Guyot Shelter questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
I plan on heading to the Bonds via Zealand this Sunday or Monday with my three teenagers to complete our 48. We are dayhikers, have stayed at all the huts, but have never been to Guyot or backpacked. I only have one 2 person tent and I don't want to be buying additional gear so I figured some of us would stay at the shelter. I'm wondering if there are bunks in the shelter or do we sleep on the floor? I assume that nothing is provided (i.e. mattresses) and we will need to bring sleeping bags and pads which we do have. I also assume that on a Sunday or Monday night the campsite will not be crowded and we will have no problem staying at the shelter. If we arrive and the caretaker is out do we just claim a spot before we hit the peaks? I've read that there are no bear boxes so can food be kept in the shelter or will we need to string it up? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There aren't any bunks in the shelter... you either sleep on the floor or on the loft area. There are no mattresses so you are right that you'll need sleeping pads. Just walk in and claim a spot if the caretaker isn't there. He/She will be around later to collect the money. When I've stayed in the shelter, we've hung the food inside it... might be good to bring some extra rope though just in case the caretaker asks to you hang it elsewhere.

Enjoy!

- Ivy

In general, on a Sunday or Monday night, you should be able to get spots in the shelter. BUT, it would be best if you were prepared to camp if needed. All it takes is for one large group to come and fill up the shelter. Do you have a tarp that you can bring and use to rig up if needed?

http://www.hikethewhites.com/guyot_shelter.html

You might be rolling the dice by showing up as a group of four, with only one 2-person tent. You never know how full a backcountry campsite is gonna be...boy scout group, youth group, or just a coincidental influx of people due to a good forecast, or the fact that this coming monday is a RI holiday (yes, we are the only state that still recognizes Victory over Japan Day --- one of the few governmental things Rhode Islanders can be proud of).

Bottom line, show up early if you can, but always be prepared for a full shelter.

Last edited:
Last year, on a weeknight AFTER Labor Day, there were quite a few people at Guyot. Many seemed to prefer their tents, and there was room in the shelter, but still . . . I wouldn't bet on availability if you arrive late.

I'd echo what others have said, but would add if you haven't slept in a shelter that it can be a fun experience. If you can, the loft is the way to go.
Here's a picture of my son at Guyot first thing in the morning.

Guyot

You will definitely have the advantage hiking in from Zealand Road. It has been my experience (I have been in and around the Pemi for decades and was once the caretaker at Guyot) that those who tackle the Bonds from the Kanc show up much later that those who approach via the Twinway. Also, you may consider sending the speedier member of your party ahead to stake claim to a tent platform or shelter space. The trail is fairly easy from Zealand Mtn. to Guyot. Hope for good weather and have a great trip!

wardsgirl said:
Also, you may consider sending the speedier member of your party ahead to stake claim to a tent platform or shelter space. The trail is fairly easy from Zealand Mtn. to Guyot.

I'd opt for getting an early start and keeping the group together. I once temporarily "lost" a teenager on that route, straightforward as it may seem. That can really ruin your whole day ;)

Thanks everyone. We'll be sure to get an early start to be safe. Excited to complete the 48 list although we hiked Katahdin last Firday so the list may be expanding.

Dragonfly said:
I've read that there are no bear boxes so can food be kept in the shelter or will we need to string it up? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

About 15 years ago I was on my way to Guyout and met a hiker at the Junction of Bondcliff Trail and the Twinway whom had been coming from Guyout. He was rather upset and adamantly warned of the Man eating mice that lived in the shelter. I gave my condolences as he showed me the LARGE hole that was patched with duct tape on the side of his brand new pack that had been digested by the nylon eating Mice.
Another time I was at Guyout I was awoken by the Rattling of mice doing there mess kit ballet on some trampers poorly cleaned plate that was left in the corner much to the rodent's pleasure.
Then there was another time I was there and I was also awoken again, but this time the four legged little fury thing with the tail was doing the tube steak boogie on my face; and yes I had brushed my teeth and had cleaned the food particles from my beard.
I 've never seen a bear up at Guyout not to say they could'nt be there but stringing your food to protect from Mickey Mouse and crew is probably a good idea. ;)

Last edited: