hancocks, clockwise or counterclockwise?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
I ask this question cause one in our group has more difficulty in going up than coming down. Is one approach milder than the other?

As Mohammed says, it's very steep either way. I prefer clockwise by a slight margin for a couple of reasons. One is that there's a small ravine you down-climb if you do the loop clockwise. Otherwise, you have to climb out of this ravine at the end of the loop, which is a bit disagreeable. The second that the clockwise route seems to have better handholds for pulling yourself up, and I find it slightly easier as the grade appears to be a bit steeper than off S. Hancock.

But, the difference is slight. It's a tough loop -wet going in and out, and rough on the climb/descent and the views are so-so. I never heard anyone say it was their favorite hike!

I know it's a bit uncouth but I'll pass along a PM that Eric just sent me which brings back (un)fond memories of doing problems from Goldstein's book while in graduate school. Anyone who has ever been a physics graduate student know what I mean:

Barbarossa said:
always do them in a counter clockwise fashion. It's not noticebly faster, but you fatigue less easily.

Coriolis effect. Gets you every time. Except: go clockwise, go with the arrows.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Thanks guys, this is good stuff. Though the coriolis jazz may induce headaches.

Dorothy: Now which way do we go?
Scarecrow: Pardon me, this way is a very nice way.
Dorothy: Who said that?
[Toto barks at scarecrow]
Dorothy: Don't be silly, Toto. Scarecrows don't talk.
Scarecrow: [points other way] It's pleasant down that way, too.
Dorothy: That's funny. Wasn't he pointing the other way?
Scarecrow: [points both ways] Of course, some people do go both ways.

Prefer up North & down south, same thought with Presi Traverse, get higher elevation out of the way first. (I agree with Kevin about coming up after descending North too.) So far 3 trips, up North twice, up South once, one North trip was winter with Sherpa K & the good Dr. :)

S. Hancock vs. North

Long ago recollection:
The steep section of S. Hancock is shorter and sandier than the N. Hancock steep bit. Folks who have trouble with very steep descents and bad knees (like me) usually will go up the N. Peak and down the S. to minimize the pain.

In winter, the opposite direction seems better.

does th ealternating tip of the earth's axis reverse the coriolis effect?

Clockwise for the reasons listed (though Dr. Wu's logic was decidedly over my head). :p

In between

Like Mike P. i've been up 3 times, twice up North first. the last time we went up South first. This seemed shorter and easier. The difference seemed to be the in between summits. The hike from north to south seemed like downhill the whole way, though it's not. From south to north seemed tougher as it's a longer climb to get up north going counter clockwise. IMOH, anything gained by making the easier climb of south first is lost on the in between.

Kevin R- if you're still reading this thread, you probably don't remember us, but we ran into you on the Hancocks in May of '02. I think Emma thought Brutus was a bear.

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns4000/hancocks52402/hancocks52402.html

Brutus and Emma got their patches together in April '03.

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns3000/awards403/awards403.html

We met again on Eisenhower in '05. No pictures.

KD Talbot

Kevin said:
Kevin R- if you're still reading this thread, you probably don't remember us, but we ran into you on the Hancocks in May of '02. I think Emma thought Brutus was a bear.

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns4000/hancocks52402/hancocks52402.html

Brutus and Emma got their patches together in April '03.

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns3000/awards403/awards403.html

We met again on Eisenhower in '05. No pictures.

KD Talbot

Yes, as soon as I saw the pictures from the 2002 awards ceremony I remembered. Thanks for the memories - that awards ceremoney was a big one for me also as I'd completed 3 lists, including the 111's, and Brutus had finished his all-season 4's. It was my wife's first time at the 4K soiree (she hikes, but is not a peakbagger). On the way home I asked how she'd liked it, and she startled me by saying she'd go again if/when Brutus finished his winter 4's.

So, it's really all her fault ...