highland center, changed and drove back up Mt. Clinton road. We noted the F&G, 911, Twin Mountain fire dept, and Forest Service vehicles at the Edmands trailhead. I read today in the Union Leader that he made it out OK and to Littleton Hospital. Great news, poor guy!

Thanks to Eric, Una_dogger, Terra, Madison and Pemi for an exceptional day in the mountains.

nice report Jacob. I was in one of the groups between Eisenhower and Pierce, nice to have met you! It really was an awesome day above tree line wasn't it? The poor chap with the ankle was getting atention from the groups you mentioned when I passed him going down Edmands, must have been a chilly night for him.

What an amazing day to be above treeline, good thing Pemi needed those peaks!!! :D

Here is my attempt at a little slideshow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhV-XtD8hiw

JacobH; you kindly left out the part where I thought I lost my car keys!!! Sorry to scare you guys! :) Glad that all worked out!

KPMMBM: looked around for you and your hiking friend while dropping the guys off at Edmands - hope you were ahead of us and got a ride to your cars?

Thanks again, to Jacob and Eric, for an amazing day above treeline!

Last edited:
I had only just met my new friend near Pierce, he was back tracking from Eisenhower to Crawford Path. I headed down Edmunds, got to trailhead and walked out about half way before getting a ride. Was back to my car around 2:30. I'm thinking you all were gone by then?

Thanks for the kind words Donna and Tdawg!

What an amazing day to be above treelike, good thing Pemi needed those peaks!!! :D

Here is my attempt at a little slideshow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhV-XtD8hiw

JacobH; you kindly left out the part where I thought I lost my car keys!!! Sorry to scare you guys! :) Glad that all worked out!

KPMMBM: looked around for you and your hiking friend while dropping the guys off at Edmands - hope you were ahead of us and got a ride to your cars?

Thanks again, to Jacob and Eric, for an amazing day above treeline!

Definitely scarier for you! A 2 mile walk back to my car is certainly worse than being 200 miles from home without access to it. :eek:

I also forgot to mention Pemi bagged #2 and #3 on her 48 list, and probably missed some other stuff too. ;)

Thanks for posting your pictures.

Looks like a fun hike. Your views were incredible for sure! What a beautiful day to be above treeline!

Did the crows or ravens make any noise? It is my understanding that the raven makes a very deep, slow crow sound, vs. the crow which makes the high pitched, crow sound.

Karl