Hancocks 1/10/10 (Gee everyone is doing it?)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
After last week’s aborted attempt to nail the Hancocks, Marty, Tuco, Rols, and LarryD and I went at it again. We were treated—an understatement—to a bluebird day, well, packed trails, with one imperfection with the summit winds on So. Hancock, it was a perfect day for hiking.

We stepped off, with much slowness in suiting up, strapping snowshoes, and gaiters as the wind gods surely challenged us as we brushed them off with colorful words and went our to Cedar Brook.

We could have barebooted it, but couldn’t risk potholes. The dicey stream crossings were nothing more than snow arches under our snowshoes. We broke off into a quicker group, and the scenic deliberators, for some wanted to move; and to document the amazing weather.

On a personal note, one of my feet opened up a nice big hole that revealed a frozen stream, hope Eric got pix of that, while stopping midway between junctions.

As the crunches and dangling of glove chords on our trekking poles lead us to the junction of North and South Hancock, we decided to climb from the south and over the north. It was not without a reminiscence of the legendary cocoa incident of ’06 that transpired in similar company, we did not have roses to leave on the rock where it happened.

I will not do the South Peak ascent at all! That was a challenge of character, a couple blowdowns and a very tricky slope that called for televators. But we made it and I suppose you call it a cocktease, in more vulgar terms in respects to the surprise turns that deceive you into thinking you made it.

The south summit had great views but not without the price of whipping winds. We all put on shells and heavier gloves, and I was freezing and my hands were numbing, Marty can attest to that himself.

Thankfully we kept moving across the gentle ridge between the two peaks. The whole surrounding was magical, tight snow laden conifers making passage feel like a maze, the glazed Arrow Slide, and the sheer majesty of the whole country was just amazing. The intricacies of rime ice and the whiteness, completed the definition of silence from the noise of our society.

We summited and prepared for the descent, glissading! My goodness it was the first for me on a mountain. The danger and manly risks of guiding by trees and braking with snowshoes sped the descent down, but it was definitely a highlight of our climb. Marty said later that, "I hope that next time we get out that there is some butt sliding like we encountered on N. Hancock and watching Eric get a treeful of snow fall on him was hysterical. What a blast!"

Larry was right, once after the second junction, you want out. We moved quickly in our time. My youth demanded the last run uphill after crossing the Kanc and then I rejoiced, it was all over. But it was the feeling of accomplishment that was the best name of that moment. For I was now number forty-one, and seven down. But the timing was crazy, seven flat hours! And we were done at 2:30.

We all missed you Mike and Bobby and we most certainly missed Ray’s presence and toasted to all three of you in celebration of as Eric said, "Was an unusual winter hike yesterday. Misery, fun, pain, grumbling, cold, 10 pounds of snow on the head, etc."

Trip pix: http://community.webshots.com/album/576269652aRjQai?vhost=community

Clarke, nice hitting the trail with you again. Your trip report and pictures captured it all. It was a great Winter hike. I am glad we chose a sheltered trip...Just off the summit my temp. gauge read -15. I would not have believed it but the temp. was intense so I had little doubt about its accuracy.

The Hancock's make such a wonderful snowshoe trip. Thanks to all on the trip for the usual trail fellowship

It amazes me just how different wind conditions can be throughout the Whites. I always considered the Hancocks to be a relatively sheltered hike and a good one for a day like today. I'm surprised that you ran into so much wind while I felt almost none on the relatively open summit of Carter Dome.

The Hancocks are such a fun Winter hike. I love the butt sliding down the South side of the loop. It sure makes that 0.7 miles go quickly!

It amazes me just how different wind conditions can be throughout the Whites. I always considered the Hancocks to be a relatively sheltered hike and a good one for a day like today. I'm surprised that you ran into so much wind while I felt almost none on the relatively open summit of Carter Dome.

The Hancocks are such a fun Winter hike. I love the butt sliding down the South side of the loop. It sure makes that 0.7 miles go quickly!

The funny thing is, the wind conditions were localized even on the Hancocks. The further North we went on the ridge, the less wind. The only real open area on the ridge, the viewpoint at North, was almost wind-free.

You are right, the butt-sliding (we descended from North) is fun.

I will not do the South Peak ascent at all! That was a challenge of character, a couple blowdowns and a very tricky slope that called for televators. But we made it and I suppose you call it a cocktease, in more vulgar terms in respects to the surprise turns that deceive you into thinking you made it.

Can you say that ?
Anyways, always good hiking on the Hancocks, especially Arrow Slide.:)

Hey Clarke,

great hiking with you and the boys once again. Congrats to you and Tuco for knocking down two on your list.

One thing to add on the hike: we had the pleasure to meet LRiz and Cath Goodwin in the early afternon. It was very easy to recognize LRiz, as she was sporting her famous blue snowpants :cool:. Great to meet you both!

We also had the pleasure to meet B the Hiker and ran into my pal Rocket21 at the Lincoln Woods Parking lot (we stopped to use their heated facilities). Glad you guys had a successful Owl's Head hike.

Best of luck back at school if I don't see you this week, Clarke. :)

Marty