Group Member Oddly Geared Up

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't there a group in NH AMC that "dressed" in gowns for a climb? Back around the year 1999?

Wasn't there a group in NH AMC that "dressed" in gowns for a climb? Back around the year 1999?
Such events have been going on for quite a while...

For instance, there was a tradition of formal dinners on Montecello Lawn (Mt Jefferson)... (My memory is a bit hazy on the group--it might have been the DOC.)

Doug

Saw a guy ungeared up, once in Vermont. Nothing, but boots and backpack.

Saw pretty much the same -- boots and briefs only -- on the summit of Mt. Snowdon (Wales) in snow, foggy, 15-degree weather with -20 windchill a couple of years ago.

We assumed that this guy lost a wager of some sort.

Last edited:
There have been many formal dress occasions in the Whites. The 6000'er club would dress in formal wear and drink copious amounts of alcohol on the little bumps near the summit of Washington, then stumble back to Lakes. I've carried a tuxedo for the summits on a Presie Traverse. And many summit celebrations in stylish attire.

m23.jpg

Saw these crazy blokes one day at an RMC cabin....

Period dress.

My mind wants to blow away the mists of time a few years, maybe three now, to recall a group of 21st century women who hiked in Edwardian attire (long heavy skirts) just to see what their great-grandmothers had to endure on the trail. Frankly, although the AMC had the good sense to admit women as full voting members at its second meeting in February 1876, it took about 40 years before women started dressing for comfort and function on the hill.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned men wearing the kilt, but maybe that is so obviously appropriate or so popular that no one thinks them odd any more...

Creag nan drochaid

Pink bikini

9-1-07 while on a Franconia Ridge walk, south to north..I went down to Greenleaf hut and took a break..while resting, a few attractive ladies, one in a ittie bittie pink bikini, came out of the hut and started up to Lafayette..it was very funny to listen to the uproar coming from the male hikers headed down from the summit!!

9-1-07 while on a Franconia Ridge walk, south to north..I went down to Greenleaf hut and took a break..while resting, a few attractive ladies, one in a ittie bittie pink bikini, came out of the hut and started up to Lafayette..it was very funny to listen to the uproar coming from the male hikers headed down from the summit!!

Same story almost: weekend before last (9/4) we took the Mt Kinsman trail. We heard a lot of chatter from hikers coming off the ridge about a group of UNH girls in only sports bras and shorts. Between the two peaks, we ran into them... and they were a group that I knew (long story, friends of my brother-in-laws girlfriend) and had just gone hiking with a month before! My hiking buddy was happy that they stopped and chatted with us for a few minutes. :cool: They were the talk of the ridge that day.

-Somewhere along the AT in Pennsylvania or thereabouts in fall of 2000, my partner and I were headed down a mountain when we passed 3 boys heading up. They may have been about 12 YO. They had face makeup on like clowns, but I recall thinking more "Jokerish." I remember thinking how far we were from road crossings (though there may have been other access). It wasn't Halloween.

The husky one in the back looks at me as they go by and says, "this is a long effin hike!" But he said it. Middle school boys. I don't even want to know. :eek:

-Smoky Mountains in a shelter in winter. Some guys in fatigues run by out of the woods, not on the trail, probably practicing wilderness travel, etc. Yelling into a radio as they go by the shelter and see us, "There's a pig in the poke!! There's a pig in the poke!!" which, if I understand the phrase, makes no sense whatsoever. Funny nonetheless. :D

-Doesn't the RMC do periodic hikes in 1800's garb? I seem to recall something about that...

-I know I can think of more...I spent time talking to an interesting and fit 75 YO guy on Carrigain this summer packing a pistol...keeping it alive. I've seen naked hikers a few times, and well... :rolleyes:

Good thread.

So ... were the men in Ballgowns also? Just part of the requirement? Cross-dressers?;)

Gowns For Greenbacks on the Summit of Eagle Mtn in the Catskills.
album.php

Lets just say that Bushwhacking in a Gown was interesting - nettles and prickers present a whole new obstacle!

I saw a guy carrying an ice axe on Monadnock in the dead of winter. I wouldn't have laughed exept for the sneakers and skinny jeans he paired it with.

And then there was a year ago July in the Pemi. It was getting close to dark, about 8 PM. My partner decided to continue on the Bondcliff Trail to Guyot Shelter. I headed out alone to West Bond, maybe my favorite view in the Whites.

Expecting the usual stunning view, I instead startled two hikers in the throws of passion atop the summit. I'm sure they thought they would be alone at that point in the night. Can't blame them but it may have been wise to move further along the ridge and past the true summit. :eek:

And then there was a year ago July in the Pemi. It was getting close to dark, about 8 PM. My partner decided to continue on the Bondcliff Trail to Guyot Shelter. I headed out alone to West Bond, maybe my favorite view in the Whites.

Expecting the usual stunning view, I instead startled two hikers in the throws of passion atop the summit. I'm sure they thought they would be alone at that point in the night. Can't blame them but it may have been wise to move further along the ridge and past the true summit. :eek:

Sounds like a stunning view nonetheless! :eek: