Hamlin-Baxter-North Brother

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
A visit in Baxter State Park for three new summits for us. We stayed in a motel in Millinocket on thursday and friday.

On friday june 25 we did Hamlin and Baxter. Our plan was to hike those two on saterday but the weather was sunny for friday and cloudy with 40% chance of rain on saturday. We climbed by the Abol Tr, because Annie has vertigo and could not climb by the Knife Edge. The view from and near Hamlin was gorgeous. And on Baxter also, the view of the Knife Edge is fantastic. We had to go down the Abol Tr very slowly. Because Annie was scare.

PHOTOS OF HAMLIN & BAXTER

On saturday we did North Brother, with no view and 2 hours of rain and half hour of strog rain. No view, very windy and fog on the summit.
We were happy to meet 5 hikers from the forum on our way up to the summit.

PHOTOS OF NORTH BROTHER

Two hike in Baxter park and three new mountains for us.
It is far from home, but it was a very nice trip.
:):)

50 peaks 50 states 50 days

Nice report and pics, yvon...looks like you had great weather.

I noticed in one of your images there is the vehicle used by Matt Moniz, sponsored by Mountain Hardwear. Looks like he summited on the 25th.

Did you happen to see him on the mountain?

Nice report and pics, yvon...looks like you had great weather.

I noticed in one of your images there is the vehicle used by Matt Moniz, sponsored by Mountain Hardwear. Looks like he summited on the 25th.

Did you happen to see him on the mountain?

Thank you.
No I did not met him. I saw the vehicule, when we arrived at the parking and I did not know what it was. Now I know, thank you for the information.

Yvon, I was just curious about why you chose Abol over the Hunt Trail (Appalachian Trail)? I find the Hunt Trail to be a little less scary than any of the others except perhaps for the Saddle Trail on the Chimney Pond side of the Mountain. Was there no parking at Katahdin Stream campground?

Nice pictures, looks like you had a nice day for your Katahdin summit. Every time I've climbed Katahdin I've been rained on, though in one case the rain waited until we were on the way down, and we had sun at the top.

I hope you save Abraham and Bigelow for a great day, those are two really special mountains.

Chris

Yvon, I was just curious about why you chose Abol over the Hunt Trail (Appalachian Trail)? I find the Hunt Trail to be a little less scary than any of the others except perhaps for the Saddle Trail on the Chimney Pond side of the Mountain. Was there no parking at Katahdin Stream campground?
Chris

We try to go down on the Hunt trail, and she was to scare from the Hunt summit. We go back and take Abol to go back very slowly on the slide.

Hey Yvon! It was great running into you and Annie on the trail of North Brother. We were thinking about you two when the rain started up. Congrats on 3 more peaks and as always beautiful photos!

Yvon and Annie,

What a surprise it was to see you climbing North Brother!

While climbing Redington on Tuesday, I met your friend, Mountain Eagle (and Mrs.), who were descending by the logging road. That was a long day for me.

Good luck on your NE111 finish!!!

On friday june 25 we did Hamlin and Baxter. Our plan was to hike those two on saterday but the weather was sunny for friday and cloudy with 40% chance of rain on saturday.

I was on Hamlin the same day, went up blueberry knoll, up howe ridge, over to hamlin, and down hamlin ridge. Yes, what a great day! Even though I'd done Katahdin many times, this was my first time up Hamlin. It definitely won't be the last, the views were outstanding.

There are some photos of my trip here if you are interested:
http://sopomedia.com/photos/index.php?/category/111

with panoramic images here (you have to scroll to see the whole image):
http://sopomedia.com/photos/index.php?/category/112

What a wonderful day that was! Nice TR yvon.

Last edited: