Group Member Oddly Geared Up

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-Smoky Mountains in a shelter in winter. Some guys in fatigues run by out of the woods, not on the trail, probably practicing wilderness travel, etc. Yelling into a radio as they go by the shelter and see us, "There's a pig in the poke!! There's a pig in the poke!!" which, if I understand the phrase, makes no sense whatsoever. Funny nonetheless.
[QUOTE/]

Sounds like you were in someone else's regular stomping ground. Not to offend anyone but to make some sense of the guys yelling in the fatiques; but I would possibly understand their yelling as the "poke" being the shelter you were in and whom the "Pig" was...well you get the idea. ;)

Last edited:
hmmm....that didn't happen to be on the AT between Maine Jct and West Bridgewater, did it?

I understand it was in the Evans Notch area. Blueberry Mountain, perhaps. On the way to the hike, my friend was in a car following his and watched the man crash into a few hanging mailboxes. At the trailhead he wondered why his car was dented.

Jason - had you heard of this or perhaps been unfortunate enough to have seen it?

I once met an overweight friend on a trail who was wearing nothing but a Speedo. It was just a tad awkward! :eek: I tried with all my might to just make eye contact!

You just reminded me, Tom, that I saw a man in a Speedo out at Yosemite. We had just topped the Four Mile Trail. It was awkward enough, but would have been much worse if I had known him. I guess if someone is dressed like that in public, they want you to look. :eek:

I understand it was in the Evans Notch area. Blueberry Mountain, perhaps. On the way to the hike, my friend was in a car following his and watched the man crash into a few hanging mailboxes. At the trailhead he wondered why his car was dented.

Jason - had you heard of this or perhaps been unfortunate enough to have seen it?

About 10 years ago, a couple friends and I decided to hike from ME Jct to West Bridgewater on the AT. One of my hiking companions was a bit out of shape, and dressed a bit poorly for the adventure. Cotton shirt, cut-off jeans, cotton socks, and merrell jungle mocs. It was HOT. It rained the ENTIRE time. Aforementioned friend encountered some chafing issues, and decided it was best to continue the hike in his tidy-whities.

Sounds like you were in someone else's regular stomping ground. Not to offend anyone but to make some sense of the guys yelling in the fatiques; but I would possibly understand their yelling as the "poke" being the shelter you were in and whom the "Pig" was...well you get the idea. ;)

That was my thought too. There's an old adage warning against "buying a pig in a poke", i.e., paying for something without inspecting the goods. "There's a pig in the poke" is not much of a code, but it's slightly less obvious than "there's a horse in the barn" or "there's a chicken on the roost".

"Poke" means bag or purse; the "pockets" in your pants are small pokes. "Pouch" comes from the same root. The incautious buyer of "a pig in a poke" usually found a few alley cats inside, rather than a plump bundle of living bacon.

We were camping at East Pond, which is close enough to the riff-raff that some interesting sites were about. One guy, big biker dude, shows up in full jeans, black leather riding boots, jean jacket, and a big cowboy hat. Walks to the edge of the shore, and dives in, fully clothed.

Walks out, gets his floating hat, puts it on his head, goes back to his party to grab his beer, and turns around to walk back down the trail. Everyone in his party is cheering.

My brother coyly coments "I bet he'll have a serious case of swamp-ass soon enough."

I am surprised that no one has mentioned men wearing the kilt, but maybe that is so obviously appropriate or so popular that no one thinks them odd any more...

Creag nan drochaid
I've been hiking in a kilt for the past three years, both summer and winter, and no one even notices anymore, which is fine by me.

We were camping at East Pond, which is close enough to the riff-raff that some interesting sites were about. One guy, big biker dude, shows up in full jeans, black leather riding boots, jean jacket, and a big cowboy hat. Walks to the edge of the shore, and dives in, fully clothed.

Walks out, gets his floating hat, puts it on his head, goes back to his party to grab his beer, and turns around to walk back down the trail. Everyone in his party is cheering.

My brother coyly coments "I bet he'll have a serious case of swamp-ass soon enough."

Sounds like the beer he grabbed after the dive was not the first he had that day.

Where did you get it? They are quite expensive in the Irish stores around Rochester NY.

I have two:
The one I wear the most I got at Sports Kilt. If you do order one, do not get the pockets they are too expensive and useless because anything you put in them will bounce off your thighs all day.

http://www.sportkilt.com/?gclid=CLLB-4z2rqsCFY125Qodcx0PNA

The other one I got from Mountain Hardware. They are generally only available just before the start of Thru-hiker season for obvious reasons. It is not a bad kilt, though it does look more like a skirt than a kilt, so I would stick with the Sports Kilt.

And no, I do not go Regimental.