Group Member Oddly Geared Up

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hikers and the kilt

Ah, well, Jason, when we are young and foolish we do rather foolish things. In this case, IMHO, hiking barefoot. I have seen the oddest things on people's feet on that trail.
However, the older we get, the better we were. Besides, those college children will find this was one hike they can't tell their children about...

Intrestin' remark on the kilt. My understanding is that "commando" means what everyone thinks it does, but "regimental" means the tartan of a particular regiment. For example, www.sportkilt.com sells kilts in the tartans of the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment the Black Watch, the 94th Gordon Highlanders, the 78th Seaforth Highlanders, the 91st/93rd Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, and one or two more which escape me just now. Although there are no laws against it especially in the USA, I will not wear the tartan of a regiment or a clan with which I have no connection. It would not feel at all right. There are many tartans available to everyone.
The Sportkilt tartan I wear is called a hunting tartan. Basically it is a grey and green check with black borders and alternating thin red and yellow overstripes.
If you buy a Sportkilt, IMO the best model is the original one, no outside pockets, and with the pleats sewn down, for a small extra charge. Believe you me, if you carry a pack, you need the pleats sewn down. If you are not carrying a large pack, a sporran or similar pouch on a belt replaces the pockets of (eeyew) trousers. The more you wear the kilt, the more you will wear it.
One of these days we will have to have a kilty hike... wha kens, we may run intae thae lot wha hike in ballgoons. Noo there's a sicht for yer een... jist sae they dinna drink a' the whisky.