Grey Knob

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Frati

Reaction score
Wondering if reservations are needed to stay at Gray Knob? Who does one call if so? Do they have tent sites around the cabin, or is there somewhere to set up a tent in the vicinity? Thanks.... Jim

No reservations are needed (or accepted) at Grey Knob. There is a modest, per person fee of $10 per night, which is collected by a caretaker at the cabin. There aren't any tent platforms in the immediate vicinity of the cabin, and you'd be hard pressed to find any legal area to set up a tent nearby. If I remember correctly, there are some relatively new tent platforms (along with the lean-to) over at The Perch.

Jim Frati said:
Would it be unreasonable to expect open space there on New Years Eve? Thanks

Grey Knob is a very popular place New Year's Eve. I have been there numerous times on that date. It is a yearly ritual for some. One year when I was there the caretaker had let people build snow caves to stay in because the cabin was packed. Bottom line...get going early.

I think in general, it is getting pretty packed on weekends now - early dec, it was full or near full on the friday and then sat - it was full and I think people were moved to crag (which is not heated and cold-but it is shelter)

if its just you or 2 of you - and you get an early start, you will probably be ok - but as skiguy says - it is very popular on new years - I wouldn't be surprised it is full that night. In fact - I would bet it is full that night.

No camping is allowed within 1/4 mile of the RMC cabins/shelters except the tent platforms at the Perch. Obviously the caretaker has made exceptions in those unusual circumstances.

If Gray Knob is full, often Crag Camp isn't. It's certainly not as comfy as GK in winter but it's not that bad.

-dave-

ohh - and one other thing worth mentioning - in past years I have witnessed the caretakers there be a bit liberal with the count at grey knob (OK by my book!!) - people sleeping downstairs, etc.

The new caretaker (who is a great guy please don't get me wrong here) didn't appear to be as loose with that policy. once full - he seemed to tell people to go to crag (or mentioned he would - on the night we were there I think we were the exact number)

- so he is more by the book I guess.